Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New method for cooking chicken wings

Mr Beer
Mr Beer Posts: 121
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using a new method to cook chicken wings that I discovered on accident. [p]Here's the method:[p]Start the fire then have something come up that you forget that you started the fire (that's the accident part). When you get back to the egg you will see that the temperature is 700+ degrees.[p]Put the chicken wings on the cooking surface (direct) and close down the egg completely (I close the bottom vent and put the rain cap on).[p]Leave alone for 15 minutes. Temperature should be between 350 and 400. Remove the rain cap and open the bottom vent fully and wait 20-30 seconds then burp the top to prevent flashback. Turn the wings then install daisy wheel and adjust dampers until temp is 350-375.[p]Flip every 15 minutes until done. I usually cook wings for a total of 1 hour.[p]Wings will come out with crispy skin, fall off the bone tender and very moist.[p]My favorite seasoning for wings is Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk sprinkled heavily before putting on the grill.[p]I'll never cook wings any other way again. [p]

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    mrbeer,[p]I'll give it a shot. I got the first part about starting the fire and then forgetting it down pat.[p]Looks like ya got some experience with flashbacks :) I haven't been initiated yet.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Tiger Tony,
    You will, when you least expect it. -RP

• mrbeer,[p]Hi, [p]Are you putting your wings on the grill when the BGE is hopping at 700? If so, are you leaving them for 15mins? Perhaps you could share your setup with us...[p]Thanks the wings sound great...

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Mark B,
    I'm putting the wings on directly over the flames when the temps are 700+ degrees. Then imediately close the egg up so that the wings are not going to burn. After 15 minutes I flip the wings then allow some air to pass through the egg to maintain the temp at around 375 degrees. The key is to get the wings on fast then close the egg up tight. The heat is so high that the skin crisps up and seals in the juices. By closing the egg down there is only high heat, no flames.