Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gutted & sick to my stomach

Comments

• I will say thank you to those that have chimed in. I figured that once it was cracked that was the end of it. After going back to look at it, the dome appears fairly unscathed. So hopefully I can buy just another base (which looks to be about $400). Honestly wouldn't have thought about doing that, so thank you.

Talk about a HUGE learning experience...
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I still have burn marks on my shoulder from a "save" I made to my then HOT egg... (It was worth it!) :-)  Sorry brother!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Oh that's a bummer. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Glad to hear that you may "only" need a new base. After the bad timing of having this happen (not that there is a good time) hopefully you are due for some good karma right around the corner.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    pwshine said:
    I will say thank you to those that have chimed in. I figured that once it was cracked that was the end of it. After going back to look at it, the dome appears fairly unscathed. So hopefully I can buy just another base (which looks to be about $400). Honestly wouldn't have thought about doing that, so thank you.

Save any parts that are salvageable. Any new parts you buy will have warranty with them.

How did the firebox and fire ring hold up? Those can be put back like a puzzle and still work if not in a million pieces.

Where are you located? Maybe some other eggers might have extra pieces around the garage that might help you out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    I got $5 on it. 
    VA Beach
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    lkapigian said:
    On the bright side, it ain't Cancer...you can replace the Egg
    You're damn right.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dang...that's rough
    Cameron, TX   Large BGE, 36" Blackstone, Yoder 640 w/Comp Cart
  • WeberWho said:
    pwshine said:
    I will say thank you to those that have chimed in. I figured that once it was cracked that was the end of it. After going back to look at it, the dome appears fairly unscathed. So hopefully I can buy just another base (which looks to be about $400). Honestly wouldn't have thought about doing that, so thank you.

Save any parts that are salvageable. Any new parts you buy will have warranty with them.

How did the firebox and fire ring hold up? Those can be put back like a puzzle and still work if not in a million pieces.

Where are you located? Maybe some other eggers might have extra pieces around the garage that might help you out. 
    Firebox is in about 5 pieces, doubt it'll work. The fire ring on the other hand already had a "heat crack" in it, so I've had a warranty replacement sitting around unopened for a while so I'm good there. So it should be replacing the firebox and the base. All in all, it's better than $900 for a new one...got to focus on the positives at this point

All Egg dealers around here (Columbia, SC) are closed today. Will be visiting them tomorrow 
  • Must remember, "Pull don't push".
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Bad luck- sorry it happened. I Noticed the plate setter broke- looks alike a good opportunity to get an adjustable rig.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:
    Bad luck- sorry it happened. I Noticed the plate setter broke- looks alike a good opportunity to get an adjustable rig.  
    Can you elaborate on an adjustable rig, and what exactly that is?
  • That's a pisser. RIP Egg. Here's one for the fallen 

I notice it doesn't show hitting the ground. Do hope there is a glass down there somewhere. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    your fire box should be fine too despite the cracks.. it'll stay together!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    FarmerTom said:
    That's a pisser. RIP Egg. Here's one for the fallen 

I notice it doesn't show hitting the ground. Do hope there is a glass down there somewhere. 
    Off the deck...  I couldn't hit a glass from 15' up if I tried! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    FarmerTom said:

Off the deck...  I couldn't hit a glass from 15' up if I tried! 
    Next time let me know.  I can catch...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • That's a pisser. RIP Egg. Here's one for the fallen 

A wonderful tribute. I was stocking up this weekend and asked an employee where I could find the 40s. He looked at me like I was from Mars.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

A wonderful tribute. I was stocking up this weekend and asked an employee where I could find the 40s. He looked at me like I was from Mars.
    Did you say forty or foty?  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    WeberWho said:

It's a fifth  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Sorry dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Not a great sight to see. I have mine in a challenger table on the deck. Never felt safe moving it each time I wanted to use it moving it over the 2x6's.

• WeberWho said:
    The funny thing is, it was at Total Wine, which is literally the size of a department store and has every brand, variety and volume of booze you could ever imagine.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    pwshine said:
    As others say, pull not push.  Also you said you were moving it out to cook ribs.  Is it on your patio or in your garage?  I only move my egg when I am cleaning my patio, other then that it doesn't move.  This does suck and hopefully your dealer will give you a break on the next one.
    We've got a 3 car carport that's open pretty much all around. The "ceiling" of which is vinyl. I had the egg in the back corner for a while, but noticed that the smoke was staining the vinyl in that one particular spot. If I could find a way to divert the smoke then I could leave it there and not have to move it. 
    I thought something like that might be the case.  I believe moving the Egg in a table is a lot safer in this case then the next, although the handler works and by pulling with it less chance of the Egg going down.  Glad you are able to salvage some of it.  I don't want to even think of replacing mine.  Good luck with the dealer.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I'm sorry about your calamity.  I hope you get back to egging real soon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    My condolences.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @pwshane, so have you replaced the Egg yet?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Is it me or is that the white on ground?

My puddle of tears would be twice that size.

Looking forward to the crack and ralley!

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sorry to see.  You don't need a handler, you just need to pull by the hinge.  I've moved 'em many times.
    There is good news....they are still making more. That's a bummer though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow