Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gutted & sick to my stomach

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RedSkip said:
    This is a good lesson. If you are going to move your egg around in a nest, be very careful AND get a handler! No bueno! 
    Ironic the dealer is first to mention this...  ;)
    They are only 100. Only advise this if people are moving in and out of garage or often moving them around. It's a no brainer. I bet he'd spend a 100 now. Mine sits in a nest and rarely moves ( no handler) the demo at the store is moved in and out all the time (handler). 
  • Condolences, doesn't make up for this disaster, but hope your team wins!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I would be using it as an excuse to go buy a new one and everything else I wanted. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    EggNorth said:
    My worst fear when moving my egg twice a year from summer to winter and back ... Sorry to have it happen to you.
    Mine never leaves the backyard, snow and ice and all. It melts off when you fire it up! 
    Mine never leave the back either, just move it closer to the back door...but after seeing this, maybe I will just shovel the snow a bit more.

Only buying an XL would be the cure for this breakage.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    As others say, pull not push.  Also you said you were moving it out to cook ribs.  Is it on your patio or in your garage?  I only move my egg when I am cleaning my patio, other then that it doesn't move.  This does suck and hopefully your dealer will give you a break on the next one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    That sucks so hard. Hope you're able to salvage some things for a second egg.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Sorry for your loss.

One thing I did to my concrete patio and I suggest you consider is to go buy a bag or two of grout or Quikrete and mix it up and trowel it into the seams/expansion joints of your patio so that the transition from one slab to the other is smoother and won't catch a wheel.

That has saved my bacon (so to speak) more than once.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    That picture made me sick. My condolences 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    That's a sh!t sandwich minus the bread. Wow. Sorry to see. 
  • This reminds me of the time that girl broke her egg and wanted people to buy her a new one... then she started trying to sell sugar gliders.  At least he isn't asking for money. 

I'm truly sorry for your loss.  I hope that you'll be able to get a new one, or at least a new bottom. Maybe a dealer can chime in on what it would cost 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Bummer man.  Sorry that happened.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I showed the picture to my wife. Her first comment was " is there a place they can go buy a new one on a Sunday?" She is a keeper!
  • Oh mercy... that's just awful. Really sorry to see that.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• FarmerTom said:
    I know this is a bit late now, but always PULL an egg and never Push.  Gives you a chance to catch it if it becomes unstable.  Are the guts and dome salvageable?  Looks like it may be fixable with a new bottom section.  Appeal to the Buffalo, he seems to be lurking about today.  Perhaps he'll be helpful on superbowl sunday.  
    Without any knowledge of a fix, how can you replace with a "new bottom section"?
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Hntnhrd said:
    I showed the picture to my wife. Her first comment was " is there a place they can go buy a new one on a Sunday?" She is a keeper!
    For sure

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• This reminds me of the time that girl broke her egg and wanted people to buy her a new one... then she started trying to sell sugar gliders.  At least he isn't asking for money. 

I'm truly sorry for your loss.  I hope that you'll be able to get a new one, or at least a new bottom. Maybe a dealer can chime in on what it would cost 
    If you are talking about the one that tied her dog to her egg some of the posters came up with the bright idea of buying her a new one because she was devastated. Whether that was her alterior motive or not I'm not sure but she didn't exactly ASK for a new one, to the best of my recollection. 

But that was a fun thread. 

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pwshine said:
    FarmerTom said:
    I know this is a bit late now, but always PULL an egg and never Push.  Gives you a chance to catch it if it becomes unstable.  Are the guts and dome salvageable?  Looks like it may be fixable with a new bottom section.  Appeal to the Buffalo, he seems to be lurking about today.  Perhaps he'll be helpful on superbowl sunday.  
    Without any knowledge of a fix, how can you replace with a "new bottom section"?
    Should be able to order the bottom only. Just make sure you look it over good. If you have some scrapes or chips, you can order some touchup paint as well. The paint isn't as good as the ceramic coating, but it'll make any blemishes look better. Just loosen the band and take the lid off and separate the bands from the base too. 
  • Oh SNAP that sucks!!!!! I would be headed to my nearest open egg retailer to get a new one. Also, tell the wife that you need a whole new egg, buy a second base with it, and then you have two eggs!
    What alls involved with getting and replacing the base? It's cracked in pieces, is it really possible to salvage it? I've already "buried" it by the curb, should I go get it?
  • All the Kings horses and all of the Kings men won't have que tonight.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    pwshine said:
    Oh SNAP that sucks!!!!! I would be headed to my nearest open egg retailer to get a new one. Also, tell the wife that you need a whole new egg, buy a second base with it, and then you have two eggs!
    What alls involved with getting and replacing the base? It's cracked in pieces, is it really possible to salvage it? I've already "buried" it by the curb, should I go get it?

If you tossed it all the curb, then you messed up a-a-ron.

Salvage ANY parts that aren't broken, and salvage any inside stuff, as that stuff you can work with cracks in it anyways.

Just order a new base from the dealer, and you've got it back in buisness.

Or throw it away.. and save me the dome.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    pwshine said:
    Oh SNAP that sucks!!!!! I would be headed to my nearest open egg retailer to get a new one. Also, tell the wife that you need a whole new egg, buy a second base with it, and then you have two eggs!
    Yeah, go get it and at least glue it back together for a flower planter or something. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited February 2017
    I would not want any objective evidence of this event if I were you.  Purge the broken external pieces and start clean.  But your call.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Trash the base and salvage the rest. Assuming the rest isn't broken into pieces as well. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    lousubcap said:
    I would not want any objective evidence of this event if I were you.  Purge the broken external pieces and start clean.  But your call.
    I am just the opposite and would much rather reclaim and repurpose.
  • So very sorry. So very . . . devastated. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Very sorry to hear that.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Since it is Super Bowl Sunday and the above is quite a downer that has caused many to recall "Devastated"-back from the archives:  the original-  hopefully this will provide some  healing.  (For those who missed this the first time-it has 108 pages of posts.  Quite the read.)
    Let's try to surface the thread...Devastated
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I think we all should observe a moment of silence....
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • As others say, pull not push.  Also you said you were moving it out to cook ribs.  Is it on your patio or in your garage?  I only move my egg when I am cleaning my patio, other then that it doesn't move.  This does suck and hopefully your dealer will give you a break on the next one.
    We've got a 3 car carport that's open pretty much all around. The "ceiling" of which is vinyl. I had the egg in the back corner for a while, but noticed that the smoke was staining the vinyl in that one particular spot. If I could find a way to divert the smoke then I could leave it there and not have to move it.