Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table question

what is the best way to "drop" the EGG through the whole in the table?

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    edited January 2017
    3 strong guys.... my 2 sons helped me Sunday do this....taking the guts out helps!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    What size? We moved both my larges into one table. I had a few guys over. We took the internals out, but we didn't have to take the eggs apart.

The tricky part is making sure someone is below the hole in the table to steady her as she approaches her final resting place. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I actually used a car jack. Lowered it and blocked it a little at a time. Using one inch boards as shims and slowly let it down 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    if a Large just take the guts out, the dome off and reach down from inside, grab through the vent opening and you are able to do the deed! OTOH if you haven't already built your table just build it so the egg is open in the front! IOW no need to have it encircled!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    HeavyG said:
    I agree! I can use my PotLifter to pull my small out of my table by myself and then carry it like a duffle bag! Now for a Medium and larger I recommend two people grab a handle.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    You want to drop the egg through the whole table? Lift it 20 feet above the table and let it go. Might have to go higher.

I built the table before assembling the egg. I got a pot lifter but found it easier to just put one arm through the empty base, grab the vent hole, lift it, and set it into the table.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    I don't know about anything smaller than an XL, cuz that's what we have. My son and I positioned and dropped it in, but absolutely had to first disasemble and empty it. Recommend plenty of padding to protect finish.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I am hesitant to offer this up, but, I was helping a friend move a massive and delicate potted plant years ago, to be inserted in a platform table outdoors. The dimensions were very tight and the pot was delicate. The table was a bit more durable. We used a couple blocks of ice.
    We sat the potted plant on the ice and watched it over the next couple of hours adjusting it as it lowered while the ice melted.
    It worked.
    I got this idea when I first tried to lift it. The weight, and shifting our back while bending over to place it in would have put us both in the hospital.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    YukonRon said:
    I am hesitant to offer this up, but, I was helping a friend move a massive and delicate potted plant years ago, to be inserted in a platform table outdoors. The dimensions were very tight and the pot was delicate. The table was a bit more durable. We used a couple blocks of ice.
    We sat the potted plant on the ice and watched it over the next couple of hours adjusting it as it lowered while the ice melted.
    It worked.
    I got this idea when I first tried to lift it. The weight, and shifting our back while bending over to place it in would have put us both in the hospital.
    Now that's a creative solution.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.