Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Skirt steak help

BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited 10:04AM in EggHead Forum
I've got a 3lb skirt steak to grill tonight. I did one a few weeks ago stuffed with a mushroom,garlic, parmesan, and parsley mixture. I'm pretty sure I cut across the grain when eating but it was real tough and chewy. I grill at about 450 to med rare and let set for a few minutes. Any ideas how I can improve this cut of meat without cutting up for fijattis? Thanks, Tom
·

Comments

• RumrunnerRumrunner Posts: 563
    Bajatom, cutting thinly across the grain is a must with this cut of meat. Not over cooking helps, too, and I see you are not going to do this. Try the below marinade, it will help to make it more tender.[p]Great for Skirt, Flap, Flank and Top Round London Broil[p]Here is one you can make at home and it uses pineapple juice, rum and ginger to give you a 'Caribbean' flare.

1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/3 cup rum
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ginger, grated
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    (optional) 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed (optional)[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Pour marinade over steak and allow to marinade in refrigerator for 3-6 hours.[p]

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for the info. Tom

·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,849
    Rumrunner,
    What is your Rum of choice for a marinade?
    Thanks,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
    Photo Egg, el Cheapo or whatever you have on hand at the moment. Sorry I couldn't be more explicit.

·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,849
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks. Light or Dark rum.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
    Photo Egg, again, your choice, but I prefer the dark for it's flavor.

·