Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how big a turkey on a large bge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
how many pound turkey will fit on a large bge?[p]on my other larger smoker i usually stand it up like a beer but chicken. will it fit like that in a bge?[p]im gonna honey brine it and rub it with yet to be determined rub..

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    benny, three times now I have done BIG birds between 24 and 26 pounds. HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    benny,
    The biggest turkey that I can fit vertically in a large egg is 18 pounds.
    Rich

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    benny,
    it really depends on the breed and shape of turkey.
    Some turkeys breed are very heavy on the breast and I have got in a 28 lb bird on a vertical roaster.
    Some turkey breed are long and leaner on the breast and I have had problems with a 20 lb bird.
    I usually stand my vertical roaster in a stainless steel bowl with a little stock, to stop the juices from burning, over a direct heat, and find my usual cooking time is about 3 hours at about 325 degrees.
    The expert on turkeys is Mad max and you can read the definitive version on turkey cooking on the Naked Whiz's site.
    Roger