Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High gluten flour for pizza dough

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read that in order to get a pizza crust like the pizza joints, you need to use high gluten flour, anybody familiar with this? I ordered a couple bags of it last week to give it a try. -RP

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Bread flour, Check out Alton Brown's Pizza recipe on foodtv.com. The key is to let it run in the mixer for a good long time, and when you rest it on the counter, let it rest for a good long time. Then it is a bit easier to work.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AZRP,
    You can get it a lot cheaper at your local grocery store. It's called, simply, "Bread Flour"!

• AZRP
    Options
    egret,
    Bread flour is slightly higher in gluten than AP, but this stuff is considerably higher than bread flour. -RP

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    AZRP,
    There was an interesting explanation about this in one of the recent issues of either Cooks Illustrated or Fine Cooking, but I do not remember which one. The bottom line was that it depended on how you were going to bake the pizza.[p]The preferred recipe that was developed, in the Mags. kitchen, for home ovens, with pizza stones, was not all that good when cooked in the very hot pizza house oven and a sample of dough from the pizza house was not so great when cooked in the lower temp home oven.[p]The difference boiled down to how much time the dough had to develop, while baking and how the flour/dough held up to the heat.[p]The recipe that was offered did not use Alton Brown's long rise in the refrig, so that could be a difference to.[p]Mind you, I have slept since I read this article, but I want to say that they were talking temps like 700F in the pizza house ovens.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    BobS,
    I forgot to add that the high temp recipe used high gluten flour and the low temp recipe used low gluten flour.

• AZRP
    Options
    BobS,
    Interesting, we can certainly get those temps in the Egg. I got a new book on pizza making that reccommended the high gluten flour. I'll check the temps he reccommends. I've done Alton's fridge rise dough several times and it is good. -RP

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    AZRP,
    Go to 'pizzamaking.com' for some great recipes and even better insight into what makes dough do what it does. I've used high gluten flour mixed with all=purpose in pursuit of a tight, cracker-like crust for my Italian-born brother in law. Super-thin crust, light sauce, buffalo mozzarella, proccuitto and some shredded fresh basil leaves with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top of a pie cooked at 600°F+ on the XL and he says that I came about as close to a classic Italian pie as you can find here in Canada.
    I like a light fluffy crust (a la Pizza Hut) sometimes, and it all comes down to controlling the gluten in the flour, the amount of oil (if used) and the ratio of water to flour. Amazing how the slightest variations in 4 main ingredients (yeast, flour, water, salt) can produce such different results!
    Qfan

• AZRP
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I hear ya about variations, compared to cooking meat, baking is rocket science. -RP

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]I have made great pizza on the egg at 500 degrees using high gluten flour. However, I have shared the quest of your brother-in-law and am looking for the right approach for a super thin, cracker-like crust. I have been to pizzamaking.com and have seen their recipes that are cracker style but they are all cooked in a pan. What was the recipe for that "classic Italian" dough? How thin was it when you put it on the 600 degree stone?[p]Thanks in advance!!
  • AZRP,
    in my baking experience, i believe high-gluten flour is used when making whole wheat or rye bread--those flours are low in gluten, and need to be blended with a higher-gluten flour in order for the dough to become properly "elastic". high-gluten flour is higher in gluten than "bread flour".[p]i find when using even bread flour (much less high-gluten) when making pizza, the elasticity of the dough makes it harder to roll out--it keeps wanting to return to a small ball.[p]i googled "pizza dough high gluten" and got the web site below--FAR more than you would ever need/want to know about pizza dough and pizza but pretty interesting nonetheless. the author's bottom line is the gluten content of the flour is not correlated with the final outcome--it's all about the technique of making the dough.

[ul][li]LOTS of info on making pizza dough and pizza[/ul]
  • AZRP,
    I just use bread flour and my bread machine. It makes really good dough.[p]Chef Jerry

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I have been making pizza for longer than I want to tell people and I have tried all sorts of recipes for dough...[p]I think the best one to use on the egg uses a dough starter...[p]As for more gluten....It depends on if you want a cruch dough or something with a little chew to it..[p]

[ul][li]King Arthur Brick Oven Pizza dough[/ul]
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Yes, I use it for my pies and the crust is just like a pizza parlor. I know it's a repeat, but here's my recipe:[p]Pizza Dough:[p]Yield: one dough ball for a 14-inch pizza. Double for two, triple for three. When making multiple recipes, cut into equal portions prior to rising. Use weight to divide![p]3/4 Cup Warm water (or warm beer)
    4 Tsp. Sugar
    1 Tsp. Olive Oil (NOT Extra Virgin)
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 1/2 Cup High Gluten Flour
    1/2-Cup Semolina Flour[p]1) Measure flour and set aside.
    2) Measure other ingredients.
    3) Mix all ingredients except flour and mix until solids dissolved.
    4) Immediately, add liquid to mixer, turn on low and add flour.
    5) Knead for at least 20 minutes or until the gluten forms the baker’s window when you make a mini pizza and stretch it. Check it at 5-7 minutes.
    6) Form ball and place in a lightly oiled zip lock bag so that the ball is resting on the opening.
    7) Allow dough to rise for two hours.
    8) Pinch down gently, reform ball, return to bag and set in refrigerator for at least two hours or up to 24 - hours.
    9) Allow dough to reach room temperature before using.