Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top will not open cooked closed/melted gasket/

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help, I searched tha archives and found I should get a knife and cut around the top cutting the gasket that melted , [p]HOWEVER I CAN NOT CUT it even with a box cutter. I have tried for 3 days to scrap the bit off however it appears it has fused closed and only a thin layer of the material is left. I tried forcing a knife between the top and bottom however a piece of the top chiped off the egg.[p]Has anyone ever had this happen. I can not cut through the gasket even with a box cutter.....

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Robbie,[p]Haven't done it, but heard stories! Try to light it through the lower vent. [p]Use a starter cube or something like it to start your fire. Once it gets hot, you should be able to get the egg open! Good luck![p]Smokey
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Robbie, some have mentioned lighting from the top also. I distinctly remember somebody dumping lit charcoal in through the top, and once it warmed up it came right open. If you have a MAPP or propane torch, others have re-lit the charcoal in the egg from the bottom vent with the wamt results.[p]One of these two will work for you. Good luck, it's not as bad as you think.

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Robbie ,
    Been there done that and it was fine after I got open. Use the liught or starter cube, or torch from the inside, it will open and be fine.