Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First knife

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Well, first finished one anyway. Had a small off cut from another project so I ground out a small drop point neck knife from some 01. 

I have a tonne of walnut so I picked through to find a decent figured piece for the handle. 
It's hard, tested at RC61 so maybe too hard but for a first attempt, I'm happy. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks awesome! 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Excellent work.
    Walnut is my favorite. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice knife!
    I too, love walnut.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Art. You are a craftsman. Beautiful piece.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    that's a beauty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited February 2017
    Options

That turned out really nice. Good job.

The wood in the handle has such a cool look.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You get froggy about building and selling a couple of these feel free to PM!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    COOL!
    I'm a wood worker myself myself and that has to be the most figured piece of walnut I have ever seen! By chance is it a very select cross section of burr?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gmac
    Options
    RRP said:
    COOL!
    I'm a wood worker myself myself and that has to be the most figured piece of walnut I have ever seen! By chance is it a very select cross section of burr?
    No Ron. The handle is quite small so I was able to cut a slice right next to a knot and then book match it with the bandsaw. That whole knife is only about 4 inches long. I should have put a fork in for perspective. 
    I will post a couple others that I'm finishing, one with plain walnut and one with Apple salvaged from my smoke wood pile but they don't look near as nice without the figure in the handle.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Maybe this years egghead exchange recipient will get one
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    That is so cool.  I tried to make a knife a few years ago and it came out like hot garbage.  Good job!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    That's awesome man!  Seeing all of y'all making knives and building stuff makes me want to get into woodworking.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • gmac
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit. Maybe when I get a bit more skilled. But I'm not sure anyone could afford it. That was 100% hand made. Filed the bevels by hand, sanded by hand etc. Only power tool was the band saw to cut the handles out.

I have picked up a belt grinder since which helps immensely but still a lot of hand work. 
  • RRP
    Options
    gmac said:
    RRP said:
    COOL!
    No Ron. The handle is quite small so I was able to cut a slice right next to a knot and then book match it with the bandsaw. That whole knife is only about 4 inches long. I should have put a fork in for perspective. 
    I will post a couple others that I'm finishing, one with plain walnut and one with Apple salvaged from my smoke wood pile but they don't look near as nice without the figure in the handle.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Maybe this years egghead exchange recipient will get one
    Do you plan to make a sheath for it now to go ahead and use it as a neck knife?
  • gmac
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going to order some kydex and play around with that a bit. If you haven't seen kydex it's a thermoforming plastic that you can make friction sheaths out of. Thinking a belt loop style because I think it would drive me nuts around my neck. 
  • RRP
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd love to find some place that sold small scrap pieces of Kydex.  OTOH I will probably get hooked on the stuff so I ought to look into buying some myself.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Beautiful knife!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Oh handcrafted deserves top dollar!!  I have done a few custom jobs on rifles. They don't pay off but made you can appreciate the work. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    for your first knife that is really impressive. a guy I know started making them nights/weekends in his free time. eventually got pretty good and quit his job and makes them for a living know and does incredible work and stays busy. loves it. I have bought 9 from him 
    if it is something you are passionate about there is a career in it. especially if do everything in house, including the most important part: heat treat
    Boom
  • gmac
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys well, my wife did make it very clear exactly how many knives I would need to make in a year and how many hundreds of dollars I would need to make on each one before I could quit my job. Gonna have to get a lot, lot better before that happens :) 

But I admit, the idea of selling a few a year for some hobby money has entered my mind a bit. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    gmac said:
    @FanOfFanboys well, my wife did make it very clear exactly how many knives I would need to make in a year and how many hundreds of dollars I would need to make on each one before I could quit my job. Gonna have to get a lot, lot better before that happens :) 

But I admit, the idea of selling a few a year for some hobby money has entered my mind a bit. 
    haha! yeah I am not sure how it all worked detail wise for guy I know but he did sell knives part-time for a couple years at least, maybe longer, before he made jump to full time. and his wife was onboard before it happened too!
    Boom