Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Water heater broke. Which brands are are best?

Options
Sweet100s
Sweet100s Posts: 553
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
My sister's water heater broke. Which brands are are best? 

Evernote is down - my notes on this are in there.  I believe my plumber recommended AO smith and Bradford white. 

ps:  Yay for Sous Vide!  I can just toss the chicken breasts in the fridge!

pps:  Is it possible to make the water go some place safe instead of all over the place when they DO break?   I'm going to install a D-link sensor on mine.   But I'd really like another fail-safe so that the water diverts to someplace intentional when it leaks.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    AO Smith is the best
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    This may sound stupid to some here, but after I turned 65 I decided I would NEVER replace another hot water heater myself like I had 2 of them before. I ended up selecting a Whirlpool brand with a 12 year warranty, which cost me $125 to have it installed in my basement and the old one carried off. I will NEVER regret that decision plus it gave me a real wake up call to letting some younger dude do that heavy lifting sh*t thereby giving him a job. Shortly thereafter I paid $9K to have my home painted outside for the first time in 34 years. 
    I'm not taking it with me and dying from a heart attack or falling 24 feet off a ladder outside is just plain stupid!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    Bradford White or Rheem.  They do have drip pans that come with a drain with a hose connection you could run to a sump pump but they usually only work with a small leak, if the whole thing leaks you are still SOL.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    If it is a simple leak then a drip pan with a drain tube or a small sump type pump and hose can feed it somewhere else.

However, they don't always fail in such a neat fashion. The last water heater I replaced developed a leak at one of the threaded fittings and was spraying water in a stream about 10 feet long. No drip pan would deal with that. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
     I ended up selecting a Whirlpool brand with a 12 year warranty, which cost me $125 to have it installed in my basement and the old one carried off.
    I forgot to further explain - whether I purchased a cheap 3 year warranty one or the 12 year warranty one the installation charge of $125 was the same. I didn't even need my fingers, toes or a calculator to help me figure the best option.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
     Thanks everyone.

This makes me want to put an instant water shut off  somewhere when I replace mine. So I can easily turn  all water off when on vacation.

Does that exist? 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Have you consider a tankless? Rinnai. 
    I have 2 AO Smith units (1 for main house and 1 for Mother-in-law suite which happens to be my Mother) and have been satisfied. 
    There are obvious benefits to a tankless unit but, the cost/savings can end up being a wash if you have to modify a lot to get it to spec design. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't know which brand is better.  I think that they often use a lot of universal parts.  I have have a Rheem that I put in a few years ago.  The flammable vapor sensor went relatively quickly.  I think that it was under warranty, but I just bought a new one to get it fixed quickly.  My dad's water heater started leaking last week and I helped him haul the new one in and the old one out.

I put a pan under mine this time.  I still have to hook it up properly, but I have a sensor for my alarm system that will set off an alarm if the tanks starts to leak and collect in the pan.

To save the tank, one is supposed to be able to by a new sacrificial anode before the old one is exhausted to extend the life of the water heater.  A bigger anode or additional anode is supposed to be the biggest difference between a 12 year and 9 year water  heater in terms of life.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mine went out last week and we put in a Rheem. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Have you consider a tankless? Rinnai. 
    I have 2 AO Smith units (1 for main house and 1 for Mother-in-law suite which happens to be my Mother) and have been satisfied. 
    There are obvious benefits to a tankless unit but, the cost/savings can end up being a wash if you have to modify a lot to get it to spec design. 
    This.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I recently replaced mine with an 80 gallon Rheem hybrid electric water heater. Wasn't cheap, but we have a big house and it's just me and my wife, so we have to have a big water heater to supply the house when needed but that's not the norm so this unit should save us money over the long term. The unit connects to wifi and has an app so that I can switch between heat pump only, hybrid, or electric only (or just turn it off like I do for vacations). Living in SE Florida with the water heater in the garage, I have plenty of hot air for it to use so I leave it in heat pump only (side benefit: it's like a small AC for that corner of the garage).

Been very pleased with it so far.

When they installed the drip pan, they cut a hole on the side facing the garage so that if the pan does start to fill, the water will drain onto the garage floor and not the interior wall. Obviously if the failure is catastrophic, all bets are off.

As for vacation, I just shut water main to the whole house from outside. You never know what line will break (washer, hot water heater, dishwasher, sink, toilet, etc.). At least the damage will be limited to what's in the pipes.

Be aware that replacing the water heater may require a permit from your city so if you do it yourself, be sure you check into that.

Also, check if the local utility offers rebates on energy efficient models. And there is a small federal tax credit for energy efficient models as well.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Replacing AO Smith in one of our rent houses in Salado on the morning. Worked 12 years and contractors grade. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've been told they are all crap now. Designed to barely last the warranty period. I wouldn't overspend because even the high dollar ones will crap out in less than ten years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    they all seem to die one month before the warranty is up, i try to buy the same one to make the plumbing easier. i seem to be collecting the old ones in the basement =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    they all seem to die one month before the warranty is up, i try to buy the same one to make the plumbing easier. i seem to be collecting the old ones in the basement =)
    This is also difficult to do. They change the damn plumbing up so it's either more costly for you or a PITA to do yourself. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I suggest staying away from big box retailer models. Find a Plumbing vendor/wholesaler and get a quality model. Difference between lasting 5 years and lasting 15 years.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    Options
    This is also difficult to do. They change the damn plumbing up so it's either more costly for you or a PITA to do yourself. 
    ive been lucky with the last two at the house, ao smith, same connection placement. the one at camp is built into the wall behind the tub enclosure, that one was a pia
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    I've been told they are all crap now. Designed to barely last the warranty period. I wouldn't overspend because even the high dollar ones will crap out in less than ten years.
    I believe that to be the truth with furnaces nowadays too! My gas fired forced air YORK is now 37 years old. Knock on wood - it has never had a problem hence not even one service call on it! OTOH my neighbors (subdivision of 93 homes) have all had their original furnaces replaced 2 or even 4 times! One dealer whose brand I won't mention seems to get most all of the replacements and barely a day goes by that one of their repair trucks aren't in the neighborhood! 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    I believe that to be the truth with furnaces nowadays too! My gas fired forced air YORK is now 37 years old. Knock on wood - it has never had a problem hence not even one service call on it! OTOH my neighbors (subdivision of 93 homes) have all had their original furnaces replaced 2 or even 4 times! One dealer whose brand I won't mention seems to get most all of the replacements and barely a day goes by that one of their repair trucks aren't in the neighborhood! 
    the beach house water heater went out a few years ago, maybe 50 years old, sat in beach sand its hole life, been flooded with sea water during storm surges, never had a problem. new one and the outer shell is already rusting off, i see a replacement coming every couple years now
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I suggest staying away from big box retailer models. Find a Plumbing vendor/wholesaler and get a quality model. Difference between lasting 5 years and lasting 15 years.
    Just not as much a difference anymore. It's a shame. Spend 1000 on a so called commercial or higher grade water heater and it barely lasts the warranty. The plumbers I know openly will tell you they are crap nowadays.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Repiping is a PITA?  With all the MAPP torches I see lighting lump you'd think a couple of y'all could actually use it to braze copper. :giggle:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
     With all the MAPP torches I see lighting lump you'd think a couple of y'all could actually use it to braze copper. :giggle:
    Well, sir, the last time I did use mine to braze some copper was when I made this handy-dandy wrist brace!

• pgprescott
    Options
    Repiping is a PITA?  With all the MAPP torches I see lighting lump you'd think a couple of y'all could actually use it to braze copper. :giggle:
    You're a pro. If I asked you to do JIC's math problems you'd squeal.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    The quality of all home related items have decreased because of HD and Lowes. HD sets the price point and leaves the manufacturers scrambling to turn a profit. That results in plastic bushing instead of metal, lower quality motors, cheaper finishes etc. The end result is that former best in class brands like Hunter sell a bunch of crap now. I saw this time and time again when I built a custom house back in 05. The good stuff is so ridiculously overpriced though. I remember buying bath sinks faucets for $400 each because I thought the $130 dollar ones were cheaply made. In retrospect, maybe it's better to buy the $130 faucets as the expensive ones probably wouldn't last three times longer. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    The quality of all home related items have decreased because of HD and Lowes. HD sets the price point and leaves the manufacturers scrambling to turn a profit. That results in plastic bushing instead of metal, lower quality motors, cheaper finishes etc. The end result is that former best in class brands like Hunter sell a bunch of crap now. I saw this time and time again when I built a custom house back in 05. The good stuff is so ridiculously overpriced though. I remember buying bath sinks faucets for $400 each because I thought the $130 dollar ones were cheaply made. In retrospect, maybe it's better to buy the $130 faucets as the expensive ones probably wouldn't last three times longer. 
    Amen to that. Everything is disposable. Remember small appliance and vacuum repair shops? When was the last time you saw one?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Ours was new when we moved in but it's nice they used shark bites for the plumbing. Will be easy to remove and re-pipe when I need to.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We had ours replaced a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea what brand, but we like our plumber and trust his judgement.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Amen to that. Everything is disposable. Remember small appliance and vacuum repair shops? When was the last time you saw one?
    Or a TV repair shop? With the cost line for repair labor going up and product price dropping, there's just no room for household item repairmen in the market today. It's just cheaper to toss it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I was told that the higher length warranties on the water heaters is for contractors who purchase them for install and want less liability. The lower end water heaters are basically the same item with a lesser warranty. I bought the mid grade Rheem from HD and saved a couple hundred over the platinum series with a better warranty. Suits me just fine. 
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    Get a Rinnai tankless hot water system. You can thank me later.