Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti vs Ozark Trail

Options
I thought of trying this yesterday as I walked around Walmart for two hours waiting for the tow company to come unlock my truck, yup locked the keys in it. I was looking at the stainless drink cups and was thinking of the cooler thread on here :anguished: . The Walmart brand cup is $7.44. Most of my adult life I have believed you get what you pay for. I am also a big beleiver in that business STAY afloat by making a profit. I am self employed. But there also seems to be a trend that when a product becomes a status symbol the sky is the limit on a profit margin. 
So I bought one of the Walmart cups to test it for myself side by side with my yeti cup I got for Christmas. I must say I love the yeti. I thought the claims were BS until I sat in a goose blind a couple days after Christmas at single digit temps and had hot coffee till it was all gone!! There was ice on the outside of the cup and hot coffee inside. 
Back to the testing. So when I got home at 7pm last night I filled the yeti and Walmart cups completely with ice from the ice maker in my fridge. At 8 am this morning I check both cups.
bith had melted the same exact amount an 1/8 of a cup of water came from each. After 13 hours they both retained the same amount of ice. My better half liked the color and the cup and took it with her to work so I will have to wait till this evening for further testing. So far I would say they are probably made by the same company in china and just have different companies logo stamped on them. Tonight I'll use my dual probe digital thermometer and check heat retention.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Yep just as good without overpaying. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    It ain't cheap for Yeti and their customers to hire folks like the Duck Dynasty folks to shill for them - they gotta charge more.  
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My daughter got me one for Christmas. Keeps cold stuff very well. Haven't tried hot stuff in it as I'm not a big coffee drinker. Cheap is better for me and I am just as happy with it as I would be with a Yeti.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    It ain't cheap for Yeti and their customers to hire folks like the Duck Dynasty folks to shill for them - they gotta charge more.  
    good for YETI, but its my hard earned buck they are trying to get so....

If I can get the same thing for cheaper...well alrighty then...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    They are the same thing. You could even buy a bulk amount from Alibaba and sell your own. The only differences I've found are in the lids/tops. I have a yeti tumbler but bought an RTIC lid since it closes, preventing spills. I have the RTIC coozies and the top is cheaper-quality than the yeti one. The rubbery plastic doesn't feel as nice and it has excess material along a seal line around the middle part of the outer ring. If I recall, someone measured 3 different kinds and found different weights with each one. Don't know the tolerances of the manufacturing process so it may just be within normal limits. The yeti was the heaviest though.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    And away we go with another butt-hurt thread.  Enjoy the ride.  BTW-nice documentation.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I have the 30oz Ozark Trails tumbler and I love it. I fill it at about 8:00am and at 11:30am it is still hot for me. I also have the smaller one that I fill on other days and it rides with me to the coffee shop. It is smoking hot on the way and when I get back to the truck it is warm still but not hot. Then again it has been quit cold and it sets in the truck. I am happy with them both and would not pay the price for the others anyway. After having these I am satified that I made a good choice.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Vacuum is a perfect insulator.  Either the cup works or air leaked in.  The only real problem is the top and, if you have something hot in it, evaporative cooling.
    Options
    Evening heat retention test started. I will say you could feel a little heat coming thru the yeti and the Ozark was a little cooler to the touch
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have both Yeti and Mossy Oak(from Walmart) 30 oz tumblers. The Yeti is definitely made better and with heavier materials. The Mossy Oak does have a lid that closes(not seals) but the gasket on it does not fit as well as the Yeti. Performance wise I can not tell much/any difference hot or cold. The Mossy Oak is a bit narrower and taller than the Yeti. The Yeti fits under my coffee maker so that is a big plus for me. For the price the Mossy Oak is a better bargain. But the Yeti is a better product overall if cost is ignored.

Jim 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Check out Walmart.com.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    3 hours in and both cups are at 152 degrees still.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    3 hours in and both cups are at 152 degrees still.
    When is the baby due??
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    I started this as a smart ass post since the cooler threads went a little nutty. But honestly $7.44 compared to 29.99 for obviously the same exact product? I am beyond that point in life were I need a big house, new car or fancy named cooler. Though I did have to have a certain green ceramic cooking device!!! Lol
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    I started this as a smart ass post since the cooler threads went a little nutty. But honestly $7.44 compared to 29.99 for obviously the same exact product? I am beyond that point in life were I need a big house, new car or fancy named cooler. Though I did have to have a certain green ceramic cooking device!!! Lol
    Did you all pick out a name?
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    lol beyond that stage in life too!!!!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    lol beyond that stage in life too!!!!
    Me too brother.  Glad you enjoyed the joke. ;)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think a lot of people are missing the fact the Yeti drinkware is at the perfect price point for gifts. It's a way that you can give a product that is PERCEIVED as best in class for a price point between $25-50. I would suspect that a respectable portion of drinkware sales comes from gifting.Its a lower cost item that many folks won't buy for themselves. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

I've been a connoisseur of youtube videos on this very topic.  Many field testers say they work exactly the same.....until they don't....

Ozark Trail's vacuum seal seems to fail more quickly according to several youtubers.

I don't own any Ozark trail, so no personal experience.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • PirateBill
    Options

All of the Yeti Clones and the Yeti itself are inferior to this colossus of engineering excellence.

Tell me how this is not the perfect drinking vessel ... Pro Tip you cant.  

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Its funny how everyone chirps about saving a buck to get the same product. Seems a bit hypocritical seeing as we are all on the BGE site,

Couldn't we all have bought Akorn, or Vision grills and saved money?

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Saw another competitor tumbler sold at home depot the other day now. I think it was $9.  No seams in the metal.  I think Ozark has a seem?  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Its funny how everyone chirps about saving a buck to get the same product. Seems a bit hypocritical seeing as we are all on the BGE site,

Couldn't we all have bought Akorn, or Vision grills and saved money?

Your logic is off. People are trying to save a buck BECAUSE they bought the egg instead of the others.  ;)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I think a lot of people are missing the fact the Yeti drinkware is at the perfect price point for gifts. It's a way that you can give a product that is PERCEIVED as best in class for a price point between $25-50. I would suspect that a respectable portion of drinkware sales comes from gifting.Its a lower cost item that many folks won't buy for themselves. 

@DoubleEgger, this is really good insight.  My Yeti 65 and my Yeti 30 oz cup were both gifts that I never would have bought for myself.  I suspect I am not alone.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX