Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food safety question

Options
 Hey there, this is a bit embarrassing, but a couple of weeks ago I forgot I was smoking a brisket. I trimmed it and rubbed it and put it in the bge but got distracted by men's figure skating and forgot to light the fire. Lol. Anyways, I discovered it today and most of had turned to sludge and dripped into the firebox but there's still 5 or 6 solid pounds of meat left. Should I just go ahead and smoke it? The weather has been near fridge temperature here (highs in the upper 70s)  

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Just cook it to 170 (5 degrees above safe temp) and you should be fine.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Refrigeration is a recent development from last century.  For millennia men have been storing their meat in various locations while watching men's figure skating, and have any of them ever died from food poisoning?  INCOMPREHENSIBLE! 

I'd just rinse the excess purification off and take the remaining core and chop it up, split it into two piles. Make steak tartare with one and burnt ends with the other. 

Serve them with a theme of extreme vetting.  The forum said it was safe, ergo, probably edible (insofar as you can swallow it). 

[warning:  anyone with compromised immune systems, IBS, colitis, digestive allergies, chest pain, gallstones, celiac disease, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, hemmeroids, diverticulitis or a lack of good reading material next to your toilet should consider 86-ing this aged chunk of meat]

Options
    I saw a nature show where it mentioned that lions may eat on the same kill for a couple of weeks and they hide it in the brush between meals. If they can do it so can you.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Reading this post is a plug for men's figure skating and bathroom etiquette. I would recommend about a years worth of back issues of the Smithsonian, National Geographic, and the New Yorker, for reading material to pass your time. Don't forget, it is the gentlemanly thing to do, when leaving an adequate roll of toilet paper for who is next.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Been there, done that...

Years ago I put a pork roast in the oven and turned it on. the oven began smoking from a spill the previous cook, so I shut it off, meaning to clean it and start the cook over after it cooled a little bit. I ate something else to hold me over..... and forgot about it.

A few days later, when I walk in the door, there is a vague odor, that goes away after a couple steps. For the next several days I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, and the smell was getting worse. I looked around the kitchen and realized I hadn't looked in the oven. It was horrible. The smell overwhelmed me when I opened it and I ran out the door and threw up on the steps. It was green and nasty. I retched twice more getting the thing into the garbage, pan and all. All told the roast was in the oven for 10 days, uncooked.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Isn't this chartecurie at its finest? @JustineCaseyFeldown says eat it. It's fine. 
    You may want to stock up on toilet paper. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • PirateBill
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Been there, done that...

Years ago I put a pork roast in the oven and turned it on. the oven began smoking from a spill the previous cook, so I shut it off, meaning to clean it and start the cook over after it cooled a little bit. I ate something else to hold me over..... and forgot about it.

A few days later, when I walk in the door, there is a vague odor, that goes away after a couple steps. For the next several days I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, and the smell was getting worse. I looked around the kitchen and realized I hadn't looked in the oven. It was horrible. The smell overwhelmed me when I opened it and I ran out the door and threw up on the steps. It was green and nasty. I retched twice more getting the thing into the garbage, pan and all. All told the roast was in the oven for 10 days, uncooked.
    But did you try eating it?

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• zosobao5150
    Options
    Sorry, I would toss it. Not even remotely worth getting sick over it.
    XL BGE
  • PirateBill
    Options
    nolabrew said:
     Hey there, this is a bit embarrassing, but a couple of weeks ago I forgot I was smoking a brisket. I trimmed it and rubbed it and put it in the bge but got distracted by men's figure skating and forgot to light the fire. Lol. Anyways, I discovered it today and most of had turned to sludge and dripped into the firebox but there's still 5 or 6 solid pounds of meat left. Should I just go ahead and smoke it? The weather has been near fridge temperature here (highs in the upper 70s)  

I would say stick the remains in the microwave set the timer at like I don't know 30 min+. I use my trusty sharp all the time to "freshen up" food tried it once on dry aged chicken breast nuked it for about 1.5 hours (don't want to undercook chicken) tossed a chunk of hickory in there for smoke and it was probably the best cook I have ever done!

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    bury it in the ground for a couple months will keep the maggots away but more importantly the off aroma disappears ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PirateBill
    Options
    bury it in the ground for a couple months will keep the maggots away but more importantly the off aroma disappears ;)
    Nice ... exotic! they do that in Hawaii don't they?

- Calico Jack Rackham

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I put the meat on first and then forgot to light the fire, sheesh.  It's embarrassing, I must go through twice as much lighter fluid this way, by the time I remember, it's all evaporated and I have to start all over again.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Gotta admit that the sequence of loading the protein before lighting the fire is totally new to me.   
    If you have ever experienced food poisoning then you wouldn't even ask the question.  I would toss and never look back-you didn't miss it for a couple of weeks.  
    BTW- a couple of weeks between BGE firings is too long.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    1. Food poisoning isn't all that common, so you can do stupid, reckless stuff and be fine most of the time, hence the recommendations to go ahead and cook it.
    2. But IT HAPPENS, and people I've known who've had it said if they'd had a gun nearby, they would have blown their brains out it was that awful.  So it's not a small chance of a minor inconvenience, it's a small chance of being miserably, desperately sick, and maybe even dying a truly miserable death.
    3. Some bacteria produce toxins when they grow, and you can cook the food to death and kill all of the bacteria, but... the toxins are still there and will make you sick as a dog.
    4. If that meat was above 40° for more than an hour or two (you said "highs in the upper 70s"), PITCH IT!!!

• bigbadben
    Options
    I am amused at the number of people who took the OP seriously.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I am amused at the number of people who took the OP seriously.  
    the recipe i gave came from a canadian cookbook from the pei area B) if nolabrew has any cajun in him he should be good to go with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cmyachtie
    Options
    Great thread!!never laughed so hard......LOL
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options

[warning:  anyone with compromised immune systems, IBS, colitis, digestive allergies, chest pain, gallstones, celiac disease, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, hemmeroids, diverticulitis or a lack of good reading material next to your toilet should consider 86-ing this aged chunk of meat]

I've seen people on here mentioning 86-ing before.  86-ing means cooking the meat to an internal temperature of 86°F, right?
  • nolabrew
    Options
    Legume said:
    Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I put the meat on first and then forgot to light the fire, sheesh.  It's embarrassing, I must go through twice as much lighter fluid this way, by the time I remember, it's all evaporated and I have to start all over again.
    Preach.  Here's a money saving tip, instead of using lighter fluid you can use diesel gas.  It burns much more evenly and doesn't evaporate as quickly.  I keep some in a home depot spray bottle next to my egg. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Drinkin kinda early ain't we. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• PirateBill
    Options
    nolabrew said:

I've seen people on here mentioning 86-ing before.  86-ing means cooking the meat to an internal temperature of 86°F, right?
    yes ... post results

- Calico Jack Rackham

• jeffwit
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I don't know how to start a new one. My question is about steaks. If you over cook a steak to well done, why can't you just put it on ice for a few minutes until it cools down to medium rare? I have a thermopen, so I can watch the temp really closely. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I don't know how to start a new one. My question is about steaks. If you over cook a steak to well done, why can't you just put it on ice for a few minutes until it cools down to medium rare? I have a thermopen, so I can watch the temp really closely. 
    Is this the charbroil gasser thread?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PirateBill
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    That is genus! I'm guessing that if you mess up a cook you can just put it into the freezer until raw and start again? If so this will cut back on waste.

- Calico Jack Rackham

• nolabrew
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    The problem with overcooking is that you lose a lot of moisture, so if you overcook a steak you need to replace that moisture, not cool it down.  A really good way to do this is to soak the steak overnight in soapy water.  The soap creates an emulsion which will allow it to penetrate the fibers of the meat.  It can affect the flavor some, so look for a good meat scented soap. 
  • jeffwit
    Options
    @PirateBill, that is genius. Never thought about taking it back that far. I'll try this next time. Thanks!
    Jefferson, GA
  • PirateBill
    Options

SCIENCE!!!!!

- Calico Jack Rackham

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    This is sounding like a Friday night thread.

Are we running late from last week or getting an early start on this Friday?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• jeffwit
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I learn so much from this forum. @nolabrew, I just happen to have some meat scented soap at home, unless my wife used the last of it in the shower this morning. I'm going to try your method this weekend. Does using the soap as a brine mean my sh!t won't stink the next day?
    Jefferson, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nolabrew said:

I will just say that it is a universal restaurant worker term.  I worked in restaurants as a cook through HS and college and it was ubiquitous.