Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

will someone explain the fork?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from Bed Bath & Beyond where I picked up a Pyrex brand instant read thermometer to plunge into the meat...planning on trying Dr Ckicken's prime rib soon and I don't want to fry another cable. My question is this...those large instant read fork--style thermometers have extremely blunt ends, which must mean they only read the surface temp...so I ask what good is that info? What am I missing?

Comments

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    one feral kat,[p]Funny - mine is registered as a lethal weapon in 8 Canadian provinces. Seriously, mine tines are sharp and yes you stick them in just like a probe.[p]Dave
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    one feral kat,[p]I've got a "Brookstone" fork style thermo which works very well and the tines are as sharp as a polder probe.[p]K~G

• Rotor, guess I missed something in the way they are packaged or something, but the ones I saw have metal tips which must be at least 1/4" wide...blunt in my book - but maybe some sharp tube or probe goes into that? I'd like the longer handle of those fork styles for sake of protection from the heat.

• KennyG
    bbqfork.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,[p]If you have a Brookstone store nearby, check out their offering. It's much better quality and more accurate than others I've tried.[p]K~G

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    one feral kat,[p]Weird ...[p]I picked mine up a Costco (Priceclub) for C$17.00 (say $3.19 in us funds ;~)! I've never seen any without sharp tines - mine did come with plastic protectors ... any chance the ends can be pulled off?[p]Dave
  • one feral kat,[p] In defense of our buddy kat here, I'll say that I've have seen the things that he speaks of. One example of this not-so-optimal design can be found HERE. I've seen other bargain-basement varieties at Wal*Mart, etc. that are even worse . . . Not much use trying to poke a turkey with one of these (or we'd all be mindlessly singing "who let the juice out!"). KennyG (who may take my current title of cooking-toy czar away from me yet (this, I guess, is one time I should be thankful I don't have a wife looking over my shoulder at the checkbook :-o) ) appears to have a one that is of much more thoughtful design! Hmmm, time for me to order a few more knives . . .[p]MikeO
  • MikeO, THANKS! The fork and tips part of that picture look identical to those I saw today. I've been thinking maybe that's why they had a "ka-zillion" of them on the racks for sale as you would need a hurricane force to impale one of those things in a piece of beef. Again,they looked nothing like that Brookstone that KG posted.

• one feral kat,
    I have always been of the opinion that a fork was somthing one used to keep others from peaking under the lid of my grill when in use. I have several issues with these tools, Why poke 2 holes in my meat to take its temp? Are the tines of the fork long enough to get to the middle of the roast? Several models have little lights that are supose to indicate a level of doneness--beef-med.? Give me degrees! For less $ you can get a good instant read thermometer. I can see the ave. joe stabing his steak every 30 seconds to see if its done and then wondering why its dry. That being said, and dispite my attempted coersion, we sell a bunch of them in my store?? KB

• KennyG
    MikeO,[p]Ask me about my cutlery collection hehehehe[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,[p]
    Did you order the ones i saw you with at Eggtoberfest from T.V.,will they sill cut through a nail.[p]Larry

• KennyG
    YB,[p]You can make fun of my Ginsu knife all you want. Just remember, I still have 45 years left on the warranty.[p]The only time that knife has ever been used is at Eggtoberfests (all 3). I keep bringing it hoping it gets stolen hehehe[p]K~G

• KennyG,[p] And here I was picturing you trying to cut a pork loin with one of those "It's so amazing it even cuts sideways" titanium drill bits![p]MikeO