Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt...how long?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I want to thank all you kind folks here for the education you've given me as I have read your posts and worked my way through some of the archives. As a relatively new Egger, the successes I've had, have come in large part from you all. Thanks![p]Now my question. I am contemplating doing my first Boston Butt. I am just a little concerned over how long a large Egg can hold 190 degrees or so, totally unattended. If you take care to build a reasonably good bed of lump and get your temp stabilized at 190, how long can you reasonably keep the Egg closed and unattended before you might have to tend to the coals or the Butt for that matter?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    HenryG, funny you should ask - the large will hold longer than my medium - I put two 5 lb butts on it last night at 5pm and they are still cooking - currently have an internal temperature of 178 - the BGE made it through the night unattanded and I haven't any any lump since it started.[p]BTW - I typically try to hold the dome temperature in the 240-250 range - during this cook it was never less than 210 - I just opened the vents and let it rise to 300. [p]Good luck - you'll love the results![p]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    HenryG,[p]Hey, we aren't related are we?? hehe[p]Cook your butt at 250* dome indirect and shoot for an internal temp of 200* Fill your Egg with lump right up to the bottom of the fire ring and you should get 24+ hrs of cooking unattended (large Egg) Most butts of 7-8 lbs or so will take 16-18 hrs.[p]Good luck[p]K~G

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    HenryG,
    I've had some mysteriously take longer or shorter times. It's been amazing how you can do any part of the pig!!! I've recently done shoulders, butts, and a whole LEG!!! It all turns out great.