Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump (Minor Rant)

Ran out of my lump this weekend and went to my local ACE.  They don't carry anything but BGE and Cowboy lump.  Figured WTH, grabbed the green stuff for some ribs and a fatty this weekend.

I was amazed by the nasty smell coming off the lump even after a 5 hour rib cook.  I figured it would have cleared up but it was rough.  Makes me realize how spoiled I've become to better quality lumps.

TL;DR
My lump stinks.
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    People do not realize the difference until they try it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Believe it or not, we have customers that insist on the BGE lump over RW. They like the smokey flavor I guess. I can nudge them over to the good side but it doesn't always take. I don't have a problem with the final product at all on LS cooks, but if I'm cooking or baking without wood smoke the difference is real for sure. 
  • Soooooo- what do you normally use and where do you buy it?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW 95% of the time I find the red bags of Royal Oak to be just fine. I suspect it may vary by region.  I have, had a couple of loads that were crap and would not burn clean even after hours.  That can be infuriating.  I don't mind a little smoke flavor from the lump but it is normally a good smoke. A couple of times it was burning as if I had just lit the lump for hours.  There was one occasion that I pulled the food off the and put it into the oven.  I ran the egg at 600 until the devil's turd hidden in the lump finally burned away, waited for the egg to come back down, then put the food back. 

Again this is just 1 in 100 cooks.  Most of the time it burns just fine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Soooooo- what do you normally use and where do you buy it?
    Fire craft.  Basques or Rockwood.  Shipping yields a lot of broken pieces, but it's free.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited January 2017
    I like Fogo. A very neutral flavor, burns long and has free shipping. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Big_Green_Craig Good to know...thx.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have used RO almost exclusively for a long time.  Always been very happy with it.  Very little "burn off" time, start cooking real quickly.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    RW, Fogo or WG
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Believe it or not, we have customers that insist on the BGE lump over RW. They like the smokey flavor I guess. I can nudge them over to the good side but it doesn't always take. I don't have a problem with the final product at all on LS cooks, but if I'm cooking or baking without wood smoke the difference is real for sure. 
    I only recently tried Rockwood, and overall, I do think I like it better.  

But for most of the years I've had my BGEs, I've used BGE lump, and I loved it.  And yes, I loved the smokiness!  I haven't yet cooked a plain spatchcock chicken seasoned only with olive oil, salt and pepper on Rockwood, and I'm a little nervous I won't like it.  Because I've done it many times with BGE lump, and I LOVED the very mild smoky taste it had with no wood chips at all.  It didn't taste like "smoked chicken," but it just made the chicken taste like a wood fire to me, a camp fire, a wonderful outdoors flavor.  When I tried doing that with a gas grill, years ago, it looked different than roasted indoors in an oven, but I always thought it tasted like I'd roasted it indoors.  I LOVE the smoky, outdoors/wood fire flavor that BGE lump gave plain roasted chicken.  I'm a little nervous that if I try it with Rockwood, it'll be more like the ones I used to try on a gas grill, years ago, just won't have that mildly smoky flavor.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    RO is fine and a bargain - I buy RW occasionally to spoil myself

in my first year of egging I bought almost all bge lump and remember thinking it smelled similar to kingsford when lighting 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I like Fogo. A very neutral flavor, burns long and has free shipping. 

Fogo Photo?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    Theophan said:

But for most of the years I've had my BGEs, I've used BGE lump, and I loved it.  And yes, I loved the smokiness!  I haven't yet cooked a plain spatchcock chicken seasoned only with olive oil, salt and pepper on Rockwood, and I'm a little nervous I won't like it.  Because I've done it many times with BGE lump, and I LOVED the very mild smoky taste it had with no wood chips at all.  It didn't taste like "smoked chicken," but it just made the chicken taste like a wood fire to me, a camp fire, a wonderful outdoors flavor.  When I tried doing that with a gas grill, years ago, it looked different than roasted indoors in an oven, but I always thought it tasted like I'd roasted it indoors.  I LOVE the smoky, outdoors/wood fire flavor that BGE lump gave plain roasted chicken.  I'm a little nervous that if I try it with Rockwood, it'll be more like the ones I used to try on a gas grill, years ago, just won't have that mildly smoky flavor.
    I think as long as you cook it direct or raised direct you'll be happy. I feel like I am a fan of the same flavor you describe and it's the chicken fat vaporizing on the lump below that basted the bird with a kiss of my childhood. I don't use smoke wood of any kind with my chicken any longer, but I go direct for that flavor I think you are describing. Only one way to find out. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

Most of the smoke from RO and BGE lump is due to some of it not being completely carbonized/still raw wood. It looks more like wood a brownish color, the pieces with bark are always suspect and always heavier, I look for them when dumping in the egg and after lighting it will smoke like crazy so I look for the nasty smokers and pull em out with a pair of tongs. It's a pain in the A&& for sure but my choices are limited to Cow-boy or Royal Oak. I know I can order better online with free shipping I just don't have room to store much in a motor home.

It takes a little extra work but one can get RO & BGE lump to burn very clean.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I like Fogo. A very neutral flavor, burns long and has free shipping. 

Fogo Photo?
    ???????
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Theophan said:

I've done a couple of birds on Rockwood lump, some with added wood chunks for smoke, some without.  I like Apple wood best, by far, with chicken.  Did pecan last night, and it wasn't strong enough IMO.  

Haven't used BGE lump, but came ><this close to buying some when I bought my last bag of Rockwood.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Prowe
    Prowe Posts: 26
    I have been using fogo for a little over half a year. Burns clean and lasts. I will say my one gripe is that though I love big chunks, some of these pieces are so large they have their own zip code. But overall pretty nice stuff. I was going to buy some bge lump, as they sell it in the hardware store down the street from the house I just moved to, but may just order more fogo.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    I used Bge for about my first 100 cooks or so. Then switched to rock wood and KJ and have stayed with those two brands. 

Last month i went camping, my wife bought the small Bge lump bag and that's when I noticed the difference.  I lit it and could not believe the smell it puts off. It almost smelled like wet wood burning or even a hint of an accelerant. The steaks tasted ok but that was the moment where I realized I'll never pay for that again. 
    VA Beach
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Every time I have ever used RO my wife has complained about the food. I mostly use KJ lump because it's really neutral and I can get it locally.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    We've just gotten used to the neutral flavor of the rockwood. Got my local ace to start carrying it. Sells it way more than cowboy and even kingsford he said.  

Gives me a little deal on it once they had to raise the price. I buy 2-3 bags a time minutes from the house. 

Before that I used it all. BGE is smokey but does have a good flavor and works fine ususlly. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JRWhitee said:
    They just opened an Ace a mile from me, I went in there Sunday and they were selling BGE Lump for $29.00. Way too much...
    Wow. I can get Rockwood from my Ace for $24.99. Not sure about the BGE Lump price as the only bag I have used was a free one I got when I purchased the egg.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited January 2017
    On my lasy bag of RW.  Been through 1 pallet in 1 year.  :anguished:
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    JRWhitee said:
    They just opened an Ace a mile from me, I went in there Sunday and they were selling BGE Lump for $29.00. Way too much...
    Wow. I can get Rockwood from my Ace for $24.99. Not sure about the BGE Lump price as the only bag I have used was a free one I got when I purchased the egg.
    That's what my Ace charges, which is why I buy my RW from Firecraft. No tax either.  Plus I don't have to go to Ace (none conveniently located).
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited January 2017
    I'm a Rockwood guy. Baking wins hands down with RW. A can add any chips or chunks I want for flavor. Buy 3 at a time; need to just get a pallet sometime!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    JRWhitee said:
    They had Rockwood for $24.99 as well, I just couldn't believe 29 for BGE 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I think as long as you cook it direct or raised direct you'll be happy. ... it's the chicken fat vaporizing on the lump below ...
    I've only cooked spatchcock chicken indirect and pretty hot.  I've gathered on this forum that some get great results raised direct.  I might try it.  And of course if I do a spatchcock on Rockwood and it really isn't smoky at all, I could use a little wood next time.  I've just done it many times on BGE lump and loved it.  But as you said, only one way to find out.

dgaddis1 said:
    I've done a couple of birds on Rockwood lump, some with added wood chunks for smoke, some without.  I like Apple wood best, by far, with chicken.  Did pecan last night, and it wasn't strong enough IMO....
    I like some wood smoke if chicken is highly seasoned, but I think on a very simply, salt-and-pepper roast chicken, I don't want much smoke flavor, just a little.  I'll have to try it on Rockwood one of these days.  I've been putting it off because I'm worried I'll put some time and care into cooking one and will be disappointed.  We'll see.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    If you're buying at Ace, make sure you sign up for their rewards program. 
  • pgprescott
    Theophan said:
    I think as long as you cook it direct or raised direct you'll be happy. ... it's the chicken fat vaporizing on the lump below ...
    I've only cooked spatchcock chicken indirect and pretty hot.  I've gathered on this forum that some get great results raised direct.  I might try it.  And of course if I do a spatchcock on Rockwood and it really isn't smoky at all, I could use a little wood next time.  I've just done it many times on BGE lump and loved it.  But as you said, only one way to find out.

dgaddis1 said:
    I've done a couple of birds on Rockwood lump, some with added wood chunks for smoke, some without.  I like Apple wood best, by far, with chicken.  Did pecan last night, and it wasn't strong enough IMO....
    I like some wood smoke if chicken is highly seasoned, but I think on a very simply, salt-and-pepper roast chicken, I don't want much smoke flavor, just a little.  I'll have to try it on Rockwood one of these days.  I've been putting it off because I'm worried I'll put some time and care into cooking one and will be disappointed.  We'll see.
    @Theophan I'm a convert to the raised direct myself. I always did the indirect at a temp @ 300-400. Now I'm raised direct close to 350-400. No smoking wood required IMO. Go for it.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    JRWhitee said:
    That's what my Ace charges, which is why I buy my RW from Firecraft. No tax either.  Plus I don't have to go to Ace (none conveniently located).
    Talk to the manager and try  buying in bulk for a lower price. I buy 10 bags of rockwood every 4-6 months from my ace hardware at $19.99 per bag. I don't go through it that fast. Five of those bags go to a fellow egghead. I have saved a lot of money doing that . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic