Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions - new Egg or replacement parts?

Options
So this happened to me on Sunday. I've looked into replacing the base and will probably need a new firebox (dome appears salvageable). Those 2 parts together are going to run approx. $600 (tax included). A new egg by itself is $825 (before tax). 

If it was you would you replace the parts or buy new and keep the dome, and extra parts around for backup?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the band is probably tweaked as well, thats probably another buck fifty
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    New....  to near the replacement price... and just start over....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Buy a new one and make a memorial out of the remnants of the old. Keep the dome, any salvageable pieces. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Seeing that picture makes me cringe.  Sorry for your loss!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Buy new. Keep all your old parts. 

Little Rock, AR

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I'd say buy the parts you need. Keep the pieces that are fine. As long as they aren't cracked why not use them? They still have warranty. Save the $250 for a handler or adjustable rig for the new one. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Remove & Replace. Too many possible headaches moving forward replacing parts and adjusting. And as @fishlessman stated the bands/hinge assy would likely need replaced too. 
    That sucks man :minus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Buy

You've already got the nest, mates and any other newly "spare" parts. 

Agree the band is likely shot. 

Perhaps your dealer will throw you a bone. He can use your pic as a PSA. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    New.  Glad you're not totally devastated.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hmmm, in my newly acquired state of retirement poverty, @WeberWho has the most frugal solution... If the band is tweaked... go for the gold and buy new.

Glue the old pieces together and make a planter!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    If it's me, they're close enough in price that I would go grab a new one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you could hang that dome upsidedown and make a wicked nice herb garden out of it ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    you could hang that dome upsidedown and make a wicked nice herb garden out of it ;)
    Or one of those upside down tomato plant thingy's.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Very Sad occurrence and pic. Sorry this happened to you what a bummer. I would say getting a new egg is your best option, considering the circumstances. I like the upside down dome / herb garden idea. If you have the right location that would be pretty cool. Let us know how it all turns out. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Maybe email Bruce at BGE and tell him what happened they may work with you a little on the price
  • Bowne1
    Bowne1 Posts: 20
    Options
    If it were me, I would buy the new Egg and sell the good parts from your old egg on Craigslist or Ebay. People are always looking for good parts.  
    Large, Med and a Yoder YS480 . 1 Beautiful Wife, 2 Dogs and always looking for a MM 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    You might want to buy larger casters or a handler for the next egg 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    New
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A haiku...

Pulling the plug is hard
    Lesson learned, please pull not push
    Buy new, carry on
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Whichever route you go, put it in a table to make sure this doesn't happen again!!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    It is not that uncommon for someone's dome to fall out and break - which is far more likely than your case of a broken base. I second the Craig's List idea of selling pieces and parts to offset the cost of buying new. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Bowne1 said:
    If it were me, I would buy the new Egg and sell the good parts from your old egg on Craigslist or Ebay. People are always looking for good parts.  
    This. Help offset cost of new.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I would call the mothership and tell them what happened and see if they would help with reduced prices on the parts. They may appreciate the fact you didn't try to scam them for one/all of the parts. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    RRP said:
    It is not that uncommon for someone's dome to fall out and break - which is far more likely than your case of a broken base. I second the Craig's List idea of selling pieces and parts to offset the cost of buying new. 
    +2
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Lit said:
    Maybe email Bruce at BGE and tell him what happened they may work with you a little on the price
    They would probably not respond like I've found in the past. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm with @RRP
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Lit said:
    Not sure just what you meant about your attempt to contact them, but to me the problem posted by the OP was operator error - not a flaw in the design. Yes - I too felt sorry for his unfortunate accident and I'm sure even Bruce et. al. did too, but stuff happens. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    RRP said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Lit said:
    Not sure just what you meant about your attempt to contact them, but to me the problem posted by the OP was operator error - not a flaw in the design. Yes - I too felt sorry for his unfortunate accident and I'm sure even Bruce et. al. did too, but stuff happens. 
    I was referring to contacting BGE that they would care or choose to discount what was operator error. I couldn't ever get an email response when I had a warranty issue, the OP would be lucky for them to give directions to the closest dealer to have him buy a new one. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    RRP said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Lit said:
    I was referring to contacting BGE that they would care or choose to discount what was operator error. I couldn't ever get an email response when I had a warranty issue, the OP would be lucky for them to give directions to the closest dealer to have him buy a new one. 
    OK - I understand now! Seems like email sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Same way with comments about voice mail. Peace!