Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trump breaks another record, but chooses not to brag...

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    over 368,000 people on the petition on the whitehouse website demanding The Great pumpkin release his tax returns.

why no braggadocio Donald?
    Because 50 million don't give a damn
    But 60 million do.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    IBLT

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    gotta love our two party system. we have the republicans and the media, everyone else can just move along =)

OK.  I've asked this before but didn't get what seemed to be a satisfactory answer - so I'll reword it and ask it again.

It seems to me that the media's (mainstream or otherwise) PRIMARY purpose is to make money.  The mainstream media figured out that they get more viewers/clicks/hits when they cater to a liberal base - as that is who is sitting home watching television or clicking on their stories on the internet.   The people more prone to do that seem to like stories that tug at the heartstrings, etc.   I'm not saying that this represents the majority of the US public, but it represents the majority of the TV viewing US public (one could argue that people without jobs are more prone to watch TV  - particularly during the day).  However, several of you have suggested that the media have a different primary role - that of influencing policy/elections/etc.  I'm not going to argue that never happens, but I don't think that leading up to the election, the conversations in media board rooms went like this:

Editor 1:  “So, we can lead with the story that makes Trump look bad, but it will cost us some money because not that many people want to see that and they’ll change the channel.”

Editor 2: “That’s OK.  Let’s take the financial hit and put our jobs at risk because I hate that SOB and the people who plan to vote for him.”

So, to be clear – I think that there is some media bias but that it is secondary to – and driven by - the biases of the TV viewing audience - which doesn't necessarily reflect the views of all US citizens.  They have to cater to their audience. 

My question for those who think that media bias is a big issue is:  Do you really think that the PRIMARY problem is the media?  If you answer "Yes" to this then that means you honestly believe that their businesses are willing to give up profits to drive their political agenda - and that doesn't seem like a business model that can persist for very long because another business would come in to fill the niche...

Note:  I don't have an agenda here, I'm just trying to understand our world.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    gotta love our two party system. we have the republicans and the media, everyone else can just move along =)

OK.  I've asked this before but didn't get what seemed to be a satisfactory answer - so I'll reword it and ask it again.

It seems to me that the media's (mainstream or otherwise) PRIMARY purpose is to make money.  The mainstream media figured out that they get more viewers/clicks/hits when they cater to a liberal base - as that is who is sitting home watching television or clicking on their stories on the internet.   The people more prone to do that seem to like stories that tug at the heartstrings, etc.   I'm not saying that this represents the majority of the US public, but it represents the majority of the TV viewing US public (one could argue that people without jobs are more prone to watch TV  - particularly during the day).  However, several of you have suggested that the media have a different primary role - that of influencing policy/elections/etc.  I'm not going to argue that never happens, but I don't think that leading up to the election, the conversations in media board rooms went like this:

Editor 1:  “So, we can lead with the story that makes Trump look bad, but it will cost us some money because not that many people want to see that and they’ll change the channel.”

Editor 2: “That’s OK.  Let’s take the financial hit and put our jobs at risk because I hate that SOB and the people who plan to vote for him.”

So, to be clear – I think that there is some media bias but that it is secondary to – and driven by - the biases of the TV viewing audience - which doesn't necessarily reflect the views of all US citizens.  They have to cater to their audience. 

My question for those who think that media bias is a big issue is:  Do you really think that the PRIMARY problem is the media?  If you answer "Yes" to this then that means you honestly believe that their businesses are willing to give up profits to drive their political agenda - and that doesn't seem like a business model that can persist for very long because another business would come in to fill the niche...

Note:  I don't have an agenda here, I'm just trying to understand our world.

I think the mainstream media is taking a beating by Trump because, well, I think you can figure that out.  As far as bias goes, I find this site to be very fair, the link below is to their methodology. 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/methodology/

Options
    its biased to make money, thats all it is, and its biased to their followers, they dont bias it to lose money. right or left, even the extremists on am radio, they do it to make money. problem seems to be people dont want the news, they want to watch entertainment that feeds there bias and its readily availabe on the political stage on tv ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited January 2017
    Options

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    caliking said:
    over 368,000 people on the petition on the whitehouse website demanding The Great pumpkin release his tax returns.

Because 50 million don't give a damn
    But 60 million do.
    Doesn't matter because the candidate didn't win for the 60 million folks who are whining
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Not sure why anybody cares about his taxes if he can turn the country around for the better. All the hate on him for getting the best people on his cabinet not sure what people expected maybe he should have hired some poets and mind readers in stead of people that know money matters.
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't care about his tax situation.  he' involved with several businesses and has numerous write offs, so it's possible he legally doesn't owe any.  I wish I could figure out how to do the same.  Does anyone enjoy paying taxes?
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    PlanSB said:

only the media cares about his tax returns though.....
    ???

My comment was tongue in cheek.  That's what DJT said at the train wreck of a presser back in early January.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe his taxes show how by building a wall that we are all going to pay for is going to make him money.

Even if he doesn't I don't understand how people don't think his agenda could be set to personally gain from the power he now has.

Besides, he did say if elected he would show his returns, then later said after an audit, now he says he won't. Waffling in my opinion..

• billt01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe his taxes show how by building a wall that we are all going to pay for is going to make him money.

Even if he doesn't I don't understand how people don't think his agenda could be set to personally gain from the power he now has.

Besides, he did say if elected he would show his returns, then later said after an audit, now he says he won't. Waffling in my opinion..

↑↑↑↑↑↑

@hungry

ALL politicians waffle...not just your opnion
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    You lefties are all going to have strokes before the end of his eight years at this rate...... might want to take up yoga,meditation or recreational drugs.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    ^^^^^ Typical, change the subject and divert the conversation. ^^^^^^
  • billt01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    losing 3 Navy Seals and an ambassador is not "typical" ... but I guess your concerns any my concerns are just a bit different...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Hungry Joe
    Options
    sigh, again....how many times is the subject going to change? No attention span?

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Stopped reading when I got to Gloria Allred, however I do like the Rack on #3
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    Options
    sigh, again....how many times is the subject going to change? No attention span?

apologies...

How about Donald Trumps Tax  returns....
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    billt01 said:
    losing 4 Navy Seals and an ambassador is not "typical" ... but I guess your concerns any my concerns are just a bit different...

Not to belabor the details, but it was 3 Navy Seals., and there is no indication at the emails were regarding Benghazi - rather the missing emails were uncovered during the repeated Benghazi witch hunt.
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    losing 4 Navy Seals and an ambassador is not "typical" ... but I guess your concerns any my concerns are just a bit different...

Not to belabor the details, but it was 3 Navy Seals., and there is no indication at the emails were regarding Benghazi - rather the missing emails were uncovered during the repeated Benghazi witch hunt.
    post corrected and I will agree to disagree on the e-mails..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/fbi-recovered-30-potentially-new-clinton-emails-related-to-2012-benghazi-attacks/2016/08/30/150bcf1a-6ed1-11e6-8533-6b0b0ded0253_story.html?utm_term=.550269455a67
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lkapigian
    Options
    billt01 said:

2 Seals 2 Contractors I believe
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    Options
    lets not change the subject...

DONALD TRUMPS TAX RETURNS!!!!!!
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lkapigian
    Options
    I think he might break a record for lying and just making sh!t up too:

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TAXES!!!!!

or TAX RETURNS!!!! rather..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Gaslighting has become my new favorite word. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Beavis and Butthead used to do that as do Terrence and Phillip.

Nothing funnier than a lit fart.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Seems he may be the one true master  =)
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options

We have a President that makes fun of a disabled reporter. People of such low character are rarely honest, open or transparent.
    My hope is that we will not end up in a recession or another war during his term however long it lasts,