Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Wolfpack said:
    I am agreeing with you. 
    Was just asking didn't know who got sued this time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    lousubcap said:
    Is a settlement an admission of guilt or just recognition that it is time to stop the bleeding by the lawyers?  
    Seems harsh to avoid legal fees. 

RTIC Coolers and the Jacobsens are required to make a financial payment to YETI; to cease sales of all products subject to the lawsuit – this includes hard-sided coolers, soft-sided coolers and drinkware; and to redesign all products in question.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    In this case where they agree to stop selling specific products I would wager they knew they were going to lose. 

Damages equal to lost profits on sales and market price erosion plus interest, etc. 

it gets extremely expensive quickly if you are found guilty. 

And depending on how the settlement is worded it often makes a point of not admitting guilt. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Brother, I was just poking.  Yeti was not original.  You appear to have a horse in this race.  Pelican is different.  Competition is good.  Patent law protects  intellectual property.  Sorry that in your eyes I'm a scum bag.  Clearly you didn't attend business school.
    You are right the people buying them looking for a deal aren't the scum bags it's the people making them. Glad they finally had to pay for it and change their design. Maybe now they can do something innovative. 
    Sorry I called you an a$$hole. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    lousubcap said:
    Is a settlement an admission of guilt or just recognition that it is time to stop the bleeding by the lawyers?  

RTIC Coolers and the Jacobsens are required to make a financial payment to YETI; to cease sales of all products subject to the lawsuit – this includes hard-sided coolers, soft-sided coolers and drinkware; and to redesign all products in question.
    So since they've already snaked Yeti's design i wonder what new and innovating design they'll bring to the table?  Clearly they've had time to redesign while they profited off of someone else's creative intellectual property. 
    New RTIC Design?

Will Yeti seek restitution against Magellan also?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I wonder if this settlement now sets-up a new lawsuit against RHTC's sister company Velky Comfort Bed from Tempurpedic, Casper, or iComfort.

I can't wait to see you guys start calling each other names over a mattress.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    So are RTIC buyers scumbags or not? I'm confused. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:

So since they've already snaked Yeti's design i wonder what new and innovating design they'll bring to the table?  Clearly they've had time to redesign while they profited off of someone else's creative intellectual property. 
    New RTIC Design?

Will Yeti seek restitution against Magellan also?

With the news of the results, I am thinking others might be feeling a bit more nervous about things. Although just short of precedent in the court room, due to out of court settlement, the result would have been used to pursue others that may have done similar.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I don't understand how Yeti can say RHTC stole the design from their soft sided coolers.  RHTC's version was not even close to Yeti's origins design; then Yeti came out with their 2nd version that closely resembled RHTC version that was already out on the shelf.  

I think there is more going on than a patent issue.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I could have bought RTIC. I just thought it wrong to fund people stealing or using designs that is just not theirs, without permission.
    I am part of a team of an organization that requires 33% of our sales to be in technology that is 5 years old or less. We are, therefore, expected to turn patents frequently to meet those demands.
    Knowing how expensive and difficult it is to develop breakthrough technology, it sucks when someone copies, or uses something without permission, and especially to pull the food off the table you try so hard to provide for your family.
    In that world, you get it.
    In other's it is a steal at that price.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I have 2 Pelicans, AMERICAN MADE AND CARRY A LIFETIME WARRANTY... I have had Yetis (5 year warranty) in the past and prefer the Pelicans.... GREAT PRODUCTS... also better features, they have wheels, bottle openers (included, not an additional $20) , actual latches and handles (not rope) and holds ice better....
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just ordered a soft 40, side packs, 64oz bottle, 30oz teal for my wife, and a set of straws.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    jakebge said:
    I wonder if this settlement now sets-up a new lawsuit against RHTC's sister company Velky Comfort Bed from Tempurpedic, Casper, or iComfort.

Won't happen, no mattress has been forum accepted to be the 'cool' mattress, so people don't have status tied up in their mattress.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    jakebge said:
    I wonder if this settlement now sets-up a new lawsuit against RHTC's sister company Velky Comfort Bed from Tempurpedic, Casper, or iComfort.

They are trying to copy Casper. However, the other companies would be fighting a pretty tough uphill battle over bed construction and material/technology. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    So Yeti, it seems, had sued for "Trade Dress Infringement" on the Drinkware side. Not a patent infringement. This is basically a suit on "Looks Similar" on either product and or packaging (i.e. Special Boxes like perfumes and fancy watches cone in)
    This looks to be what they are going after Wally World on also.

The coolers were a different lawsuit suit. But it looks like the out of court settlement is for both product sets.
    Yeti has posted their Patents on a web page:

http://yeti.com/patents

But this does not list the "Trade Dress" Registrations.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    My guess is that with a $5 Billion IPO on the horizon, Yeti is going to make their Law firm a lot of money!!
    RTIC is just another bump on the road to IPO!!

12/7/2016     1:16-cv-01283     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Ontel Products Corporation et al
    8/26/2016     1:16-cv-01008     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. MyCrew, LLC et al    
    8/18/2016     1:16-cv-00985     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC et al
    7/27/2016     1:16-cv-00909     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Soft Sided Coolers, LLC et al
    6/30/2016     1:16-cv-00829     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Sam's East, Inc. et al
    6/17/2016     1:16-cv-00699     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Tree Leaf Marketing, LLC    
    6/10/2016     1:16-cv-00677     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Polar Pad LLC et al    
    6/7/2016     1:16-cv-00663     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Magnum Solace LLC
    5/16/2016     1:16-cv-00578     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Imagen Brands, LLC et al
    4/8/2016     1:16-cv-00457     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co....    
    4/8/2016     1:16-cv-00454     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.    
    4/8/2016     1:16-cv-00456     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. The Boelter Companies, Inc. et al    
    3/2/2016     1:16-cv-00264     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC    
    2/16/2016     1:16-cv-00142     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Benner China and Glassware of Florida, ...    
    2/12/2016     1:16-cv-00128     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Polar Pad LLC et al
    2/4/2016     1:16-cv-00117     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Sic Products
    12/21/2015     1:15-cv-01197     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. BOSS Coolers LLC
    11/2/2015     1:15-cv-00995     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Evans
    10/6/2015     1:15-cv-00887     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Ad Ideas of Wisconsin, Inc.    
    10/6/2015     1:15-cv-00888     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. The Allen Company
    9/2/2015     1:15-cv-00774     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Ideastage Promotions, LLC    
    9/2/2015     1:15-cv-00773     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. US Imprints, LLC
    8/19/2015     1:15-cv-00725     YETI Coolers, LLC v. Kaiser Group Inc.
    8/6/2015     1:15-cv-00686     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Great American Products, Ltd.    
    7/17/2015     1:15-cv-00597-RP     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC
    5/29/2015     1:15-cv-00464     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Nash Manufacturing, Inc.
    5/15/2015     1:15-cv-00415     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. Beavertail Products, LLC et al

"Trade Dress" is been very very good to me!!!! 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    didn't think i would but I got a 30 soft. to replace an old soft crappy cool I have. price was right
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I wonder if someone will sue the Jacobsen's for stealing their cardboard box design???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeti has been sued for trademark infringement by other cooler designers for ripping off their patents.  As the Japanese say, business is war.
    These were just the the filings of the lawsuit.
    It's difficult to find the final outcome of each of these.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited February 2017
    Hotch said:

8/18/2016     1:16-cv-00985     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC et al

7/27/2016     1:16-cv-00909     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Soft Sided Coolers, LLC et al

3/2/2016     1:16-cv-00264     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC    

7/17/2015     1:15-cv-00597-RP     Yeti Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC

Their hard side coolers and soft sides are separate LLCs? That tells me that they knew they would lose the hard side lawsuit and tried to separate their business exposure. I guess that didn't work out so well for RTIC 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    As Sun Tzu used to ask, "Are people troll?"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    @Lit You just got LIT UP!!!!
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.
    They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Brother, I was just poking.  Yeti was not original.  You appear to have a horse in this race.  Pelican is different.  Competition is good.  Patent law protects  intellectual property.  Sorry that in your eyes I'm a scum bag.  Clearly you didn't attend business school.
    You are right the people buying them looking for a deal aren't the scum bags it's the people making them. Glad they finally had to pay for it and change their design. Maybe now they can do something innovative. 
    Sorry I called you an a$$hole. 
    All good pretty sure I was or am 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Again,  the forum play is definitely driven by the perceived cool factor value- absent that the "give a $hit-meter wouldn't move off the low peg."  
    And now a return to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    More bourbon for everyone!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Spent a good part of the day cleaning up my outdoor cooking area and deck in general.  Using my tan RTIC 65 to clean some brewing gear and a LEN sausage stuffer.  
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Yes this. 

They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
    Yeah, nice try, but when you get emotional and start cussing people in a cooler thread, you can't play it off as "trolling". That's the definition of butt hurt.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Passing off would be the offence here. Make something that looks the same and does the same job, then claim it is the same but cheaper. Slam dunk.