Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm a failure at steaks

Options
2»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Cast iron griddle at 900+ degrees.. sear 2 min on each side, let rest, bring pit temp down then throw steaks back on and cook to your liking. I usually pull mine off at 125 deg..
    in the pic is 2.25" NY strip. 

Oh yea, this was cooked on the minimax
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    As others have said--there is nothing wrong with MM. I had problems with coal being too close to the grid. Now use inverted woo for most of my cooks and don't have any problem. Also changed the original gasket with ruthland as egg was not sealing properly and had difficulty controlling temp. also bought Flameboss 200 for L&S cooks. 
    Did Filet Mignon yesterday and had no problems at all--Reverse sear at 250-275, pull about 10 degree before desired temp, in cast iron at 450-about 1min a side. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    It would help to answer some questions first: walk us through your process, setup,  what temp you like your steaks, do you use a meat thermometer?
    Also, what are you cooking?  Assuming beef, which cut, how thick, etc?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As others have said--there is nothing wrong with MM. I had problems with coal being too close to the grid. Now use inverted woo for most of my cooks and don't have any problem. Also changed the original gasket with ruthland as egg was not sealing properly and had difficulty controlling temp. also bought Flameboss 200 for L&S cooks. 
    Did Filet Mignon yesterday and had no problems at all--Reverse sear at 250-275, pull about 10 degree before desired temp, in cast iron at 450-about 1min a side. 
    right- nothing wrong that $300 worth of accessories won't fix :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    right- nothing wrong that $300 worth of accessories won't fix :)

Some folks need a crutch, I do not. Works fine, everytime.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Has anyone tried Competition Kingsford Briquettes in the Mini Mal?

Briqs work much better in the Smokey Joes with the grid being closer to the fire, evens things out.

I have used Comp K in my small(not for searing), but the grid height with the woo, is perfect.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    @Focker--will try Competition Kingsford Briquettes.  Have been using Charboil center cut, BGE charcoal and Rockland. I am very new to Kamado cooking and have lots to learn. This site is a great resource
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    bcsnave said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker 

Well there is your problem....I probably couldn't cook a "streak" either

Yep.  Cen-Tex cooks his undies.  Not very well, apparently.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @Focker--will try Competition Kingsford Briquettes.  Have been using Charboil center cut, BGE charcoal and Rockland. I am very new to Kamado cooking and have lots to learn. This site is a great resource
    Yes, Center Cut would be ideal here.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    enderw30 said:
    So I have tried to grill a steak on my mini max about 4 times now and have either overcooked it (twice) or undercooked it (twice). What is your method to grilling a great steak because whatever I'm doing it's wrong.
    There is no such thing as an undercooked steak...

If you dont have SV circulator, no worries.   Heres what to do:

Set steaks out of frigdge one hour before you cook them.  Set up mm indirect with stock or ci grid.  Get mm to 500 or so degrees.   Salt all sodes of steaks.  Works good on filets, new yorks etc.   Put on grill. Usually. 1" thick steak will take 4 mins per side. 2 then rotate then w more then flip and do sa.e and u have med rare hunk a meat love.  Anything beyond med rare is pot roast imho
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

If you dont have SV circulator, no worries.  
    Whats that?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    sous vide.  The hot water bath circulator for precise meat temperature control prior to placing meat on grill
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited December 2016
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    Alright man, I feel you on this. Cooking a steak is where the thermopen makes its money. I like a steak at 148*. That seems crazy to be so specific but that's what I cook them too. .

@VB_egger , I'm curious - what does the meat look like at that temp? (do you have any pictures handy?)

My partial guess is - You like that temp because 148 is when the meat muscle goes from a solid pink/red mass into individually distinguishable striations? That's my preference, though I thought that happened around 142...
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    Reverse sear has been my favorite way to make sure I hit consistent steak results.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    Alright man, I feel you on this. Cooking a steak is where the thermopen makes its money. I like a steak at 148*. That seems crazy to be so specific but that's what I cook them too. I go direct at 400 till done. If you don't have one it's worth the money. 
    You cannon cockers like to overdo everything!  To each his own but I do think it's cool that you have it down to a specific degree!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I actually f'd up plenty of steaks until I found the reverse seat method.  Now I'm also a fan of the SV and seat method as well.  I've done em on a large, mini, and mini max.  Good stuff. Don't quit.   Keep at it and you'all get it dialed in
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Go to youtube.  Theres a guy named dave somethink ski. Cant remember last name.  He has a video on his first time bge cook, making new york steaks.  Just a documentary of sorts that is easy to follow.  He shows his liquid refreshment while he has his cook going on. I think sierra nevada....

But do what he does for steaks and itll work out great....
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people post a question for an answer only to never return for the help they seek.  
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • enderw30
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I need to pay attention to the thickness more and invest in a good thermometer.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If mini max can . . i suggest you try reverse sear for steaks.  My fav method for sure . .  more than sv sear, direct only, etc.

You have 2 grates?  If so try this easy (easy bc no platesetter) for reverse sear:

1) Egg @ 250F w/ cast iron skillet on factory level grill grate 
    2) Insert grid extender over skillet, or if you just have an extra flat grate, rest it directly on top of  cast iron skillet.
    3) Place steak on top of grid extender (so skillet below blocks direct flame AKA indirect) I usually place some aluminum foil on skillet to catch any drips - avoid smoke etc
    4) Remove steak once internal temp is ~115F . . . tent
    5) Remove raised grid or extra grate, open egg 100% until dome temp reads around 600F 
    6) Sear on hot cast iron griddle 90 secs a side, pull (*optional - add butter and fresh herbs . . baste during sear)

This method is nice for two reasons:
    1) no need to mess with platesetter 
    2) cast iron stays in the whole time so reaches SEAR temp fast
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Hot as hell fire and a thermapen. There isn't much more you need. 

Could make a steak on some sheet metal over a camp fire. It's about temp. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax