Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt At Paella

Options
Always wanted to try this. Need to find a traditional Paella pan but the ole Calphalon worked great. Need more scallops next time. Used the recipe put of the magazine from the Egg Store I got last week with chicken thighs. I added shrimp and scallops. (safron must be made of gold) $21.00 for a tiny bottle! However it was outstanding. 

Comments

• Mikeymise
    Options
    If you really enjoyed it, and plan on making it again, you should look into buying an ounce of saffron threads.  About $60.  Quality is way better than $$$upermarket types.  A regular at our house is littleneck clams, chorizo and peas with saffron rice.  At least twice a month.  The ounce lasts a few years, and costs about a buck for each use.  
  • plandreth
    Options
    I will def be making again. I also had chorizo but forgot about the peas. I will also use clams. Wanted to but couldnt find any here. Thanks for the advice on the safron. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I bought this size pan on amazon and it fits the large including handles perfectly.  It easily feeds 6-8 people.  I saw a post where someone bought a bigger size and removed the handles.  I wanted the handles and this one fits best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DL4YGZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This rice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046CERZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s03?ie=UTF8&th=1

And this saffron.  Only it pretty much goes bad within days after opening the tin.  But it was reasonable.  Next time I'll vaccum what I don't use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OKTBVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Grilltastic
    Options
    Did you cook direct or indirect. Looks like i ser the platesetter. Also did rice get crispy on bottom. Great cook, very impressive.
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I dig it! cheers! Looks great!
  • plandreth
    Options
    I cooked direct. That is what was let of the coals. (i did 2 pizzas indirect afterwards lol) I was so impressed. If I were to cook fried chicken, I know i could do it on the egg. I started out searing the chicken and they were frying. Had the coals at 500 degrees per the recipe to sear. The rice did not get crunchy. I stirred often and kept adding broth.  It was perfect. I could not find the recommended rice so I used brown long grain. 
  • Mikeymise
    Options
    Brown rice?  You gotta try the Bomba rice.  Worth the cost.  A few times a year we do paella for friends using chicken thighs (bone in, skin on), chorizo, mussels, and shrimp.  Fantastic combo.
  • plandreth
    Options
    I tried to find the Bomba rice as well as calasparra. No luck. A couple good links in this thread so next time will be ready!
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    The pan makes a difference.  As does the rice.  

The pan is so thin it helps with the socarrat formation.  Once I add all the liquid I stir once to incorporate.  That's it.  I have also found rotating the pan a couple times helps with creating an even socarrat for me as well.

This thread makes me want to make some paella real soon!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I swear paella is like brisket, it's more of an art than a science. Looks like a great start. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Congrats.
    BTW- here's an eggcellent paella recipe link:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I buy the rice and chorizo on Amazon.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions already. Rice matters. Use excellent broth/stock. Use good saffron (it's expensive but a little goes a long way.) The pan matters. Basically with this dish use the very best ingredients that you can find - they make or break the meal. Amazon is your friend. The Naked Whiz link has good information.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would so tear that up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow