Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aging advice on Bison tenderloin??

Options
A good friend just  got a Bison on the late season hunt when they migrate out of Yellowstone. We are planning a dinner for our families and he wants me to cook one of the fillets. I was thinking of dry aging it but not really sure of all the particulars. I have really figured out a great way to cook elk tenderloin but I do that in the oven. This I want to do on my egg. I have an extra fridge in the garage that we use in the summer for drinks . Any advice?

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Sticking around on this one to see what comes up. I have done a ton of elk but never a buffalo. 

Ive actually been toying with the idea of doing a hunt in 2018. Let the wife R&R in town and join her after a few days. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    If you are talking about just a filet - no. You can't age just a single steak. You need to dry a roast, then cut that into steaks to get dry-aged steaks. 

If you are talking about a full tenderloin,personal opinion:  
    If you do it at all, I would not do it more than a week - 2 at absolute most unless in a very controlled dry aging environment. Our fridges are too dry. Tenderloins are a very lean piece of meat, do not have much mass and are typically already very tender. You can dry it some to get a really great crust and dry a bit, but it will not be long enough for it to truly age for tenderness.

Personally if I had the opportunity you have (and it is a full tenderloin), let it sit uncovered as a roast 1-3 days then cook.  If a filet (steak) cook it fresh.

My .02
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    It will be the whole fillet. Thanks @Sea2Ski that's the info I was looking for
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    From what I know about Bison is it's very lean and prone to drying out during cooking.
    Dry aging loses moisture obviously, which to my way of thinking takes the bison, which is already prone to drying out and gives it a substantial head start on becoming dry.
    I could be completely wrong...........

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'd leave it out overnight, maybe 2. I don't think this cut is great for dry aging.  If you want to age it I'd wet age it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    What I normally do with a whole elk fillet is soak in salt water for an hour or two.  But that is a within a day or two of it still walking around. I was thinking to do the same with this as it was still walking last week. Then sit on wire rack in the fridge for a couple days. . I find with the elk that when I pan sear right after the salt water bath I get to much moisture to get a good sear. I do have my egg at elk camp so
    after the sear I drape with bacon and pop in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes usually hit medium to medium rare with the two tips well done. I was hoping a little aging will help with tenderness as once in while the elk will be a little tuff. 
    For wet age would I vacuum seal and refrigerate?? And how long?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.  Rinse, pat dry, vac seal and wet age 5-8 weeks under 40 degrees.  Never done that with the meat you have.  Post whatever you do.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Well, I will keep an eye on this post!

I ate 'beefalo' from a full side 40 years ago that was 'q-ed' in a pit for about 4 days. OH MY!

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!