Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Options

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    So glad to see RTIC sinking.....  =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • volminimax
    Options
    I have a Yeti, I have two Rtic soft sides. All great coolers. I bought the Rtic because of the price. Paying $200 more dollars for the same cooler, just seems dumb to me. I'm not so caught up in the brand name game that I have to have everything yeti......though I have bought 2 bge's instead of kamado joes or something else.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I don't think RTIC is sinking.
    Sounds like we will see GEN II in the Spring.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have a Yeti, I have two Rtic soft sides. All great coolers. I bought the Rtic because of the price. Paying $200 more dollars for the same cooler, just seems dumb to me. I'm not so caught up in the brand name game that I have to have everything yeti......though I have bought 2 bge's instead of kamado joes or something else.
    Should have gotten the KJs
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ryantt said:
    YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, "We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."

what intellectual property. They didn't invent this type of cooler.  Maybe you guys will disagree with me but they are nothing more than a marketing company.  The coolers were created and used in the medical industry long before yeti started to sell them.  
    Intellectual property can be, and not limited to, manufacturing processes, packaging, product identification, etc., which can and have been patented. 
    Ummm....settled out of court.
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Huummm yah I would say they are sinking when you are forced to re design there whole product line.  I'm sure they will come back and if they do with a product that doesn't look exactly like any of the competition good for them.   
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wish I ordered the 65 I was waiting for my card to close out so I would not have to pay for it right away, I guess I'm going with Ozark made in USA! 
    I have the Ozark Tumbler. Works great and it keeps my drinks cold for 24 hour or more with ice still in the tumbler the next day.

Have never and will never pay the prices that Yeti asks for their stuff.
    I got one of those for Christmas and my thoughts haven't changed yet:

WHY DOES ANYONE NEED THIS??  Who takes longer than 24hrs to drink a glass of water??  

Anything more expensive or complex than a Turvis tumbler is a waste of $$$$.  They insulate plently, are tough, and dishwasher safe.  And made in the USA!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Wish I ordered the 65 I was waiting for my card to close out so I would not have to pay for it right away, I guess I'm going with Ozark made in USA! 
    I have the Ozark Tumbler. Works great and it keeps my drinks cold for 24 hour or more with ice still in the tumbler the next day.

Have never and will never pay the prices that Yeti asks for their stuff.

Yeti also filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart last year for the same thing against Ozark Cups. Only thing is Wal-Mart definitely has better lawyers than RTIC I'm sure.

If I was CEO of Pelican I think I would go after Yeti.
    How?  Does Pelican have any patents that Yeti has infringed on? Doubtful.  Does a Yeti cooler look like a Pelican cooler? Not enough to be considered a clone.  Insulated rectangular boxes with hinged lids and carrying handles with drain plugs have been around a looong time.  Long before any of these companies existed. 
    If I recall, it's not the insulated thing, but the rotomolding and pushing to consumer vs professional use.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ryantt said:
    YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, "We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."

what intellectual property. They didn't invent this type of cooler.  Maybe you guys will disagree with me but they are nothing more than a marketing company.  The coolers were created and used in the medical industry long before yeti started to sell them.  
    Intellectual property can be, and not limited to, manufacturing processes, packaging, product identification, etc., which can and have been patented. 
    Ummm....settled out of court.
    I only stated that due to having a some of those placed on my behalf for my company. Surprised me. It seems the protections for manufacturers, are getting more and more specific. I was not speaking of actions on behalf of either Yeti or RTIC, just personal experience. Settled out of court, is a good thing for both, I think. I got a Yeti, so I know nothing it seems, RTIC owners are the smart ones.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    blasting said:
    dgaddis1 said:

Anything more expensive or complex than a Turvis tumbler is a waste of $$$$.  

I respectfully disagree.  

I used Tervis cups for 10+ years.  Living in Phx, I can assure you the stainless make a world of difference.  It isn't even close.

Concur, as the owner of several SS and Tervis. No comparison.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    argh!  I was trying so hard not to buy a 'fancy cooler' -- just ordered a 45 :)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    It's good to know that RTIC is staying in bidness.  I can't wait to buy more of their great products and give an even bigger middle finger to YETI

PHHHTPPPPTBBBBTH!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    McStew said:
    Hotch said:
    Huummm yah I would say they are sinking when you are forced to re design there whole product line.  I'm sure they will come back and if they do with a product that doesn't look exactly like any of the competition good for them.   
    I guess they'll be back to holding your money for six months before they ship the new ones. 
  • Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    I already got shipping confirmation :)
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    Sounds like an employee of RTIC...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Lit
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I bet Walmart doesn't " settle" with them. :
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I can't believe so many people are passionate about coolers
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :rofl: Bout damn time. Time to pay the piper you sorry ass 1/2 price hacks. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    It's not about coolers it could apply to anything. They didn't even try to be different which is bad enough but then they compared themselves to them to steal all their marketing money even more. If I was Yeti there would have been no settlement I would have owned RTIC.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I ordered a 20 about an hour ago and already have a shipping conf.
    I wanted the Yeti Roady for while, but 250 for it was insane. $100 is reasonable for my needs.
    So what was the warranty change?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sundazes said:
    I wanted the Yeti Roady for while, but 250 for it was insane. $100 is reasonable for my needs.
    It used to be 7 years, now it's 30 days.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    DMW said:
    Sundazes said:
    It used to be 7 years, now it's 30 days.
    Oh snap.....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    There was also a lot of trauma on display in another RTIC/Yeti thread yesterday.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love my RTIC.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    @lit calm down man its a **** cooler company