Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

high temp problems??

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking steak the other night, and had it up past the dial, seared and finished them dwell (btw, was awesome! beef for the women, moose for the boys).
Thing is, ever since then, when ever I am cooking at over 400 if I open the lid, even for a sec., my heat shoots up so fast. Cooked up some pizza(with new maple leaf lump, cleaned fire box) the other night and had a hell of a time controlling my heat. Opened the lid once to check on progress and burnt the hair on my knuckles, shot up to over 700 ( was cooking at 550)!
I have looked around the gaskets, and no smoke comes out so I don't know where that extra air is coming from?? Smoke is only coming from the top!
any help out there!

Comments

• smokn gramma g,what brand of charcoal were you using before?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    Sounds like you have rocket fuel lump, or was it a windy day?
    Just before you lift the dome open, close the lower draft door. After the dome is back down, set the lower draft back to where it was.
    See if this helps.
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    are you trying to control temps with the daisy and have the bottom vent wide open. try controling the temps from the bottom only. at those temps you dont need a daisy on top. 500 degrees is probably the hardest temp to control on an egg when your opening and closing it numerous times. be fast when opening and closing. if your controlling temps more from the top, and the bottom wide open you are letting a tremendous amount of air thru the lower vent when you open the top, this will create a larger fire much faster. that maple leaf lump you have is probably the best lump out there, im jealous

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]Send me that bag of lump. That will take care of your problem. :) [p]Otherwise close down the bottom vent. The key here is to begin closing the boottom vent when you hit about 425. and sneak up on 500. Even then I close it up all the way a couple of minutes prior to opening to keep the fire from going exploding.