Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Successful First Pizza

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was really fun and really good! I used leftover spatchcock chicken, onions, black olives and two kinds of cheese. I couldn't find any cornmeal, so used parchment paper and it was so easy that I will probably stick with that method, because it is so clean and easy. The Egg was running between 450 and 500 and I pulled it after 10 minutes.[p]FirstPizzaonBGE.jpg

Comments

• Jackbythesea
    Options
    BobS,
    Next time brush olive oil on the edges before you cook it. Looks great, tastes great!
    JR

• BobS,
    nice, what kind of dough did you use? i cant find anywhere that will sell me pizza dough so i just used boboli. also, isnt 450 to 500 a little low?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BobS,
    Very nice! It's hard to beat the parchment paper for a no brainer non-stick. -RP

• BobS
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    Thanks for the tip - that sounds good. As unorganized as I was tonight I was lucky to remember the cheese on top.

• BobS
    Options
    Luis,
    I "sort of" used the recipe posted below, that I got off the forum, from BabyBoomBBQ. I say "sort of" because all I had was all purpose flour and semolina, so I added 1 1/4 Cup all purpose flour and 3/4-Cup Semolina Flour. I just let it rise 2 hours. Probably would have been better to let it go overnight in the frig. It wasn't perfect, but good enough to have me go with that recipe again.[p]Pizza Dough
    BGE Posted by BabyBoomBBQ[p]Yield: one dough ball for a 14-inch pizza. Double for two, triple for three. When making multiple recipes, cut into equal portions prior to rising. Use weight to divide![p]3/4 Cup Warm water (or warm beer)
    4 Tsp. Sugar
    1 Tsp. Olive Oil (NOT Extra Virgin)
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 1/2 Cup High Gluten Flour
    1/2-Cup Semolina Flour[p]1) Measure flour and set aside.
    2) Measure other ingredients.
    3) Mix all ingredients except flour and mix until solids dissolved.
    4) Immediately, add liquid to mixer, turn on low and add flour.
    5) Knead for at least 20 minutes or until the gluten forms the baker’s window when you make a mini pizza and stretch it.
    6) Form ball and place in a lightly oiled zip lock bag so that the ball is resting on the opening.
    7) Allow dough to rise for two hours or until doubled in size.
    8) Pinch down gently, reform ball, return to bag and set in refrigerator for at least two hours or up to 24 - hours.
    9) Allow dough to reach room temperature before using.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Luis,
    Your grocery store should have pizza dough in a box ready for liquid.

• BobS
    Options
    wobin,
    I live in Mexico. Lots of good points about living down here, but availability of stuff like that is not one of them. On the other hand, I have no trouble getting all kinds of tortillas for small personal pizzas.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    BobS,[p]That's the spirit! Play with what you find here! This looked like a tasty treat to me. I get the High Gluten Flour at a local "health" store, but I think "bread machine" flour has sufficient gluten to be a good replacement. Sometimes, I add some dried herbs and some of the dry cheeses to the dough. [p]Also, try it with flat “hoppy” beer in place of the water. You will be happy you did. :-)
    I use Sam Adams Boston lager.[p]

• BobS,[p]Can you get corn tortillas larger than the 6" ones they have up here? I keep looking. These are one of my little life savers since I cannot eat wheat based products.[p]Thanks[p]Gas
  • BobS
    Options
    Gaspar, no we only get the standard size corn tortillas and sometimes smaller ones for tacitos. If you are interested in larger ones, however, it is not difficult to make your own. In most US cities, you should be able to buy the dry flour for making tortillas (MASECA is a popular brand)and all you do is add water and roll out in the shape you want. You would cook them on a non-stick griddle or even a cast iron skillet. Note that tortilla flour is not just fine cornmeal -- it is a special product.[p]It is best to let the masa rest about 30 minutes before using, to let it absorb all the water. It should be wet enough to form easily, but not so wet it sticks to your hands.

• BobS,[p]Thanks, but I am lazy. Wish I could just buy them. ;^(
    Hogsden Mills (sp) has a nice well graded cornmeal, which might work. Have not seen the maseca meal you mention but have been told that before.[p]Working with rice flour for a usable pizza crust. Had pretty good results this past weekend. But, man do I miss real bread!!![p]Gas