Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Just Another Reason to Thermapen

About 3 weeks ago my thermapen just flaked out on me. I have had it a little over a year. Needless to say it was a traumatic moment. 

Sent it back to them a week and a half ago. It got back today. No questions asked. Just fixed and returned. No charge. 

1) Customer service was great and quick to help. 

2) That was the longest 10 or so days of my life. I didn't realize how much I use this thing. 

If you're thinking about buying one or on the fence, I strongly suggest you have one or two too many cocktails tonight, get on their website and buy one. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great company, no doubt...
    I had an issue years ago with one of my original style pens.
    I mailed it back to have them take a look. The same day I mailed it back I bought a new one from King Arthur Flour. I did not want to be with out my thermopen for the duration of the repair.lol
    I got my repaired pen back from Theroworks, at no charge, before I got the new one from KAF. Amazing...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Their service sets the bar, period.  It also comes in handy if you want to check the accuracy of your thermostat.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    All this is going to make me break down and buy one!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• @LKNEgg it really shouldn't even be a discussion. 

1) I have saved more money on not destroying or at a minimum screwing up a years worth of"I think it needs a few more minutes" cooks. 

2) The speed helps with heat loss when having to check multiple pieces of meat. 

3) Nobody will sue you for undercooked food! (I could go all night, just buy the dang thing)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    I have a cheap wanna be semi-instant read thermometer.  I keep waiting for it to give up, but it miraculously keeps working.  

I might get over served one evening and "accidentally" break it so I can justify getting a new one to the wife!

Better yet, I'll have the kids take the fall!   :o
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    If you buy a second for a back up get a thermopop. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2017
    @LKNEgg - that is an easy explanation because you are worried about the beautiful wife and kids health that you ordered a new thermapen to protect them from undercooked protein.  You gotta sell it dude.  Lol 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    I try to buy my sisters and mother the same birthday gift every year. Last year was yeti tumblers this year they are all getting Thermapops. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    That is why I have two of them.
    I had two, but I lost them at my buddy's July 4th 2015 party. The next week I ordered a replacement. A day before my replacement arrived my wife found them in the rear seat cup holder in her Tahoe I put them in so I wouldn't lose them. So now I have three...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Absolutely worth every penny.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • @DMW yeah I drink and cook and keep drinking too. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    That's great to know
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Thermapen's are tough as nails. Mine's two years old and its cracked on backside near where it opens. It still works fine, takes a little bit to get it to turn on, but it hasn't let me down yet. I am not very easy on it, it gets a lot, and been dropped numerous times, and left out in the rain, snow and cold.

Waiting for a good sale and will get an Mk4 and some thermopops to give away as gifts and have as a backup.
  • Awesome company. Mine actually stopped working on Christmas this year. They mailed me out a new one and just asked me to ship my old one back in the box the new one came in. 

Was pleasantly surprised by that level of service. 
  • @Cashfan I think in the email they sent me they only charged $25 for non warrantied repairs. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    @Cashfan I think in the email they sent me they only charged $25 for non warrantied repairs. 
    Thanks for the info! Will probably send it in after I get a new one. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I have two of them. Had three and gave my brother one though. 

It has made me a better cook 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DMW said:
    That is why I have two of them.
    I had two, but I lost them at my buddy's July 4th 2015 party. The next week I ordered a replacement. A day before my replacement arrived my wife found them in the rear seat cup holder in her Tahoe I put them in so I wouldn't lose them. So now I have three...
    Send one down my way.  =)

i can't'afford more than a cheap one. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• @LKNEgg   My Thermapen was a game changer...  no longer do I say well that chicken needs to cook a little longer to make sure it done.... Any meat we cook outside or inside is always spot on. My wife is always using to check cakes and other things for doneness in the oven..  I gave both my sons one for Christmas 2 years ago and I constantly hear from them how wonderful their food is now...  Don't delay.. Get you one.... you won't regret it....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I have 2. One was my brother's that he left at my house. I used it then bought one for myself. Tried to return his and he said it wasn't his. So I kept it. 
    I used to take one when cooking at a friend's house. Drove me nuts keeping track of it. So I bought thermopops for the regular friends so I wouldn't need to bring mine. Also got some refurbished thermopops to take with me on outside cooks. If they get left behind, not a huge deal.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I wish that I had the same experience with the company.  If my memory is correct, they charged me $25 to repair mine after it flaked out.  It was only a year old.  I love it though.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    I purchased a refurb and couldn't be happier. Use it constantly and it definitely has helped make me a better cook. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• I have a thermapop, is the extra speed of the pen worth the purchase?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I have a thermapop, is the extra speed of the pen worth the purchase?
    For some yes.  For some no.  It comes in handy when you are checking the temps of a couple dozen chicken pieces you are grilling and you need to get accurate readings in a hurry.  Same for a mess of shrimp.  Not important for checking temps of a butt or other slow cooked item.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• This is what I have and it gives me a reading in about 5 seconds. Its worked fine now for the year that I have had it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Cooking-Temperature-Alpha-Grillers/dp/B00S93EQUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485883549&sr=8-1&keywords=alpha+grillers

Dropped it in the toilet once (don't ask). Fished it out, took the battery out and let it dry for several days in a bag of rice then cleaned and sanitized it. Works fine. Just checked the accuracy last Sunday in boiling water and it was dead on.
    MiniMax 04/17

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I'm just not a fan of any "instant read" thermometer that takes 7 seconds to get a stable reading (that is the claimed time by the makers of the unit).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• @jtcBoynton : I can understand that. But the reading is in the ballpark quicker than that though it may take 6 or 7 seconds to stabilize. Ballpark is close enough to make sure that I'm over a safe temp for consumption. Most of my cooks are longer and I us the Maverick or FlameBoss meat probes.

I'm also very fond of the $80 I saved. I've pretty much be unemployed or in forced retirement for the last 3 years so I love saving money. Probably shouldn't have bought the egg if I wanted to save money.  :)

I do have the Thermoworks InfraRed thermometer.

MiniMax 04/17

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2017

Dropped it in the toilet once 

@SaintJohnsEgger

so, what was the temp of the toilet water?

Phoenix