Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to pick up a second Yeti - Roadie 20

So, I'm on a cooler binge and after having bought a Tundra 45 several weeks ago, I'm now contemplating a Roadie 20 going for roughly half its new price. My thinking is that two "smaller" coolers are far more versatile than one big one. This way I can use one to rest meat while the other can hold beverages during a party. 

If anyone can think of a reason not to buy the Roadie, speak now or forever hold your peace. (For those of you who are tempted to suggest picking up a fire sale RTIC, I am in Canada - where RTIC does not ship. Besides the price of this Yeti is relatively competitive with RTIC's sale pricing.)

Comments

• Ive got an RTIC 20 and love it. I would buy the yeti. You'll have a great cooler and wont even be a scumbag like me. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ive got an RTIC 20 and love it. I would buy the yeti. You'll have a great cooler and wont even be a scumbag like me. 
    A scumbag with more money in his pocket.  ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2017
    I too have the RTIC 20. Great beach cooler to go along with my soft sides.

So yeah, I'd recommend the yeti
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

The Roadie is my most used cooler, although I actually use it as an anti-cooler (FTC).  It's the right size for a few butts or even a moderate sized turkey.

• My best friend and fishing accomplice has a roadie and a 45. I have a 75 and an RTIC soft 30. 

My 75 is too big. The 45 is perfect. But we rarely get use out of the roadie and often use the soft side to hop in the boat or transfer food. 

If you can get one cheap I say try it out. But just from my experience the only time it paid off was bringing fish home or keeping meat in during a camping/hunting/fishing trip. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I have the Tundra 45 and Roadie 20. Great combo. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Agree with the smaller cooker being a workhorse.  I have an Igloo Sportsman 40 and a Cabela's Polar Cap 25, and the Cabela's gets 75% of the work.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have the 50 and 20 and it's a great combo. One or the other comes with me to work every Friday so I can go get my weekend cooking supplies at lunch. The 20 also holds ice very well I put several handfuls of ice into my 20 at 7am last Friday and this picture was 12 hours later and there was still ice the next morning.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    You could add some "green" to that pile of ice if you went with RTIC?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I wouldn't go Rtic. Orca, yeti, or any reputable company. Rtic is going way down hill after lawsuit. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2017
    I wouldn't go Rtic. Orca, yeti, or any reputable company. Rtic is going way down hill after lawsuit. 
    2 posts, both against RTIC. One of them boys over there say something inappropriate to your old lady or somethin'?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I was going to buy the extended warranty for my RTIC, really wish I would have now.  
  • No just seen where this lawsuit was filed and called them to see about warranty on products purchased and though I would inform the general public. Been a member since 2012. Yeah I'm a sleeper agent for yeti. Get real. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Buy the 20 they are a good size although. I use my soft 20 rtic more for short trip things like bottle shares. Easier to pack. 

Also if you need a warranty on a cooler- feel free to buy the styro ones you can replace!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • thetrim said:
    Thanks, but.....

(For those of you who are tempted to suggest picking up a fire sale RTIC, I am in Canada - where RTIC does not ship. Besides the price of this Yeti is relatively competitive with RTIC's sale pricing.)
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I have the 65 and a Ozark Trail comparable 30.  I use the Ozark Trail 3x a week use the 65 6x a year.  Debated the RTIC 20 when it was a $100 recently but frankly I am over coolered at this point and talked SWMBO out of it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    edited February 2017
    I'd buy a Hopper 30 before I bought the Roadie. The Roadie is awkward to carry loaded with that handle. My Roadie only gets used for FTC since I bought the Hopper. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,249
    edited February 2017
    I'd buy a Hopper 30 before I bought the Roadie. The Roadie is awkward to carry loaded with that handle. My Roadie only gets used for FTC since I bought the Hopper. 
    Does the Roadie feature grips on the sides?
  • Lit
    thetrim said:
    Yeah but then I would be supporting a scumbag company.
  • Lit

I like my roadie but have never had it loaded. Usually put it in my collapsible wagon if I have to go very far.
  • Lit said:

I like my roadie but have never had it loaded. Usually put it in my collapsible wagon if I have to go very far.
    You mean you've never had to carry it while you were loaded?  ;)
  • I have the Roadie, and the Tundra 65...use the 20 quite a bit.  Just the right size for a 12 pack of bottles and a bag of ice.
    Cameron, TX   Large BGE, 36" Blackstone, Yoder 640 w/Comp Cart
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have the same combo you are looking at. We travel with them all the time (truck or Van). 
    But after the first time I had to get rid of the handle from the Roadie (hated it). Called Yeti and ask CS if any other type handle was available (none), ask how the handle was installed and told it just clamped in. So I unclamped it and now a happy traveler. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2017
    The 45 and Roadie make a great pair. Anything largerI can't lift. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    $20 Coleman and spend $200 on meat
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • thetrim
    Luv Ya Blue
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Gonna try to do this to my coffe Yeti tonight.
  • thetrim
    Lit said:
    Fill it w Starbucks and that's a very, very expensive Cup O' Joe
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    Fill it w Starbucks and that's a very, very expensive Cup O' Joe
    $25 is very expensive?