Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or Large for two people (plus some entertaining)?

Options
I'm about to buy my first BGE and want to get it right. Here in the U.K. they are really expensive. £1250 for XL and £850 for large (plate setters extra!). 
I'm thinking Large and then in the future a MiniMax for day to day cooking. 
Appreciate any advice or must have accessories!
Thanks, Nigel

Comments

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Large plus a Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig does the trick for us. I have a KJ Jr that we use for sides every now and then. 

We're a family of 4, entertain fairly often.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Davie755
    Options
    Personally, I would go the XL route. You never want to be in a position where you regret not having a bigger surface to cook on.
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    For just 2 I say large and add the adjustable rig as stated above. An Xl is a lot of grill for 2 and the rig is lots of space depending on how many you plan to entertain. 4 or 5 people it should be lots. Is rather have a 2nd so I can do stuff at different temps rather than one big grill space. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I say, go big or go home.  When I was looking for a new grill 7 years ago, it was just my lovely bride and myself and went for the XL.  And 6 months later my son, who was single at the time, also got the XL.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My vote is XL first, then think of what pairing would be best after using it for a time.

Phoenix 
  • EggNashville
    Options
    Only two of us in our house...large and mini combo works perfectly...
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    I would say that depends on your entertaining. I have a medium, just me and wife, but can beer can 2 chickens or do 2 rib racks if my son , daughter , and Gbaby come for dinner.
    We use it every weekend I am home and haven't had a food shortage, yet..
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Large.  It's just me and my wife and honestly I wouldn't want to fire up anything bigger than a large most days. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Large

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Large is more than adequate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    I have  2  a  large (2yrs almost) and small (1/2yr) ... large I have fed/entertained up to 8 people using half rack. Was kind of working it like the greatest job in the world. I think you can get more random attachments for the large not sure. Small is a work horse for me for most of the meals between wife and I maybe 1 other... I love having 2...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    First up welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Wherever you land, have fun.
    As you can tell no shortage of opinions.  No debate that you can't make a smaller cooking surface larger but if you can go smaller and then decide on a second BGE for a different cooking profile at the same time I think that is a great option given the cooking you describe.
    I am partial to the L&S BGE pairing (happened a couple of years apart).   Thoroughly enjoy the combo as the SBGE is perfect for the quick cooks but can hold its own with small protein L&S cooks as well.
    Don't look back whenever you decide.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I've used my large to cook for one to twenty
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    XL there's a lot of support for various combos. I think @DoubleEgger has a very good case for XL and medium egg, I've had a great time with my XL and Weber kettle combo :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    No right or wrong whatever's best for you!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mokadir said:
    I've used my large to cook for one to twenty

Got you beat with a single hotdog on an XL ;)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    If you plan on doing a lot of indirect cooking, get the XL as your effective cooking area is only the size of the plate setter. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Large is all you need.  I have a L and an XL.  DoubleEgger suffers from egg envy.  Biased he is.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Nogbaduk said:
    I'm about to buy my first BGE and want to get it right. Here in the U.K. they are really expensive. £1250 for XL and £850 for large (plate setters extra!). 
    I'm thinking Large and then in the future a MiniMax for day to day cooking. 
    Appreciate any advice or must have accessories!
    Thanks, Nigel
    When I was about to purchase my egg I was in the same situation. Bought the XL and never regretted the decision. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I have the Large and XL between the wife and I. The large gets used 9 times out of 10
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    You described my wife and I to a T. I have an XL and we entertain as well.  Couldn't be happier with our set up 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Nogbaduk
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Think it's a Large for me. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Love my XL (also UK here). Yes, we could use a smaller Egg sometimes, but would not want to lose the cooking area for bigger cooks.

As stated above, for indirect you already lose some space and we cook indirect a lot.

Finally, the CGS adjustable rig looks great, but not found that here yet and I think shipping would kill the deal.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have the XL, never even thought of regret with that bad boy, we love it. I also have the MM, for cooking when it is just My Beautiful Wife and I. We take the MM camping, and tailgating to sporting events, concerts, horse racing, camping, etc. For us it seems to be the perfect combination. Get the XL, you will not regret it. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have both.  I haven't used the large since getting the XL 3-4 years ago.  And I do have the adjustable rig goodies.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    100%  Large for 2 people. A small or mini would also suffice a lot of the time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What do get with those prices mentioned?  If it comes with a nest, side tables, tools and what of lump they are about the same price as they are in the states.  How much do you entertain and for how many?  If only once and a while the large would be fine, but if on a regular basis say once a month or so I would get the XL.  We are two adults and one eight year old boy who doesn't eat a tone.   I got the XL for doing big cooks which I am glad I did.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    What do get with those prices mentioned?  If it comes with a nest, side tables, tools and what of lump they are about the same price as they are in the states.  How much do you entertain and for how many?  If only once and a while the large would be fine, but if on a regular basis say once a month or so I would get the XL.  We are two adults and one eight year old boy who doesn't eat a tone.   I got the XL for doing big cooks which I am glad I did.
    That's just the base price here.  It does include the 20% VAT (sales tax).

As a bundle the XL with nest, handler, place setter, side tables, ash tool, grid lifter and 1 bag of lump is £1,750 (USD 2,200 ish) from John Lewis.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    hows the lump prices and availability in the UK.  every time you size up it burns more. my first couple years i was burning about 400 pounds plus minus. with the large you can grill for a crowd of 8 to 12 depending what your grilling or smoke enough pulled pork for 60 plus. a mini will easily cook for two.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I have a large and XL. Bought Large first was too small. Bought XL love the Combo. The XL just gives me more versatility. I find with the large you have no real cool spot. With the XL that is not a problem.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL