Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MONSTER plate ribs...but kind of weird...any butchers in the house? (pic heavy)

Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
So, this weekend I was at a new butcher.  Asked for uncut plate ribs (i.e., three bones, after some great successes recently with 4-bone chuck ribs).  Lo and behold, they produced two sets and I took both.  Dry brined with salt, coated with mustard and rub, and on they went at 225 (to 250) with hickory smoke for about 6 hours, spraying a few times with a water/acv mix. Then wrapped in foil with dark brown ale and Worcestershire and added back in at around 300 degrees until finished (around 200 degrees IT)

They turned out really well, but look at these things (especially the being-smoked shot and the cut shot on the board).  They were moist, juicy, meaty and delicious. But they were striated in layers, with denser "brisket flat" type meat on top, with more steak like in the middle and with fall-apart short-rib texture on the bottom.  

Any thoughts? To be clear, I am not complaining...the impact of the presentation of these was amazing and as I say they tasted great.

Toronto ON

Comments