Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered a small BGE...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
as well as a nest, cover, and grill grabber. Can't wait to get it and get started. [p]I been browsing this board to help me make my decision, and from what I can tell, I won't regret it. I decided to go with the small because about the largest thing I'll do is a turkey breast or a brisket. I'm an avid griller and occasional smoker, so hopefully I can learn to use the BGE. Is the egg great for grilling chicken/steaks/pork chops, as well as seafood? Does the BGE come with a cook book? Can you use a good quality charcoal of the BGE lumps arn't available?[p]I'll be checking back for advice.[p]Thanks,
Richard P.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Richard P.,Congrats and welcome aboard. For the most part, here is your cookbook. Secondly, you can take just about any oven based recipe, and apply it to the BGE. Breads, Pizza, roasts, steak, grilled chicken..Even Squid via Nature Boy. Its fun to cook..especially on the BGE..Yell when your ready. You will be swamped with answers..some good, some extra good..
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Richard P.,[p]The BGE is fabulous on chicken/steaks/pork chops. I haven't done much seafood on mine, other than some wonderful salmon. I have seen posts of people doing lobster, other fish, and even calamari! I have to find out more on the calamari, really want to try that.[p]You could use charcoal bricquettes, but I think most here would advise that you stick with some type of lump charcoal if at all possible.[p]Post a follow up letting us know your location, and I am sure you'll get some alternate sources for lump.[p]The BGE is expensive, and as an officially registered tight wad, I can say I have no regrets about the BGE investment.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]We were thinking the same and I see NB is the contact for squid cookin' techniques.[p]Have you tried squid (on the Egg) and if so what did you think?[p]Jethro
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Jethro, I'm a true blue died in the wool BBQ hound..I put da lid on da squid adventure..But there are some Nor'Esterners that put their life on the line with em..and say they are pretty good. I trust their judgment..heeeyaaa.
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I'm one 'o them Nor'Easterners and can state that squid still make a truly great bait. They also make a great appetizer :-).[p]Spin

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Richard P.,[p]I think you'll love your new egg. You will probably forget whatever you used before and ask yourself why you didn't get an egg sooner. Forget the cookbook that comes with you egg and get a binder and print the recipes from this site. You'll be a smokin, grillin fool in no time![p]Smokey
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, good to hear your still kickin after lunch with NB..!!
    :-)
    C~W[p]

• Jethro, LOL, Every time I see your name I chuckle as It reminds me of Jethro Bodine of The Beverly Hillbillies...........So Sorry!>....[p]Roger!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Richard P.,[p]Welcome to the forum and the family.[p]You will not be disappointed. The BGE is made from a 1000+ year old chinese design, with all cooking done with the dome closed. The BGE is the same design made with much better materials. [p]The BGE is seriously great for grilling all foods. Grilling is best done with the dome closed (taking advantage of the moisture retaining design), and requires a short learning curve to adjust from open grilling methods. The results through the curve will be well worth the trip.[p]The cookbook that comes with the BGE is many years old. It represents the state of the art of understanding how to use the BGE to cook with prior to publishing. It contains recipes submitted from users. The understanding of how to use the BGE has expanded emensely since then. Look to this forum for the most up to date info.[p]Lump charcoal is almost pure carbon and is ideal for use in the BGE. If the directions from the briquet manufacturer require you to "ash over" the briquet prior to cooking, then the briquet will be very hard to properly use in the BGE. Briquets are made from lump charcoal dust, combined with fillers (glue) to form the briquet shape. A coating of pyrotechnic material (boron is common) is added to the surface to help ignite the mixture. Lime is always added to the surface mix so you know when to add the meal (briquet whites over). [p]Spin[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    squid.jpg
    <p />Jethro,
    Truly a delicacy when cooked super hot and fast. Here is a link to the lowdown. Just think, the fewer people who try it, the cheaper squid will be![p]It is truly more tender than you could ever imagine a squiddly creature could be.
    Only for those who appreciate the finer things in life![p]Cheers
    NB

[ul][li]My squid[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • not Jo
    not Jo Posts: 22
    Options
    Richard P.,
    Congratulations and welcome as one newcomer to another please make yourself at home :D[p]I think you will be very pleased with your purchase.
    Jo

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Richard P., email me and I'll send you a better cook book than you'll get. Mine is a collection of things people have suggested on this forum along with a few other items accumulated along the way. I've also pulled a few choice items from the online recipes on this site. Just click on my handle above and you'll be able to contact me.

• Jethro
    Options
    Roger,[p]Nothing to be sorry about, you got it right. He is the inspiration for the name, along with my real name being Jeff.[p]Sides like Jethro I sometimes use my 6 grade edication and do some cypherin'.[p]Take Care,
    Jethro

• Jethro
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I saw that you used a wok for fun end of squid. For the bodies did you just put them on the regular grid or a grid with a tighter "pattern"?[p]Jethro

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jethro,
    Most of the bodies do well right on the standard BGE grate. A good size for the bodies is between 4 and 7 inches. Larger ones are slightly chewier, but still cook up real tender. They are flat, so when flipping quickly (which you have to to with turbp temps) they can slip through the crack of the grate if you hit it right. Especially if they are small. I often will use 2 grates right on top of each other, one rotated 90 degrees. This is often good enough to prevent the tenticles from falling thru as well. But if you have a lot of tenticles, the grill topper wok is nice. [p]The hotter you have your fire the better. the small works great for squid because the coals are closer. The large works great, but I usually fill the firebox full to get the fire as close as possible to the delicacy that I am cooking. Thinking now.....squid might be a good candidate for putting the grate on the firebox, under the fire ring, and building a smaller fire??? Anyone tried that for searing??[p]I am gonna go buy some fresh squid today. You got me goin![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, I might suggest the Hi Mountain 13" square jerky screens (chromed 1/4" mesh on welded chromed rod) for your squid tenticles..(carefull how you spell that) safety.
    Be sure and use a non stick spray on em..then they clean up easily.
    Or splatter screens in several different round sizes. Re-bend the handles to fit, or cut em off. Put a clip on the ends near the diameter where you cut em off.
    C~W[p]