Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proposed 20% border tax

Options
Can someone smarter than me tell me how this could effect BGE?  President Trump is proposing a 20% tax on all imports from Mexico to pay for the wall.  

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It means BGE will help fund our border wall :whistle:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Don't you guys sell lots of sh1t to other countries? 20% the other way might hurt too.
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The lefts way of thinking about it - prices will be 20% higher.

The rights way of thinking about it - prices to the consumer will remain the same, but the companies will magically find a way to reduce costs by 20%.

I'm not biased, nope, not one bit ;)
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    ToTheMax said:

The rights way of thinking about it - prices to the consumer will remain the same, but the companies will magically find a way to reduce costs by 20%.

You don't run a business, do you?
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    For 20% they can look at another source, get better product and save some of the 20% for bottom line.
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    Eoin said:
    ToTheMax said:

You don't run a business, do you?
    Nope, it turns out a business is way more work than I'm willing to do.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sheeeeeiit. That dadgum wall won't build itself, now will it? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    I don't understand exactly how the world and economy work but wouldn't this also encourage buying products made here in the USA?

If so, I am for this proposal for that alone. 
    VA Beach
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    ToTheMax said:

I can tell you, there isn't 20% of fluff to go get. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    We're not getting along???

I thought we were all getting along.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ToTheMax
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    We're not getting along???

I thought we were all getting along.

I agree, I don't see any bloody noses.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    I don't understand exactly how the world and economy work but wouldn't this also encourage buying products made here in the USA?

If so, I am for this proposal for that alone. 
    Probably not - Mexico will almost certainly bring a complaint to the WTO for the US violating GATT, and if we ignore a WTO ruling we'll probably see reciprocal tariffs from all other members.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    caliking said:
    The genius of this plan is that we get to pay for it twice!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    He's not gonna do it. He's just acting like he is so that he can claim to have fulfilled his campaign promise. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    He's not gonna do it. He's just acting like he is so that he can claim to have fulfilled his campaign promise. 
    I don't follow.

If he doesn't do it, then either
    1) No wall gets build -> campaign promise fail
    2) Mexico doesn't pay for the wall -> campaign promise fail
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    He'll keep talking about it until there's newfound reason out of his control not to do it. Then, yes, it'll technically be a fail but he'll have an escape route. Or better yet a scapegoat. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    He'll keep talking about it until there's newfound reason out of his control not to do it. Then, yes, it'll technically be a fail but he'll have an escape route. Or better yet a scapegoat. 
    I bet you're wrong. You in?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    I'll be betting against something I want to see built, but I'm in. What's the stakes?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
     @Jeremiah  why not  literally make it steaks maybe SRF.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just saw this link used on CBC as they were discussing the issue - https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico

Trade between Mexico is about $590B, including the BGE parts, Mexico has a trade surplus of about $60B. Of this some $90B is vehicles and car parts, the parts feed current assembly lines in USA. @Mickey new Tacoma might have been built or parted in Mexico. 20% tariff will either hit the company's bottom line or increase the price or maybe both. I'm betting China is already on the phone to Mexico trying to cut a deal with them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,301
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Don't you guys sell lots of sh1t to other countries? 20% the other way might hurt too.
    Currently we have a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. We have a lesser trade deficit with Canada. Excuse me if I am mistaken but when we ship goods to England isn't a VAT of 15 to 20 % tacked onto the price. Isn't that a form of tariff in itself? 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I doubt you see increases in BGE, or even Tequila... that are outside normal cost increases for raw materials, or the ebb and flow of normal taxes.

This is all polical and buisness posturing by everyone involved. If it worked out, sure I could see some slight increases, or perhaps less supply, and higher prices for high demand stuff.

But I also look at it, that maybe BGE will start to cast their stuff in the USA maybe. Maybe we have some agave growers stateside start to produce and flourish if they are in states with better alcohol laws. 

But again- posturing... this is all we will get. Bunch of headlines and posturing.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Taco shells will now cost $2.40 per box instead of $2.00? 
    I am heading to the streets on this one. No other president would not have done this to Americans. This is racist, and as such, misogynistic.
    I'm with Tacos.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    The genius of this plan is that we get to pay for it twice!

EXACLTY!!!! 

Import taxes are payed by the IMPORTING country!

So US taxpayers foot the bill for building the wall, then pay it again with import taxes. ROFL.