Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raunchy Smelling Butt

Options
I purchased two Boston butts the other day to cook for the guys at work.  I get home and this afternoon and open the first one, shew!!!! Pure nasy funk odor.  Needless to say I'll be making a trip back to the grocery store.   The cook must go on!

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Pork can be finicky. If the butt stinks send it back!!!
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Two thumbs up to BiLo.  I sent photos to my wife and she stopped by on the way home.  The manager was very understanding and apologetic.  They gave us a larger butt than we originally purchased at no additional cost.  That my friends, is how you keep customers coming back.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Cryovac can do that, rinse and let it set. It is best to err on the side of caution, but Cryovac can have a funky smell
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    reload said:
    Two thumbs up to BiLo.  I sent photos to my wife and she stopped by on the way home.  The manager was very understanding and apologetic.  They gave us a larger butt than we originally purchased at no additional cost.  That my friends, is how you keep customers coming back.
    Or just don't sell the stank nasty butt in the first place.  Keep away from the nasty boo - tay
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    +1. I thinks sometimes the cryovac butts take on a sulfur smell but they are OK.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Ball$y thread title any time and especially on a Friday-glad it all worked out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The smell should rinse off just fine. The nature of cryovac. Now you have two butts. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I had one that smelled funky one time . I rinsed and cooked anyway. The dam thing tasted the same as it smelled. Threw the $hit out. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DaveRichardson
    Options

Ya think that this might help????? 

Happy Friday!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @DaveRichardson you better watch that thing around @NPHuskerFL

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    The smell should rinse off just fine. The nature of cryovac. Now you have two butts. 
    That's what she said!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Just stirring the pot......  just cracked open a little Pappy van Winkle for the Friday evening show.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• shtgunal3
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Just stirring the pot......  just cracked open a little Pappy van Winkle for the Friday evening show.....
    I'm jealous . I'm having some of Pappy's stepchild tonight. It is pretty damn good though.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    Options
    I really enjoy pork shoulder, butts, and belly on my BGE.

I have not had one that smelled bad yet.  I figure it is a matter of time.

I err on the cautious side.  If it is funky I tend to shy away.  To much invested time for questionable protein.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My 10 yr old son. Raunchy butt
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Keep drinking. I use my pappy stash for beans when company come over to rustle jimmies. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    I just clicked on the thread because of the title.  The bargoyles I take to per hour motels would understand.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    May be just the cryostink. Take the meat out of the bag and let it sit out a few minutes. Cryostink will dissipate. Rotten meat will keep smelling rotten. 

Pappy tastes terrible but makes a pretty good bourbon maple glaze. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle