Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best meat slicer?

Options
Does anyone have suggestions on a meat slicer?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Do you have a budget you would like to stay in?
    Greensboro, NC
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I vote for this:

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• steelcityegger
    Options
    Don't really have a budget in mind...couple hundred?  Don't want to spend too much if it isn't needed, but don't want a cheap one that doesn't work or will break after a year.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't really have a budget in mind...couple hundred?  
    :rofl: And you came here for advise?  Look for commercial used. Heavy or light usage?
    I have the Chef's Choice (plastic gearing) and have been happy with it. I'd prefer a Globe or Hobart etc and I have access to get one but, I can't justify it. The space for a heavier commercial doesn't appeal to me considering I'd consider my usage to be light. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • steelcityegger
    Options
    As far as usage probably once a month 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'd consider that light usage. A lot of folks will say get a commercial slicer. And given that they'll typically last longer this is not bad advice. But, a commercial slicer is heavy and bulky. Ideally it would have it's own cart.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • steelcityegger
    Options
    What blade size do you really need?  Thanks for your input husker 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2017
    Options
    10" is sufficient 
    Mine has a 7" serrated blade. I've sliced briskets, pancetta, capicola, sourdough bread, etc. No problems.  For a direct drive motor it has reasonably quiet operation.  It's also easy to clean and sanitize. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    From experience, go with your gut and what you can afford.... if you have cash spend it.... if you can wait..... search and you all find deals.

the industrial slicer is a pain in the you know what to maneuver, but when in use; the PAIN is a distant memory.

This is my setup
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186533/meet-the-twins#latest

I love it and wouldn't change a thing. "EXCEPT" its like a truck; your friends and family will come a callin' LOL.  Which isn't a bad thing in my case 

i gone through to small home units and what i didn't like about them is 1. they tend to slide on the counter surface.  2. difficult to sharpen the blade 3. Both were under powered and not much bed surface due to the small blade.

Here is what i did:

i purchased a small cheep machine, i found it was more dangerous that effective.  then i purchased a slice from BassPro, this little guy was ok not as dangerous limited in its use, i had to do some prepping to get it to slice what i needed to slice, i sold it; the funds from the sale went towards the purchase my industrial.

good luck in you search

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have a cheap chef's choice that's ok, no heavy lifting.  I'll likely get something much more hefty that I don't have counter space for.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Givengold3
    Options
    I bought a vintage Hobart on CL. Still cost me $400 and it is heavy. It has earned its keep with salami, bacon and proscuito. 
    Concord, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Check craigslist.com in your area.
    I found a great price on a new medium duty commercial unit in a few days.
    link to my post.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200050/had-to-buy-it#latest

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My suggestion is... use a knife. I thought I wanted a slicer. I read that the cheap homeowner models were not so good and knew the commercial models were far too expensive. So, I found one on Craigslist, a 1940something Globe Model 150. $100 or so.

It is only slightly smaller than my car. A pain to clean, takes up too much space, weighs too much to move around and I almost never use it. It definitely needs a cart (which I don't have) and a convenient place to park said cart (which I also don't have). I have a spot on the counter, but use the albatross so infrequently, I don't like to waste the counter space. It has a built in sharpener, will slice stuff paper thin and up to about 1/2" so if I ever wanted to slice a lot of stuff paper thin, I'd be golden. But I don't.

If I had it to do again, I'd use the knife I already had (which is what I virtually always do now). The slices aren't as thin, as pretty or as uniform, but it doesn't take much longer and the meat tastes just as good. And as I clean my knife and cutting board, I have a smile on my face. :)  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use a cheaper residential model, its wearing out but still fine for slicing roast beef, ham, pastrami. where it lacks is longer items like bacon, or really thin fine slicing lake pastrami, the main bearing starts to go and it wont slice evenly anymore. this is not a problem for most deli meats.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    My suggestion is... use a knife. I thought I wanted a slicer. I read that the cheap homeowner models were not so good and knew the commercial models were far too expensive. So, I found one on Craigslist, a 1940something Globe Model 150. $100 or so.

It is only slightly smaller than my car. A pain to clean, takes up too much space, weighs too much to move around and I almost never use it. It definitely needs a cart (which I don't have) and a convenient place to park said cart (which I also don't have). I have a spot on the counter, but use the albatross so infrequently, I don't like to waste the counter space. It has a built in sharpener, will slice stuff paper thin and up to about 1/2" so if I ever wanted to slice a lot of stuff paper thin, I'd be golden. But I don't.

If I had it to do again, I'd use the knife I already had (which is what I virtually always do now). The slices aren't as thin, as pretty or as uniform, but it doesn't take much longer and the meat tastes just as good. And as I clean my knife and cutting board, I have a smile on my face. :)     
    nice post - not sexy - but I apprecaite the real feedback . . I can see myself doing same thing.  You convinced me Shun/Cutting Board.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    just reread what i wrote, it should read really fine thin slicing proscuitto ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bajatom2
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions. Look at a Chefs Choice 630. For a bigger heavy duty slicer look at Avantco. Good luck on your choice.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Once I figure out where in the 'burg @NPHuskerFL lives, my plan is to go by and use his when I need a slicer.

In the meantime, I'll just stick with pulling my meat*

*I really struggled trying to figure out how to write that without sounding x-rated. Finally gave up  =)  

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Once I figure out where in the 'burg @NPHuskerFL lives, my plan is to go by and use his when I need a slicer.

In the meantime, I'll just stick with pulling my meat*

*I really struggled trying to figure out how to write that without sounding x-rated. Finally gave up  =)  

It's your meat...pull it if you want!!!

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options

Sell it to steelcityegger
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE