Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA No Close on BGE Large Dome!

Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
After smoking the 2 butts last night for the Firehouse I went to do cleanup this morning. Open the dome, all is good. Went to close and it would not! Only moved down about 2" at the handle. Worked it a bit, no change! Looked at the gasket areas, top and bottom, free and clear all around. Inspected the hinge, all looked good.
So I grab a box end wrench and started to rotate each bolt from the nut side. I found one of the pivot bolts had actually tightened up! WTH??? Spun it back a bit and all is well in Prosper TX!!

So PSA of the Day is:           Check your NUTS!! =)
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Same issue on my XL many years ago.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    There should be two nuts on the bolts in that area if I am think along with you correctly. I've had mine move too, but it took about a dozen years. I think mine loosened though, which caused a misalignment of sorts and a hitch upon opening. Good PSA.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Happened on my XL, this is the email I got from them:

If your XL Egg is difficult to open or close, the grill is telling you it is time to perform some preventative maintenance.  Over time the hinges will tighten up each time the hinge assembly is opened and closed.  The XL has (2) side hinge assemblies and (2) rear hinge assemblies.  There is a linkage bar connecting the upper and lower brackets on each hinge.  There are (2) nuts and bolts on each of these linkage arms.  Make sure each nut is completely tight, then back (loosen) it off ¼ turn.  Apply lubricating oil ( 3 in 1 oil or gun oil) or graphite powder to each of those pivot points and work the hinge.  DO NOT USE WD40.  This adjustment should let your hinge work normally again.  Do this on a yearly basis to keep the hinge assembly in good operating condition. 

Once you have lubricated and adjusted the hinges, check the placement of the black bands and  tightness of the carriage bolts.   To move the bands on an XL Egg you must first remove the springs.  When the bottom band is too far down, it can cause the dome set back on the base and you start losing the adjustability of the side hinges.  The bottom band needs to be mounted 1/4” below the bottom gasket.   Make sure the bottom band is level and tighten its carriage bolt until the ends of the black bands are about ¾” apart.  Next make sure the top band is level and tighten its carriage bolt the same amount.  The placement of the top band is not as crucial.  Just make sure the band is level and tighten its carriage bolt the same amount.

Check the placement of your bands and tightness of all fasteners at least once a year to keep the grill in safe operating condition.