Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding Charcoal

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
COnsidering the egg, but have a question as to adding charcoal when slow cooking brisket, etc. How is the best way? Do you have to remove food and grates? How long does a fill of charcoal last when cooking at apprx. 250 degrees. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Dave ,
    a large egg filled halfway up the fire ring will easily burn 30 to 40 hours at that temp without reloading depending on what lump your using, its not to worry about

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    fishlessman,
    What type of charcoal do you use? - What is your opinion of Kingsford?

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Dave ,
    most people who have tried the kingsford lump aren't very impressed.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i use wicked good comp blend, have had good luck with ozark oak, but have not tried kingsford (have not heard anything good about that brand). for more info than you or anyone will ever need on lump check the link below

[ul][li]lump reviews[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Dave ,
    Kingsford Briquets are not the kind of fuel that 99.99% of folks use in ceramic grills. As previosly stated a full load of lump will burn for more than an adequate amount of time for your overnight cooks. Briquests are another matter, more ash produced to clog the air holes and less burn time.

• TideJoe
    TideJoe Posts: 31
    Options
    Dave ,[p]Buy the Royal Oak walmart sells or get the Ozark lump that most BGE retailers sell. Both of those are fine. The Kingsford lump and Cowboy lump (Lowes) both suck.

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]Interestingly, this Royal Oak that everyone has at THEIR walmarts isn't sold at either of the walmarts in my podunk town. Sucks for me... but weird that my shops don't carry.[p]I have to SLIGHTLY (not fully... hehehe) disagree about Cowboy. For quick cooks (burgers and such) cowboy would work just fine if you don't have access to anything else. For long cooks though it's a big no-go. It simply can't sustain low temps for long periods.[p]You should also look at your local cash&carry type of store dave... they often have good stuff there. It's where I get my lump now.

• Q-rious Tom
    Options
    SirKeats,[p]Yah -- the Walmart SuperStore 6 miles northwest of me has Ozark Oak; the Walmart three miles south and the Walmart SuperStore 8 miles southeast don't. Go figure.[p]Tom
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I've used Cowboy for low & slo many times. It works fine as far as I'm concerned. I buy it when the big 20lb bags go on sale at Ace. It usually sales for $4.99 a bag. Good luck, Tom

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    bag56misc5.jpg
    <p />Dave ,
    Do you mean Kingsford lump? ( I HOPE you aren't thinking of use Kingsford briquettes? The ash produced is unbelievable and will totally block your airflow after several hours.) If so, you might like to read my review of it:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Lump Charcoal Database review of Kingsford Charwood[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Nice. I used to use it exclusively. I always had a hell of a time though with low and slows. I was workin in a small at the time though... perhaps that had something to do with it. At 4.99 a bag though... if it's working for ya, that's awesome! Can't beat that deal!