Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Options

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Anyone in TX still looking for a 65 - Bucees has them at most locations for 30% off (all coolers - hard and soft side). No sales on the drink ware yet, but those are cheap enough already.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    @Lit You just got LIT UP!!!!
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.
    They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
    Yeah, nice try, but when you get emotional and start cussing people in a cooler thread, you can't play it off as "trolling". That's the definition of butt hurt.
    I guess you missed the other threads for the past 2 years where I've done the same thing over and over and it gets all you RTIC guys mad every time. Funny stuff.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.
    They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
    Yeah, nice try, but when you get emotional and start cussing people in a cooler thread, you can't play it off as "trolling". That's the definition of butt hurt.
    I guess you missed the other threads for the past 2 years where I've done the same thing over and over and it gets all you RTIC guys mad every time. Funny stuff.
    Ahhh...the classic "I'm not hurt, you're the one's that are hurt" defense. Very similar to the "I know you are but what am I" taunt.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    A toast.

TO COLD BEER!!!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Yes this. 

Ahhh...the classic "I'm not hurt, you're the one's that are hurt" defense. Very similar to the "I know you are but what am I" taunt.
    You caught me. I am very butt hurt. But your a scumbag with an RTIC.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have an rtic 65 and their roadie knockoff, but I have a yeti tumbler so Im cool. I support both businesses.  =)

Little Rock, AR

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Seems that Yeti is the scumbags of this. They are way over charging people for a product that is being sold for way far less and still having a profit made by RTIC. I took advantage and bought a reasonable priced soft sided cooler. 
  • Lit
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    Seems that Yeti is the scumbags of this. They are way over charging people for a product that is being sold for way far less and still having a profit made by RTIC. I took advantage and bought a reasonable priced soft sided cooler. 
    So they are scumbags for designing and marketing a great product and making a profit off it? There's a lot of scumbags in this world for sure. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Lit said:
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Yes this. 

You caught me. I am very butt hurt. But your a scumbag with an RTIC.
    "I know you are but what am I." :) 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Could you imagine an RTIC cooler filled with Rockwood charcoal... you'd have to put Lit in a straight jacket. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    me defending my favorite cooler company!!!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Yes this. 

I've seen you be butt hurt in those threads too. None of that was you trolling people. You are a Yeti fanboy and you hate that they have any competition. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    New Products:

Products Coming in Summer 2017 include a 145 quart cooler, the new laser etched logo, the light blue cooler, the RTIC Water Resistant Duffle Bag, Tall Boy, V-Shape Stackable Pint Tumblers, Water Bottles, a 40 oz. Tumbler, New cup holder friendly Handles, Food Containers, Additional Sport Bottles and the exclusive RTIC Water Filtration System for select RTIC drinkware.

145 quart cooler!!  How much that thing is going to weigh when empty yet alone when loaded?!?!?!?!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    New Products:

Products Coming in Summer 2017 include a 145 quart cooler, the new laser etched logo, the light blue cooler, the RTIC Water Resistant Duffle Bag, Tall Boy, V-Shape Stackable Pint Tumblers, Water Bottles, a 40 oz. Tumbler, New cup holder friendly Handles, Food Containers, Additional Sport Bottles and the exclusive RTIC Water Filtration System for select RTIC drinkware.

145 quart cooler!!  How much that thing is going to weigh when empty yet alone when loaded?!?!?!?!

I'd be interested in seeing what the food containers are all about. 

Thanks for the update 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    New Products:

I'd be interested in seeing what the food containers are all about. 

Thanks for the update 
    Agreed.

Cambro style food carriers seem like they would be a ripe target for a lower cost competitor.

• Lit
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Yes this. 

I've seen you be butt hurt in those threads too. None of that was you trolling people. You are a Yeti fanboy and you hate that they have any competition. 
    You are so right I'm glad you made me realize that. Next time I need to know how I feel about something I'm gonna ask you cause you seem to know exactly how I really feel. Especially about hating yeti has competition when I have stated my next cooler will be the larger pelican with wheels multiple times. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am seeing stuff on here about a Yeti 5 billion dollar IPO...

Yeti shares will plummet. IMO there is not a way to grow and create profits every quarter. Yeti coolers are like BGE's, its a click of people that buy these things. Unless they can get medical contracts, but I would believe medical companies have their own way to transport critical items. At the end of the day, how many high dollar coolers does the AVERAGE household want/need to purchase.  
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Yeti isn’t all about coolers anymore.  They are a brand.  They market themselves as a brand just as much as coolers.  Just like BGE there are competitors out there doing the same thing, but you’re ultimately choosing a brand name and image.  Rtic has proven that the margins in this business are very vast.  The only way to keep from commoditizing yourself and getting in to a pricing war is to separate yourself from the others as a brand.  A brand/image that people are willing to pay more to be a part of.

The IPO is a brilliant business move as it allows them to profit and cash in on their growth without having to sell the business outright.  

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Yeti isn’t all about coolers anymore.  They are a brand.  They market themselves as a brand just as much as coolers.  Just like BGE there are competitors out there doing the same thing, but you’re ultimately choosing a brand name and image.  Rtic has proven that the margins in this business are very vast.  The only way to keep from commoditizing yourself and getting in to a pricing war is to separate yourself from the others as a brand.  A brand/image that people are willing to pay more to be a part of.

The IPO is a brilliant business move as it allows them to profit and cash in on their growth without having to sell the business outright.  

I believe sustained growth will be the issue here.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• jonnymack
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I don't have an issue with the IPO per se it's just that so much of the proceeds will be used for a dividend. So basically I'm buying in at a ludicrous valuation ($5B) that will require significant growth to justify but the capital infusion they are getting is basically going to pay a massive dividend. Brilliant for them, terrible for investors. 

Plus creating a brand can be a fickle thing if that brand falls out of favor. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• acmoser76
    Options
    Is there some reason Yeti can't go after another company like Bison? What would make Bison different than RTIC?
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    Maybe to run the low-baller out of town?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    Is there some reason Yeti can't go after another company like Bison? What would make Bison different than RTIC?
    RTIC hard sided coolers looked just like Yeti coolers.  Bison coolers do not.  There doesn't appear to be anything that Yeti could go after them for.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    They have gone after many companies. Read the listing above in the comments. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bison Coolers of Ft Worth TX had to go through a name change a while back in February of 2015. They were named "Brute".
    Some have said it was an Issue for Rubbermaid and the Brute Line of trash cans.
    Or maybe they did not won't to be linked to trash cans.
    Wow! This cooler talk is complicated!!  :o=)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX