Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    It is not the cooler it's the "cool" factor that has gotten a few wound tight.  That and the Friday night circus.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It is not the cooler it's the "cool" factor that has gotten a few wound tight.  That and the Friday night circus.  
    Sorry man it's the scumbag factor. Tell yourself what you want but buying a knock off from an American company doesn't make it any better you are part of the problem and part of the reason America isnt as great as it used to be. No reason to invest a lot of money to improve something when any scumbag with a little money can copy it. You are supporting these scumbags.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Scumbag > A$$hole ?

Little Rock, AR

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Lit = AssWhole... joking...
  • Lit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    You don't really believe that do you? Pelican never tried to sue Yeti because they had no reason. They look nothing alike. RTIC didn't even try to be different they tried to copy and steal Yetis business. That's why they settled. They made millions off steal from someone else and are hoping to have a customer base still afterwards. They are scumbags and all you guys supported them. If they made a half price cooler on their own that would have been cool but they didn't they copied a design that was existing and their only promotion was to compare to the highly marketed brand to up their sales even more. A bunch of scum bags you support every time you buy one.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The spring is winding even more  =)  (BTW - I don't own either-just enjoy the peeing contest today and prior.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Options

Scumbag > A$$hole ?
    Yes scumbag is greater than **** with y'all.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Brother, I was just poking.  Yeti was not original.  You appear to have a horse in this race.  Pelican is different.  Competition is good.  Patent law protects  intellectual property.  Sorry that in your eyes I'm a scum bag.  Clearly you didn't attend business school.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I always thought that RTIC was really just engaging in some performance art in trying to show how badly marketing company Yeti was ripping off people by charging so much for simple molded plastic boxes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    Good for you and really your kiddos brother!
  • Lit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother, I was just poking.  Yeti was not original.  You appear to have a horse in this race.  Pelican is different.  Competition is good.  Patent law protects  intellectual property.  Sorry that in your eyes I'm a scum bag.  Clearly you didn't attend business school.
    I don't have anything ini it it's just obvious that RTIC copied YETI to a T. They didn't even try to change and I would never support that personally. Competition is great I love what KJ is doing taking a product and making it better not just stealing it and making it cheaper. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If RTIC didn't do it somebody else would've. It was inevitable. If you had asked me 20 yrs ago if I'd buy a 10 oz - 30 oz cup for cold or hot beverages for around $20-$40 + Uncle Sam's cut I would've told you NO. But, at literally 1/2 price for an identical product...why wouldn't a consumer take advantage of those savings? Yeti & RTIC don't pay my bills or put food on my table. Regardless of how they marketed it Yeti would have still sued. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    @Lit You just got LIT UP!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You are right the people buying them looking for a deal aren't the scum bags it's the people making them. Glad they finally had to pay for it and change their design. Maybe now they can do something innovative. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Huh? Sounds like if several companies are copying their idea they have plenty to offer and protect. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
  • Lit
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

What you are comparing makes no sense. The generic drug company followed the laws and waited the 20 years while the original company made their money. RTIC used Yetis design and reputation and made money for 2 years obviously fraudulently since they agreed to pay money and pull all the designs. What if companies were allowed to just start putting out generics after 5 years and not obey the laws? That's what RTIC did if you want to compare.
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    And hence why they got sued and lost. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

Read my response @calikings response makes zero sense he is comparing something that is following the law to something that isn't. 
  • Lit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:

This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    And hence why they got sued and lost. 
    Who got sued and lost?
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    I am agreeing with you. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Is a settlement an admission of guilt or just recognition that it is time to stop the bleeding by the lawyers?  
  • Lit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Is a settlement an admission of guilt or just recognition that it is time to stop the bleeding by the lawyers?  
    I think that depends on the settlement. Paying the other person and pulling all your product to redesign it seems like an admission of guilt to me.