Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tired of my egg freezing shut

Options
I love grilling/smoking year round, but my egg freezes shut all the time. Last time I had to pry off the top cap and then build a small fire in the ash bin to warm everything up. Has anyone had any luck applying anything to the gaskets to keep them from freezing together?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    A lot of folks put aluminum foil strips over the gasket to prevent this.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    In wet freezing weather I just keep the dome propped open an inch or so to prevent it from freezing together.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    They make covers for this.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    In wet freezing weather I just keep the dome propped open an inch or so to prevent it from freezing together.
    That works as well - until you have to sit up and wait several hours for the lump to extinguish before you can prop it back open.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • slheinlein
    Options
    CTMike said:
    HeavyG said:
    That works as well - until you have to sit up and wait several hours for the lump to extinguish before you can prop it back open.

Does it freeze the night after you've used it?  Mine usually freezes only after a few days of non-use and there's been rain and then freezing temps again.  It should not be frozen the day after you use it so just prop it open the next day.  I use the plastic tabs they provide to assemble as they are perfect.  You have to be a little proactive but this has been working for me.
    Large and MiniMax
    Mont Vernon, NH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never had a freezing problem. I've never been through a winter with the stock gasket either. I bought my egg in August 2009 and installed a Rutland (on the base only) in Nov or Dec 2009. ISTR that it froze once in all those years since then. My egg is always out in the elements, I don't use a cover and I live in Connecticut. I never prop it open or use foil (or anything else).

Not sure if it has to do with the properties of the gasket, the fact that the gasket is only installed on the base or some other factor. A couple of winters ago, I was out of town from Christmas through the end of March. When I returned, the egg was fine.

Is it the Rutland? Or am I just livin' right?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    After my cook is done I cap the top and close the damper to snuff out the fire. Once it cools down I put the cover on. I'm wondering if letting it burn hot for a while after the cook is done might help dry things out a bit prior to snuffing the fire? It's the moisture trapped in the gasket that keeps giving me problems.

@LKNEgg - The Southern migration sounds better every year.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I used to have this problem.  My stock gasket got fried.  I installed a Rutland from @RRP and have not had the issue since (that i can remember).  HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR EGG FREEZE SHUT IF WHILE EMPLOYING A RUTLAND?

Just curious.

To keep it from freezing, you will have to be proactive.  Either use the amount of charcoal you think you will need for each cook and put a golf tee between the dome and the base when done cooking, letting coals burn until gone, OR going out the next day to gap the lid with a golf tee or other means.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    @kl8ton - I have been using a Rutland gasket for about 3 years and my dome has frozen shut 1 time.  I left the egg out in the elements and we had about 1/4 inch of freezing rain, so it was user error and would have probably frozen shut with any gasket. That is the only time it has happened though. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Teefus What's the story with your avatar?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I use foil strips  on the base when shutting down the BGE.  No issues with freezing and no need to wait for a cool-down to insert the golf tee spacer.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    no gasket = no freezing or frying. That was my solution.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Just move, easy fix.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • 19Sunny45
    Options
    After the fire is out put a couple of icecresm sticks between the dome and the base. Wathat should stop it from freezing closed.
  • Teefus
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @Teefus What's the story with your avatar?
    It's a civil war era photo of my Great Great Grandfather. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Excellent! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It happened to me when my egg was new.  Now, my gaskets are soaked with fat and the egg is no longer freezing shut.  I also stopped using my cover because humidity was being trapped inside.  I live in Canada and leave it uncovered in rain, snow, etc.

Options
    CTMike said:
    HeavyG said:
    Or...you can just let the remaining lump burn. Depending on the cook I don't always start with a full load of fuel.

Also, that sort of freezing rain is not a common event in my area so I'm not concerned about wasting a few handfuls of lump once a year.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Teefus
    Options
    Late breaking news......

I went outside side to start the process of thawing and opening and to my surprise the lid opened right up and the cap came right off. When I put it up last weekend I wiped the gaskets down with some olive oil hoping it would prevent moisture from collecting and subsequently freezing. It seems to have worked like a charm. 
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    Greetings everyone, I'm a new member, I feel like I found a great community here. Bought my first egg about a year ago and I'm now addicted. I got tired of my large freezing shut here in Michigan. I didn't want a cover, don't like how foil looks, so I went another route. I designed a flexible aluminum sheet metal piece to slip over my adjustable rig and rest between the top and bottom of the dome. When it ices over, I simply flex the sheet metal which cracks the ice and allows me to open my egg.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    derka123 said:
    Greetings everyone, I'm a new member, I feel like I found a great community here. Bought my first egg about a year ago and I'm now addicted. I got tired of my large freezing shut here in Michigan. I didn't want a cover, don't like how foil looks, so I went another route. I designed a flexible aluminum sheet metal piece to slip over my adjustable rig and rest between the top and bottom of the dome. When it ices over, I simply flex the sheet metal which cracks the ice and allows me to open my egg.

Great fix for a common problem. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the asylum! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Mine sits out all winter and never freezes. I think there is some truth to what @paqman said about grease etc. 
    I like @derka123's fix but I'm happy to not need it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    If the weather is that bad, it's a good night to eat something else, like chili. =)
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Get the high heat gasket. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!