Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Temps

Sort of a newbie question here I suppose.  I did my first set of pizzas (regular, not deep dish) on my LBGE some time ago.  I used the platesetter and a pizza stone, and ended up baking everything at around 550 dome.  I wanted to go higher but was having problems getting the egg up to much larger temps, so I just went with it.

The pizza came out really well.  So my question is: is there a big difference in flavor/texture cooking at higher temps - like the 650 or 700+ ?  I guess I don't see the need to go higher than 550 if the pizza comes out great at that temp, but I'm open to try it if there's a good reason.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Glad to hear your pie came out the way you wanted it to. Always an interesting debate. I think Doc and I like to cook much you did, because it works for us - meaning the dough type, moisture and thickness with the typical topping we use just seems to be best at that temp. Sounds like you found a sweet spot with your pizza cook. 
    I have used a thinner, moister dough (usually a cold rise) with less topping and hit them at 600+, very good and cooks in much less time, but I am not trying to fill orders for pizza. Typical cook is one or two pies, so waiting 8-12 minutes is not a big deal. 

At lower temps your gasket will also last a bit longer. To each his own. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    My pizza eaters like a lot of toppings so I have found that 425 to 450 works very well for me.  I can also use parchment paper at that temp which makes my life easier.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Glad to hear your pie came out the way you wanted it to. Always an interesting debate. I think Doc and I like to cook much you did, because it works for us - meaning the dough type, moisture and thickness with the typical topping we use just seems to be best at that temp. Sounds like you found a sweet spot with your pizza cook. 
    I have used a thinner, moister dough (usually a cold rise) with less topping and hit them at 600+, very good and cooks in much less time, but I am not trying to fill orders for pizza. Typical cook is one or two pies, so waiting 8-12 minutes is not a big deal. 

At lower temps your gasket will also last a bit longer. To each his own. 
    Thanks.  I think it took a little less than 10 minutes for the pies to cook at the 550.  We did three of them, and the first was definitely cooling off by the time the third was finished.