Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Focker said:
    Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey.

Fits a commercial pack beautifully.
    Yeah, I go slummin' with my bacon on occasion.
    What are you catching the grease in?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Give it a few minutes to render more fat...in 3...2...1
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Oh the horror!!! Store bought bacon???? Lol. 
    Hahahaha
    Went 5 for 6 on the eggs.
    Might try dome'n them with no flip next rip.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Day two of the fryer journals.

Made 4 batches of my version of Mr. B's truffle fries.  Delivered to three different neighbors.  They are the best thing ever you can eat.

I modified my batter recipe and I nailed it.

Here it is:

One beer (I used a lemon/basil 12oz can of Abita or NOLA or something local that I have a few left in the fridge)
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    Spices (salt, whatever - I used a JO from @Eggcelsior )
    baking powder - 2 tblspoons (my secret ingredient)

Cut the swai into quarters.  Dried it in towels (VERY IMPORTANT).
    Threw all the batter ingredients into a blender and went to town.

Battered the fish and into the oil at 370F.  Cooked until the color looked right - maybe 2-3 minutes. 

Frikkin perfect fried fish.  The batter was light, not greasy, stuck to the fish like a second skin.  No flaking of batter, best I've ever had.   I got this down now.  

SWMBO cooked some greenbeans and made tarter sauce.

Fish was incredible and the fries are addictive.  Neighbor over for dinner, loved it.

As an afterthought (and after dinner, oil was still hot), I played around with some onion rings.  Not great, need to work on that.

The whole meal cooks up in about 10 minutes.  Some prep and heating of the oil adds more time, but this is a winner.
    Make a tempura batter for the greenbeans next time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Focker said:

What are you catching the grease in?
    Thanks for noticing.  After spraying the bottom of the griddle to season before cooking, it took me a minute to realize I didn't put the trap back on.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Day two of the fryer journals.

Made 4 batches of my version of Mr. B's truffle fries.  Delivered to three different neighbors.  They are the best thing ever you can eat.

I modified my batter recipe and I nailed it.

Here it is:

One beer (I used a lemon/basil 12oz can of Abita or NOLA or something local that I have a few left in the fridge)
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    Spices (salt, whatever - I used a JO from @Eggcelsior )
    baking powder - 2 tblspoons (my secret ingredient)

Cut the swai into quarters.  Dried it in towels (VERY IMPORTANT).
    Threw all the batter ingredients into a blender and went to town.

Battered the fish and into the oil at 370F.  Cooked until the color looked right - maybe 2-3 minutes. 

Frikkin perfect fried fish.  The batter was light, not greasy, stuck to the fish like a second skin.  No flaking of batter, best I've ever had.   I got this down now.  

SWMBO cooked some greenbeans and made tarter sauce.

Fish was incredible and the fries are addictive.  Neighbor over for dinner, loved it.

As an afterthought (and after dinner, oil was still hot), I played around with some onion rings.  Not great, need to work on that.

The whole meal cooks up in about 10 minutes.  Some prep and heating of the oil adds more time, but this is a winner.
    Looks great nola, a reminder about Culver's upcoming walleye dinners...so good.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Oh the horror!!! Store bought bacon???? Lol. 
    Hahahaha
    Went 5 for 6 on the eggs.
    Might try dome'n them with no flip next rip.

Basted is my egg of choice. Yields more runny yolk imo. Looks fricken great. 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    At this moment I am watching my first cook with the Flame Boss 200.  I think I am going to love this farkin thing.  First time I have ever left the house while doing Butts.  Made a run down to Home Depot.  This thing has held my pit temp within 4-6 degrees for the last 7 hours and not once over-shot.  Love the open dome pause feature too.  I now know why those of you that have them rave about it.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Reading about Guinness' first US brewery in over 60 years and trying to decide if it is great or horrible that it'll be 20 minutes from the house.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Just got back from the local Ace. I need to find something to keep me busy this time of year. Kit was half off $15.00 plus I spent 48$ this morning on Cuban Gogo charcoal!! Lol
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Acn said:
    Reading about Guinness' first US brewery in over 60 years and trying to decide if it is great or horrible that it'll be 20 minutes from the house.
    Not good for the waistline 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Daughter and wife getting sick, fighting off something again.  Seems like my daughter hasn't been 100% since fall.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Acn said:
    How big is your home/yard?  Pick a weekend and we'll all help you decide.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Just finished neutering my cat 

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @DuckDogDr I hope you saved those nuggets to send to @SGH.   I'm sure he's got a recipe. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @DuckDogDr I hope you saved those nuggets to send to @SGH.   I'm sure he's got a recipe. 
    Anus and cat testicle soufflé 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @blasting ... neat cover.  How did you make it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    About to grill some burgers 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @blasting ... neat cover.  How did you make it?
    @Jeepster47

I used a router mounted to a circle cutter to cut the shape, as well as the underside relief for the pot.  A hole saw for the Anova penetration, and then a palm sander.  

The Anova is a little too tall and rested on the bottom of the pot, so I cut an ABS plumbing fitting and it slips on the Anova (pic below).  For my pot, I needed this needed to be just shy of 3/4", but it matches the Anova perfectly.  Now the unit sits 1/8" off the bottom of the pot.  

Phoenix 
  • DuckDogDr
    Options
    Just picked up my new door framing material 

3/4" steel... 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Just pulled dinner off 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Just picked up my new door framing material 

3/4" steel... 
    wtf?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Took delivery of a whole pork shoulder, bone in, from a friend who works at a pig farm.  Was trotting around at the start of the week. 8.5 lbs at weigh in, going on the Egg low on Friday night.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm psyched for you! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DuckDogDr
    Options
    @pgprescott had some individuals kick in my door.. Door held, locks held .. Frame shattered into about 5 pieces ... See if they can break through steel 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @pgprescott had some individuals kick in my door.. Door held, locks held .. Frame shattered into about 5 pieces ... See if they can break through steel 
    make sure you use plenty of long lag screws....the weakest link always breaks.  If they want to break in, they'll have to knock down your entire wall if you do it right.  (actually....that would suck).
    DuckDogDr said:
    make sure you use plenty of long lag screws....the weakest link always breaks.  If they want to break in, they'll have to knock down your entire wall if you do it right.  (actually....that would suck).
    Cat balls  :o