Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

for chili: ground chuck vs. ground brisket?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
I always make my chili using fresh ground chuck that either I grind myself or for convenience from a local butcher shop. I have seen people mention ground brisket and am wondering if it is worth the time and effort to grind my own brisket. Any input regarding taste and texture would be appreciated. BTW I want good fat in that meat - not lean crap! =)
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited January 2017
    I haven't ground Brisket for Chili, however I have ground Brisket and Chuck for Beef Sausage--can't tell the difference in Sausage @ all, IMHO Chili and Sausage it is the spices that make the difference- Texture will be the same in either because of the Grind---Cooked Brisket added to Chili is another Story
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i go with the chuck, brisket is priced like a good steak up here. 1/2 inch or bigger on the grind plate, i dont like mushy chili
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've used a chopped/cubed brisket blend in the past that has won chili competitions. Brisket is superior to ground chuck, in my opinion. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • We do a lot of ground deer or ground 80/20 organic. 

Im sure ground brisket is good stuff, but I don't see the point in tossing that in a chili pot. There's a reason cheap meat ends up in the pot. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I use elk meat. But that's what I always have. The last batch of chili I had some left over smoked brisket so I cubed it. I liked the cubed texture better then ground meat. Fwiw.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    If grinding I like chuck + venison.  If using brisket I'd cube it as mentioned.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ron

my standard chili is very course ground chuck, and half sirloin flap meat in half inch cubes, it has great texture. if your adding tomato sauce i dont think you will notice a difference in beef flavor either way. i go with dried spices and fresh serranos now. stopped using tomatoes, beans, and jalapenos. its way spicier than before without the bathroom problem associated with chili the next day. i assume its the tomatoes and beans that does that cause my technique produces a really hot flavor, more than most texans could handle =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Last batch we made was with cubed short rib meat.

Google Serious Eats Short Rib Chili.

Outstanding.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    stopped using tomatoes, beans
    @Mickey will be so pleased! About half the time, I do that too. =)

And I also prefer cubed beef to ground. It's a bit of a pain, but the texture is much bettah. Chuck or even eye round. Any beef roast really, though I've never used brisket.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    I've used ground beef and smoked brisket leftovers (i.e. after they're a few days old and I don't want to eat them anymore). I cut up the smoked brisket and throw it in the chili.

Wife and I prefer the smoked brisket chili over the ground beef chili.

I've never ground brisket though...
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    I have taken to using flank steak in chili.  I cut into long thin strips (along the grain, dead easy) and then cut the strips into little pieces...about the size of a pea.  Then I brown them well.  The result is great and I love the texture compared to ground meat.
    Toronto ON
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I use ground beef, ground hot sausage, and cubed brisket. Venison when I have it. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 more for smoked brisket chili. I usually use leftovers, but I have smoked a flat, chopped it, and put it straight into a big pot of chili.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I smoke the brisket then cube it for chili, that is the best!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • We have used just about all types of meat from beef, deer and #1 son has made chili from the elan they killed. I have also been known to throw in pork to make the pot stretch. 
    CQ. Frank Tolbert said it was Lady Bird Johnson's cook that added tomatoes.  
    I have been known to use tomatoes, but never beans.....that is just heresy! 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RRP
     from the elan they killed.
    please enlighten me - Google doesn't seem to know what kind of animal an "elan" is either.
  • Oops eland. Darn corrective text!!!!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Ground brisket is best used in burgers when you want to amaze the crowd.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Oops eland. Darn corrective text!!!!
    Thanks.

The common eland, also known as the southern eland or eland antelope, is a savannah and plains antelope found in East and Southern Africa.

Guess that's why at least I still had to look up eland.  =)