Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pickles for Pulled Pork?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Pickles usually stay in fridge for pulled pork . . but going to try the pairing this time.  Seems to be very popular.  

Suggest sliced dill? Sliced sweet? Something else?
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Deep fried dill if you use a "sweet" sauce on your pork. Sweet pickles(bread and butter or sweet gerkhin) if you use a vinegar sauce.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a bread and butter lover and I enjoy the kosher too, but I like the sharp dill sliced rounds for the rich fatty pulled pork meal. I also like just raw shredded cabbage right on the sammich. Enjoy
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pickles on barbecue? Really? How odd. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    Options
    I would serve on side. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    The hit of sharp pickle is a quite logical pairing for bbq. Just like a vinegar based sauce used by millions. .????? Doesn't make sense?
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    And 'slaw with a vinegar based dressing is a "pickle" of cabbage. Sounds pretty normal a pairing.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • pgprescott
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    And 'slaw with a vinegar based dressing is a "pickle" of cabbage. Sounds pretty normal a pairing.

Jim
    I'm down with this too. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    i don't use pickles but would think something like Wickles would be good. A little heat and vinegar bite to cut through the grease. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    If your local supermarket has them, or you're near a Costco, Famous Dave's are really good.
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks . . got bread butter b/c going vinegar slaw . . combo makes sense but I never have done it before . . sweet zing crunch!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    I love wickles!  Can't find them anymore though . . 
    Columbus, OH

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Totally non-traditional, but I love dill pickles with chinese food.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Possumtrot?  Those Gator pickles are da bomb!  He may chime in.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Txnfireman
    Options
    Kool aid pickles...
  • Txnfireman
    Options
    I've done a blue cheese slaw and kool aid pickles for a different spin....just an idea
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Options
    NDG said:
    I love wickles!  Can't find them anymore though . . 
    Try Walmart

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    #1 Famous Dave's Signature Spicy
    #2 is Nathan's Gourmet Sweet Horseradish

I keep the Famous Dave's spears on hand, eat 'em on the side.
    Like stated, the sweet, tangy, heat is a nice compliment. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    everyone I know in the area suggests gator pickles. still have yet to try them though
    LBGE circa 2016
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Coul said:
    everyone I know in the area suggests gator pickles. still have yet to try them though
    @Possumtrot.  @Stache?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Was introduced to Gator Pickles a little over a year ago by my BGE dealer and thought they were the bomb.  Took some to the Ga Mtn Fest and gave to some of the cooks I thought might like.  Also gave Gator pickle okra. -  was surprised at people who like them.  These are produced by Louisiana outfit who were affected by the floods last year.  Good people, good product. We keep them on hand.  @The_Stachehas put them in several recipes with good results - but he also makes his own beer so he's pretty creative.
    definitely another flavor profile with pork BBQ.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• NDG
    Options
    I will have to keep an eye out for Gator Pickles . . available around Ohio - or is this an online order only item? http://shop.creativecajuncooking.com/gator-pickles/ 

Columbus, OH

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Myself....I prefer both dill chips....and bread & butter pickles with my pulled pork. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I have been making my own quick pickles since the summer. I like sour much more than sweet, but you can always add more sugar.  They will keep for 6 to 8 weeks in the fridge. I love them on pulled pork, grilled cheese and smash burgers.
    5 - 6 medium cucumbers slices (I use a mandolin, use the holder and save fingers, don't ask how I learned)
    2 cups vinegar
    4 Tbl. Sugar
    4 tsp. Salt
    4 tsp. Mustard seed
    4/5 bay leaves
    4/5 garlic cloves
    small palm full of red pepper flakes (more or less to suit taste)
    Bunch of fresh dill

put all ingredients except cukes and dill in a small sauce pan and bring to boil. Pour over cukes and dill.  When cooled to room temp, put pickles in a covered container in fridge. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Fried pickled okra. Best of both worlds.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options

I'm hooked on Famous Dave's Signature Spicy that I learned about on this forum. I like the chips on burgers and spears on the side with just about anything else BBQ related. They are awesome with a good grilled cheese sandwich.

Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Eggaroo said:

I'm hooked on Famous Dave's Signature Spicy that I learned about on this forum. I like the chips on burgers and spears on the side with just about anything else BBQ related. They are awesome with a good grilled cheese sandwich.

The perfect sweet, warm, tang.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    NDG said:
    I will have to keep an eye out for Gator Pickles . . available around Ohio - or is this an online order only item? http://shop.creativecajuncooking.com/gator-pickles/ 

We don't have them locally (Middle Tennessee) so I order them direct.  I've heard that certain BGE dealers have been known to stock them.  Give them a try! 

(Only affiliated as a VERY satisfied end user!!)

Rick 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM