Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions - new Egg or replacement parts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I have a registration question I put into the bge website yesterday- I'll share whether or not I get a response from the mothership / how long should I wait? What's a normal response time?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I have a registration question I put into the bge website yesterday- I'll share whether or not I get a response from the mothership / how long should I wait? What's a normal response time?
    My magic 8 ball says- never. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hans61
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Hans61 said:
    I have no experience but I hope you're wrong :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    New Already!  Leave the horse in peace!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Hans61 said:
    Me too. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    Options
    JB Weld.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    Options
    The picture makes me cringe.  I would probably just replace the base and try to make the firebox last a little longer since several people use theirs in several pieces.  I have the handler, since I have to haul my egg in and out of the shed and over the seal on the bottom of the door.  It works very well.  I do not trust the casters on the nest and will replace them this summer.

It looks like someone else had the same accident as you with their XL:
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/for/5968893043.html
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would highly recommend a "HANDLER". Have on both and good insurance. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Hans61 said:
    keep your paperwork, i dont even think the dealers and distributors have access to that paperwork and 99 percent of the time its them that make the warranty decision. im sure my warranty card was round filed, marketing doesnt even seem to get the info which is strange ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Buy a new one.

At the same time, buy a bunch of JB weld, see if you can resurrect the broken one. Because that would be kind of cool.  And you'd have two larges if it works.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If your gonna push over uneven ground or large cracks get a running head start. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FATC1TY
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I see jb weld... I just don't see it being safe st the temps the fire would be in the box.... 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If your gonna push over uneven ground or large cracks get a running head start. :wink:
    Best advice ever!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just give it a proper burial already.

For me, piecing together the Egg with replacement parts would be like trying to mend a broken heart - It may look whole, but you'll always know it's been through an ordeal.  

My vote is to start anew. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Use a couple of small pieces to elevate your drips pans or use as a spacer for a pizza stone. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If all you'd be saving is 225, then I'd go new.  You'll get at least 225 parting out the stuff that's still intact.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    Options
    Sell on Craigslist.  Ask $900 obo.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I see jb weld... I just don't see it being safe st the temps the fire would be in the box.... 
    I agree! Personally JB Weld is way over rated on this forum. For the broken Humpty Dumpty job the OP would have I would highly recommend a high temperature refractory cement such as Rutland's refractory cement. Not sure where the OP lives but that product is heavy and may cost more to ship than the purchase price. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    DAAAAAAAAAMN! And I thought I had it bad when I cracked my firebox!
  • PirateBill
    Options

Another option is to stop cooking in such a archaic and inefficient way and to join the pioneers on this forum (like me) and start microwaving, much faster and convenient. 

And taste is arguably the same depending on setting of course (i.e. popcorn/defrost)   

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• pwshine
    Options
    Lit said:
    Maybe email Bruce at BGE and tell him what happened they may work with you a little on the price
    Does anyone have the contact info for this Bruce fellow?
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Custom logo

Bruce Bohannon

Customer Satisfaction Manager

770.938.9394 .108  

800.793.2292 .108

Big Green Egg

3786 DeKalb Technology Pkwy

Atlanta, GA  30340  USA

b.bohannon@BigGreenEgg.com

facebook.com/biggreenegg

www.BigGreenEgg.com

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pwshine said:
    Thanks again to all those that weighed in and thanks to those that suggested reaching out to Bruce. BGE is going to cover, at 100% warranty, the base. All I have to do is get a new firebox and I'll be up and running again. 

That's great customer service. Kudos to BGE!
    Good deal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm happy for you. This might sit a precedent for others with similar accidents.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Options
    Haven't got a responsive email from the mothership yet but my dealer is taking care of me.
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf