Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back report and brisket

Options
not Jo
not Jo Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone;
Well here I am reporting back after some tasty baby backs this weekend. My quickie, impromptu spreadsheet I used to keep track follows. The ribs came off delicious delicately smoked, I used a mixture of Hickory and Cherry. I did the usual sparse loading of the firebox and let the dome temp initially come to about 300 then tossed in the ribs.[p]I decided to tackle a brisket and wonder if I should have waited for a little more experience. I loaded the firebox full. Started the fire and came indoors. I'd planned on letting the dome temp get a bit higher before tossing on such a large mass of cold meat but was shocked to walk back outside and find it had shot past 450!! EEEK. Apparently more fuel and this pup just soars to temp. I immediately moved as quickly as I could narrowing down the vents tossing in the bottom rack (8x13 rectangular grid sits just above firebox and holds the drip pan). And then dumped in some damp wood, tossed in the top grate, slapped the brisket on and shut down the lid and watched my remote temp anxiously as it climbed up into the 250ish range.[p]Since then it's been wrestling to keep the temp lower. I've learned about a full firebox, don't LEAVE it for a moment. However I didn't want to completely starve the fire and have it bitter... hmm never a happy medium it seems. I'm currently hovering about 230ish and am happy, waiting for dinner tonight at about 11 PM.
I'm resisting the temptation to open the lid and wondering how forgiving brisket is.....
Jo[p]Baby back chart[p]time pst grill temp meat temp
3:45 217 52 fire started
4:15 183 64 meat on grill
4:30 210 144
5:00 226 165
5:30 226 165
6:00 227 164
6:30 225 165
7:00 219 166
7:30 213 168
8:00 204 168

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    not Jo,
    i don't think the higher temps at the start will hurt your outcome. And 250 indirect is a perfect dome temp. How big is that chunk o chest and what time did you put it on??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • not Jo
    not Jo Posts: 22
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the help I do appreciate it. It's about 6 pounds and I got the temps down then made the mistake of opening a tiny bit cause it dropped down to about 206ish stirring the coals and the temp soared back up we are now holding about 255.[p]I wouldn't be as worried if these were dome temps but they are grill temps. I have a remote check thermometer I stuffed through an onion and it's right at grill level. My dome temp is actually about 275ish.
    Jo
    Here's what the chart looks like so far:
    type meat 6# beef brisket rubbed
    time pst grill temp meat temp
    8:30 217 42 fire started
    9:00 199 65
    9:30 244 110
    10:00 250 150
    10:30 236 164
    11:00 230 174
    11:30 220 175
    12:00 217 176
    12:30 218 178
    13:00 215 180
    13:30 237 183
    14:00 250 199
    14:30 260 205 [p]

• not Jo, I`m not to sure but I believe the temps that the folks give here are "dome temps" unless otherwise posted.
    Which is nice for me cause on my other cooker I use your method at the grate......
    Happy cooking.....
    Roger!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Roger, early on in the formation of the BGE forum there were a number of discussions regarding recipes and temperatures. We more or less agreed that once the dome thermometer is set accurately, we would use that as the reference point in all the recipe cooks that we use. So there would be no up'sy down'sy variations. So when we post a recipe..its always "Dome". temps. [p]I made a post a while back regarding temps and took a detour from that. I found that reading the stack temperature and deducting 15 to 18 degrees from that would put me right at the area of the temperature around the food.
    One of the nice things in using my Polder sensor tip inserted in the stack daisy wheel vent opening in low and slow cooks was the quickness of the digi readouts when changing the lower vent. Usually leave the upper vent as is.[p]Stirring coals as suggested by Jo isn't a viable thing to do once your fire is started. Not necessary and unneeded. Once the fire begins to migrate thru the charcoal, it does it as you adjust the lower vent for draft control. Stirring the coals during a cook only succeeds in throwing off all your carefully laid temperature control.
    Have fun...Char-Woody[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    not Jo,
    yea. I suppose that is a little quick for a 6 pounder, but you might be suprised at the results though. One thing for sure is it will taste good. Not sure how tender. Your meat temp was at 205 at 14:30. Definitely done when it gets to 200...sometimes earlier. Did you pull it off? [p]Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ