Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Questions | Fogo | ET-733

Options
Came home tonight to an enourmous box sitting in front of my garage door and was happy to see both my first ever bag of Fogo and my brand new ET-733 in there. So excited to try out the new lump and to not have to wake up in the middle of the night to check on my cooks anymore!

Now for the Butt questions! So I decided I wanted to cook up a butt for the super bowl and have been searching around stores to find one. First place I went only had shoulders so I passed. Second place only had small chunks of boneless butt so passed on that too. 3rd place I went had bone-in butts, but they were 3.99/lb!!! PASS! Lastly I decided to head to Costco to try to find a deal. Found packs of two butts for 1.89/lb, jackpot!!! Picked those up so stoked on the deal I just got but when I got home I realized they were boneless, bummer...So my two questions are:

1. Is there a huge difference between boneless and bone-in? Will I be disappointed if I keep these? 
2. Regardless of bone-in or not, should I tie the butt before putting it on the egg?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have never noticed a difference. 

As for tying it - it depends on if you can get it to stay together without twine. If so - no need. If it keeps wanting to spread out, you can tie a loop or two around it to keep it together. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Don't shy away from shoulders, either. They are about the same as a butt. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I have never noticed a difference. 

As for tying it - it depends on if you can get it to stay together without twine. If so - no need. If it keeps wanting to spread out, you can tie a loop or two around it to keep it together. 

This.  Costco butts are my favorite.  It is cool to know that it is done when you can pull out the bone, but the Costco boneless butts seem to turn out better for me.

@Skrullb, it's my impression that some people even use the term "butt" for a shoulder.  When it's time to pull the bone out of some "butts", it turns out to be the scapula (shoulder blade).  Does a true bone-in butt have pelvic girdle bone (iliac wing?) in it? 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I'm not sure on all of the specifics to be honest. I do know that every "butt" I've done has had the smaller, flat bone that pulls out. The "shoulders" I have done have a bone that runs all the way through it. From my experience, they cook the same and pull the same. I wouldn't shy away from cooking a shoulder if you want pulled pork, they come out the same. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    A pork shoulder is a butt. My local meat dept marks them as a shoulder as they get larger. It's the same cut either way.

I generally buy bone in, but just because the price is better per pound even after you factor in the weight of the bone (I've weighed it pre cook). I can't say for you, but I'd bet it's the same. As far as taste goes, I don't think the bone is big enough to make a difference.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    No difference IMO

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Easier to inject a boneless one though 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• horoegg
    Options
    Elijah said:
    A pork shoulder is a butt. My local meat dept marks them as a shoulder as they get larger. It's the same cut either way.

I generally buy bone in, but just because the price is better per pound even after you factor in the weight of the bone (I've weighed it pre cook). I can't say for you, but I'd bet it's the same. As far as taste goes, I don't think the bone is big enough to make a difference.
    The pork shoulder that I mentioned above was a picnic shoulder which had skin on it and it got skinny at one end where it meets the leg. The bone through it also looked much bigger. It seemed a lot different than than the shoulder butts I'm used to seeing/cooking so I didn't buy it. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    No real difference.  Picnic tends to be a little leaner IMO, but still a nice cook.  Treat it like a Boston butt, wrap it around 150-160 until it finishes around 200 +/- 5 degrees.

You could cut the skin off and make crackling (pork rinds) or toss in the trash if you'd like.  Or keep it on and cook it.

Check out this video...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QWPpfjAuii8

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I too prefer the costco butts even though they are boneless.  I enjoy the prep work with a bone-in butt as it's easier to trim, rub and organize on the egg, but the meat has not turned out as good.

With Costco butts I either tie or sometimes just stick a couple wooden skewers through them to hold them together.

Good luck!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Our local albertsons has pork picnincs on sale for .97 a pound. But I have 4 Boston Butts in the freezer now that I paid .99 each for so no more space ( they had a computer glitch was supposed to .99 a pound I asked after it rang up and cashier didn't care!!) 
    what was told was the shoulder roast is called a " butt" not the rear quarter , the rear leg is your ham. Fwiw. All pork is good IMO 
  • horoegg
    Options
    Rinsed, dried, trimmed, tied, and ready for an overnight dry brine! Can't wait for tomorrow night!

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Picnic is the front leg. Similar to butt. I think more taste.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I'm doing a boneless tomorrow as well, haven't yet decided on traditional or carnitas style tacos...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Pork butt = Boston butt = pork shoulder = pork collar = kata

Whole shoulder is the above still attached to the picnic.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.