Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Sifter tip

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I'd pass along something I find usefull. I've been using my old Weber kettle as a lump sifting platform. A full firebox of lump will fit on a 22" weber and you can easily pick out the stuff you don't want in the egg. Dust and small chuncks fall through the grid. I wear gloves and move the "cleaned" lump to the egg.[p]It's also a useful platform for lighting the chimney starter. I'm not dissin' the Weber, just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Here's another tip - When cleaning out the used lump in the BGE, I use a cat litter box scoop - one of the big plastic ones (new of course!) The ashes fall right through the slits, and makes it easier to salvage the partially used lump and get rid of the ash.

Be sure to use a new or unused scoop - don't want to give new meaning to ABT's!!!!(might have to change the name to ACT's!!!) Thank you very much, I :laugh: 'll be appearing through Saturday ....don't forget to tip your waitresses! :laugh:
  • Slap-Yo-Mama
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I have an old gasser I have not lit since I got my egg about a year ago but it is still out on the deck because it is the best place to light the lump chimney. I even built a fairly large table setup and still am using the gasser for the chimney and a place to set a gooey BGE grate. I may have to pull the burner out of it and start sifting though it as well, although the dingy lookin gasser is screwing up the ambiance of my egg and it's new granite table. Thanks for the tip!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Great idea...now I wonder if my nieghbor will give me back my old kettle? :)[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]that's exactly what I use my weber kettle for!
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Why, I think that would be a piece of cake! Here’s a plausible plan. First, sell ‘em on getting an egg and insure they have a positive initial experience. Within the first 4 to 6 weeks of their successfully using it, offer to get rid of the unused Weber “in the company dumpster” or something along those lines. Providence will give you the right words.[p]When or if they see it again, just say “I saw this post about using an old Weber for sorting lump..”.[p]Just a thought. :-)[p]

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Slap-Yo-Mama,[p]I know what you mean. I've used my gasser once in the last 18 months. [p]Well, I store my gooey BGE grates on it too, so I guess that's use in a sense. I know what you mean about the aesthetics; they are just not as beautiful as a BGE in a nice table.[p]They are still a good tool, especially if there is a disaster. You have a lot of direct grilling surface at medium high to low temps. That can cook a lot of chicken/fish pieces, sausages, hot dogs, brats etc. [p][p]

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Haggis,[p]Glad to know I'm not alone! :-)[p]