Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning the egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any cleaning I need to do to my egg?

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    Options
    jhillen,[p]You can clean the outside for cosmetic appearance, but the only inside cleaning needed is a brush for the grate. The heat of the Egg will "self-clean" the interior. Some people clean the inside of the dome from time to time to scrape off the ash build up, but I don't think it's at all required.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    jhillen,
    Crank the temp up to 700º - 800º once in a while. Some of the folks occasionally clean the dome of the soot that seems to accumulate by using a ball of wadded up aluminum and scrubbing it clean. Makes my teeth itch!

• CT Grillguy,
    I have a Shark steam cleaner that I steam my oven with, or is that overkill. It's just I did something a little stupid to my egg and now I'm afraid I have this flavor in it. I was in a rush to prepare a meal and I realized I was out of starter bricks, so rather then drag my two year and and my six year through Wally-World. I tried newspaper to start it. And when that didn't help I tried a little bit of lighter fluid (yes they know on the forum) it wasn't alot and now I'm afraid there's this ordor or strange flavor on my egg. I was just hoping there was a way to clean it. I'll try bringing it up to 750 and letting it burn for a while. [p]thanks for your help.