Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing issues...

Options
So I cooked up a batch of wings yesterday and while the flavor was good, I was not satisfied with the skin texture.  For lack of a better description they were kind of chewy.  Rubbery is too strong a word but they just werent crispy.  I patted them dry and seasoned and refrigerated for 7 hours.  Then I smoked at about 325 for about an hour afterwhich I removed the plate setter, basted the wings in sauce and cooked direct at 400 for about 10 minutes.  So where did I go wrong or what should I have done?  The flavor was good but just wasnt happy with the skin.  

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Try adding cornstarch (4 parts rub to 1 part cornstarch) to the wings about 1 hours before you put them on the egg. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They'll do better if dried longer.  I also have better results with raised direct cooking but others go your route.  Another fix is sprinkle them with cornstarch.  Gets a crispy crust. Lastly sauce after they're done. My .02.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You're going to get chewier skin when you smoke your wings in my experience. 

Raised dorect at 375-400 is going to give you that crispy skin you are looking for. 

I leave my wongs in the fridge for 24 hours. Did a bunch last night. Came out nice and crispy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    If you are going to cook indirect at 325* you will need to cook them longer than an hour to be crispy. As others have posted, a longer time uncovered in the fridge and some cornstarch helps. I agree with @Killit_and_Grillit 375/400* raised direct after 12/24 hours in fridge works for me.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • BriStarkey
    Options
    I would just try cooking them longer, indirect. I go 2.5-3 hours at 350 indirect. Crispy for days. Maybe bump the heat up to 400 15 minutes before you are done cooking.

LBGE bought used & one new MBGE, Weber Kettle. Looftlighter, Kick Ash Basket,

East Nasvhille

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Agree with @bgebrent, my last batch I left exposed in the fridge, on a paper towel, and one paper towel covering them, for 18 hours. I also cooked them raised, indirect at 375F. Cooked until 165F IT. By far, the best wings I have ever had, crispy skin, juicy and so delicious.
    I used my own rub. I will never cook them any other way. 
    The longer the better in drying out in the fridge.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just another tip is that if you use any kind of sauce then it will soften the skin. Nothing necessarily wrong with that- I like a saucy wing too; but if you really want to go for crisp use a dry rub.  You can always serve sauce on the side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I sauce mine at the end in a bowl. I do use corn starch. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I sauce mine at the end in a bowl. I do use corn starch. 
    This. Adding cornstarch/Baking powder will keep them crispy.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Raised direct at 375ish. Did a batch yesterday = crispy 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RockyTopDW
    Options
    Raise the grid 3"-4" higher & you won't have any more problems 
  • chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    Options
    Guys, many thanks for the suggestions.  Just want to make sure Im on the same page Rocky and Yukon... raise them and keep indirect or go direct?  I get all the feedback to increase the dry time in the fridge.  Im aggravated and want to jump back on the horse as soon as possible!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I get better results raised direct...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've done wings just about every way. Now I just do them hot and fast. Raised direct 400ish. Flip them and sauce them, but watch them. The difference between crispy and perfect and burnt and ruined is quick. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • etherdome
    Options
    never tried raised direct, but I will.  I smoke mine indirect at 350 for an hour or so, then put them in a 500 degree oven for several minutes.  That takes care of the skin issues for me.  you could, of course, crank up the egg at the end but honestly the oven is much easier and quicker. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've done wings just about every way. Now I just do them hot and fast. Raised direct 400ish. Flip them and sauce them, but watch them. The difference between crispy and perfect and burnt and ruined is quick. 
    And get zero votes.  B)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    And get zero votes.  B)
    Show him your trophey.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just another tip is that if you use any kind of sauce then it will soften the skin. Nothing necessarily wrong with that- I like a saucy wing too; but if you really want to go for crisp use a dry rub.  You can always serve sauce on the side. 
    This. I dried my wings in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking yesterday. The skin was perfectly crispy, but the family wanted them sauced. It ruined the skin, but they were still good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Do any of you pierce the skin before grilling your 'wangs, like a duck breast?  I've been an Egger for maybe 4 years now, and have yet to try wangs, but it's about time.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    And get zero votes.  B)
    Kelly and Bruce Underwood called. They want their trophy.  B)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I like to apply rub, then a light dusting of flour. Raised, indirect at 450. I also give the wings a little quick spray of butter pam. I find that a little spray and the flour makes for a nice crispy crust.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i have good luck raised direct with chicken. one side of the wing has thicker skin, you want that side down until it crisps before flipping. the fat liquifies and releases the skin from the cold wet meat and one that happens it starts to brown and crisp up. then flip it, the grease will move away from the skin leaving a slight airspace under the skin which will further crisp it up. lookin at your pic of the wingette i can see that did not happen. im getting crisp skin with wet wing right out of the marinade and onto the grill. wings can be cooked longer as well, 185 internal is fine with wings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it