Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Score at Costco!!!

As I scoured the meat department at Costco I found the one package of gold. !!! Tomorrow night dinner for the wife and I is going to be epic!!!!!

Comments

• JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Nice, picked up a whole Prime Beef Tenderloin there myself today!

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I wish they wouldn't blade tenderize their cut meats......

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Our Costco's never have the cap steaks, bummer as it's my favorite to cook.

I did just get back from Costco, scored a couple of prime tomahawks for $12lb.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    FATC1TY said:
    I wish they wouldn't blade tenderize their cut meats......
    The thing is, I don't think they DO... it's just the Prime cuts, isn't it? The ones you would think they wouldn't NEED to tenderize!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    If they are blade tenderized then you should see the tell-tale marks in the white fat. That picture isn't real clear, but I don't see the marks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    RRP said:
    If they are blade tenderized then you should see the tell-tale marks in the white fat. That picture isn't real clear, but I don't see the marks.
    They label them when they are.  I would still love those, regardless of blade/no blade:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • FATC1TY
    RRP said:
    They send the whole primal or roast through it and then cut. It would be hard to see in the cap steaks. 

They do it, and denote it on the label. 

This is why I don't buy their pre cut stuff
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I don't sweat the blade tenderizer as far as meat temp. Would prefer not to have it but wouldn't think twice about eating these rare. 

Think about out all of the steaks this place has sold across the country- ever hear of anyone getting sick?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Ribeye caps still on my to do list look forward following your cook! What's your game plan?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Wolfpack said:
    I don't sweat the blade tenderizer as far as meat temp. Would prefer not to have it but wouldn't think twice about eating these rare. 

Think about out all of the steaks this place has sold across the country- ever hear of anyone getting sick?
    Isn't someone getting sick the whole reason they label them? I avoid blade tenderized, but have had good luck with their fillets. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Honest question:  Why does blade tenderized matter?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Isn't someone getting sick the whole reason they label them? I avoid blade tenderized, but have had good luck with their fillets. 
    I would think it's more legal cover than anything. I can't imagine all the people buying steaks there are eating them medium well/well. If that was the case I don't think they would sell many. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RedSkip said:
    Cuts the surface and may push bacteria deeper into steak.  Makes people worried when cooking rare.  Not sure how deep the cuts are, but I wouldn't sweat it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Ozzie_Isaac. Thanks, didn't realize this was a concern.  Doubt I'll personally pay attention to this, but I can see why others do.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RedSkip said:
    Without blade tenderizing, the meat on the inside has not been contaminated and is safe to cook to rare/med rare temps. Any contaminants on the outer surface will be killed by the heat. Once they stick needles into it, all bets are off. You have to cook well beyond the temp most people want in order to take care of possible internal contamination. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    This are a first time for me.  Think I will coat with either Grunt Rub or Hardcore Carnivore and indirect at 250 till they hit 125. My better half like her steak ruined so I will let hers get higher then sear them both at 600 degrees till finished. Some loaded mashed potatoes cedar planked for a side!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Hntnhrd said:
    This are a first time for me.  Think I will coat with either Grunt Rub or Hardcore Carnivore and indirect at 250 till they hit 125. My better half like her steak ruined so I will let hers get higher then sear them both at 600 degrees till finished. Some loaded mashed potatoes cedar planked for a side!!
    I would rest a bit before sear so you do not overshoot your temp.  They are thinner when unrolled.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If packaged like the Costco around here, those are "jelly-rolled" and shape maintained with string.  Great score.  
    I prefer to unroll and cook hot and fast, others go with them as they are packaged.  Can't go wrong as long as you hit the finish temp.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hntnhrd
    Yes these are tied. I was looking for short ribs ( which they never have ) and happened to see this lone package. Top sirloin was 4.09 a pound and almost grabbed that. Prime packers were 2.99 but I couldn't resist buying these @ 19.99 a pound.!! Lol 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I've never made those.  Looks like a nice cut.

Do you just grill it like you would a filet?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    edited January 2017
    Just chiming in, but I HATE the fact they blade tenderize prime cuts.  It's absurd.  I think the whole cuts are not.  But, IMO, this puts people at increased risk.  Prime tender cuts should be assumed to be cooked to rare (med rare at most).

And, as a legal risk, having no one getting sick is much less risky than having people get sick and relying on a label to cover them.  A bad outcome with legal disclaimers is much riskier than no bad outcome.  (see this all the time in my medical practice)

While more expensive, I buy nearly all my meat from Flannery (no need for blades there), but I used to buy a lot from Costco and I'm tempted from time to time.

FWIW, we bought these on a ski vacation last week in Utah and I became violently ill that night.  Seared to rare+ in a pan with spooned brown butter.  Probably related to something else I ate, but I can't help but include it in the possibilities.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Nice score!  @CPARKTX. This is what I get at the Costco in Syracuse.

Buford,Ga.
  • Regardless of how good their protocol is, the needles push the exterior contamination into the steaks.  That is why ground beef needs higher temps, the exterior is ground up with the interior.  At least Costco labels and discloses it when they do it.  You can avoid it at Costco by buying the cryovac packed big uncut pieces--different labels and packaging  Our costco sells prime ribeye uncut for 10.99 pound.  I get a family member to split it, I cut the steaks and vaccuum seal, and we are good to go.  No blade tenderizing and the price is great for prime boneless ribeye.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Costco started blade tenderizing after surveys showed the vast majority of members preferred the tenderized meat over non-needled meat. In addition, they voluntarily placed the notification on the label long before it was required by law. Their cleaning protocols go above and beyond what is required for sanitation so I would not worry in the least. 
  • FATC1TY
    KiterTodd said:
    I've never made those.  Looks like a nice cut.

Do you just grill it like you would a filet?
    Sort of. They are very thick usually so a reverse sear to just under desired temp and a sear works best. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hntnhrd
    Well here is the final product! Best freaking steak of my life. Melted like butter . Went bold and seared caveman style right on the coals!!!! Strait salt and pepper and the flavor of the beef was amazing. The loaded mashers with onions garlic bacon and Colby jack held their own. These will definitely be on the special occasion list from now on!!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2017
    You're supposed to cook the beef to 145F according to the FDA.  All that blade tenderizin' germs be dead.  Of course your steak will have the same texture as boot leather, but safety first.

I don't sweat it.  We ate raw meat before we invented fire.  Of course we died when we were 25-30 years old on average back then, but our species survived, somehow.