Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC Coolers on Sale!

Options

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    thetrim said:
    "Those that worry about the warranty is kind of a moot point because a warranty is only good as long as the company stays in business."

Didn't Tommy Boy say something like that once???

I believe it was Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy: Well, that's...

TommyRichard Hayden: ...What?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    You can use two baskets at the same time in a 45 correct? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    JacksDad said:

Got this email when I requested a partially refund on the soft side coolers I ordered last week (and still don't have in my possession). 

Haven't decided if I'm going to keep them, or just going to return them. That kind of customer service...

I got the same message, although the cooler was still in their building when I made the request. I would have likely added a 2nd cooler with the savings. Now I am just going to send it back. They won't get any more of my business. 

Given their reputation its it's unlikely they'll be around much longer. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Never thought a coolers thread would have spawned so much trauma.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    thetrim said:
    "Those that worry about the warranty is kind of a moot point because a warranty is only good as long as the company stays in business."

Didn't Tommy Boy say something like that once???

I believe it was Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy: Well, that's...

TommyRichard Hayden: ...What?

I really hope that was all from memory!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    This is what I came home too. 

For some reason this is only half the order. The other 10 boxes will come tomorrow. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dang!  That's impressive

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I guess @sgh better sale his stock now... LOL
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dobie
    Options
    In before the settlement. 

Jacksonville FL
  • HeavyG
    Options
    BryanLyle said:
    Patent trolls win again! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    BryanLyle said:
    Yup. Figured that was the case. Especially with the extreme cut backs on the warranty. 

I'll still enjoy my soft 30 till it dies. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Dobie said:
    In before the settlement. 

I might have to buy a couple more before they go away.

• HeavyG
    Options
    Went ahead and snagged a 40 soft side, a pouch, and two shelves and divider for my 65.

Might have to get another 65. I'll sleep on that one for now.

Can't wait to see the details of the settlement. Does this mean the death of RTIC or do they just need to work with their suppliers and rejigger some design aspects.

Wonder if Yeti is pursuing other companies that have the same tumbler design - like Walmart. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've been on the fence on a soft side cooler. Wonder how long it will be before they have to stop selling them? Also wonder if Yeti will go after Ozark Trail?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I believe the drink cups are all made by the same company and the just get their name on em. That's what I heard . So it's just the coolers they have the patent on. I could be wrong though been known to have that happen before. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    I believe the drink cups are all made by the same company and the just get their name on em. That's what I heard . So it's just the coolers they have the patent on. I could be wrong though been known to have that happen before. 
    I thought the only patent Yeti held on their cooler was their particular design of the rubber latches.

There was lengthy discussion of all this either here or another forum in 2015 when RTIC came into being but I don't recall all the details.

• Dobie
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Went ahead and snagged a 40 soft side, a pouch, and two shelves and divider for my 65.

Might have to get another 65. I'll sleep on that one for now.

Can't wait to see the details of the settlement. Does this mean the death of RTIC or do they just need to work with their suppliers and rejigger some design aspects.

Wonder if Yeti is pursuing other companies that have the same tumbler design - like Walmart. 
    65's are sold out. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RTIC just posted this to their FB page:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I ordered a 45 today in tan for a friend. Already got a notice that it has shipped. Yes, no 65 left. Having this sent to a friend who would not purchase one for himself. I think it will be a nice surprise. Seems like maybe I scored it on the same day as the settlement. Wonder if they will still be shipping tomorrow? Hopefully the settlement allows them to move remaining inventory.
  • BryanLyle
    Options
    "and considers this a win" - ha. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    BryanLyle said:
    A win in the sense that Yeti only gets to kick them in the balls and not also go for the titty-twister.

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    BryanLyle said:
    A win in the sense that Yeti only gets to kick them in the balls and not also go for the titty-twister.
    Certainly a win if the lawsuit did not shut them down completely. If they can survive by redesigning what was in question, that seems better than what might have been. Personally I wish RTIC well. I have both RTIC and YETI products.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    BryanLyle said:
    Certainly a win if the lawsuit did not shut them down completely. If they can survive by redesigning what was in question, that seems better than what might have been. Personally I wish RTIC well. I have both RTIC and YETI products.
    I certainly hope they hang in there myself. Looking forward to their new "Yeti inspired" rather than "Yeti cloned" lineup. :)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    This is what I came home too. 

For some reason this is only half the order. The other 10 boxes will come tomorrow. 
    Good thing your not my neighbor...I would be posting almost the photo of coolers in my garage. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • volminimax
    Options
    I guess that answers all the questions about the 30% sale. 

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• HeavyG
    Options
    I guess that answers all the questions about the 30% sale. 
    I just bought some stuff tonight. Boy am I going to be upset when they show the 40% off prices tomorrow. :)

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Just ordered the 45&20 to go along with my 65. All for the price of 1 yeti. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Just saw that on instagram as well - explains the progressive sales - 20%, then 30% on select items, them 30% off almost everything. So not a warranty issue but rather a legal issue. Also explains the limitation of the warranty - they legally won't be able to warranty these items anymore. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Hntnhrd said:
    I thought the only patent Yeti held on their cooler was their particular design of the rubber latches.

There was lengthy discussion of all this either here or another forum in 2015 when RTIC came into being but I don't recall all the details.
    No one has said that there was any patent infringement.  When RTIC came out, the latch patent was known, but no others.  Both sides are claiming victory over the settlement.  Yeti said:
    • RTIC Coolers and the Jacobsens are required to make a financial payment to YETI; to cease sales of all products subject to the lawsuit – this includes hard-sided coolers, soft-sided coolers and drinkware; and to redesign all products in question.
    • YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, "We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."
    Interesting they used the term "intellectual property" and never mention patents.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.