Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Watching The Women's March?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Now don't just go to google. That's boring. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you needed whatever empowered majority for anything back in 2010, then let the record show that we were gifted the ACA without any republican votes.   I don't want or need to get into discussions about how many votes constitute a super majority or what you need in terms of getting legislation to the POTUS' desk but that did happen with the constituency of the Congress at the time.  And they had the hammer-and used it.  
    Hammer has changed hands (large or small). The pendulum of government always swings.  FWIW-
    My friend is alive today because the ACA.  She got terminal brain cancer.  Through her coverage she did not have to declare bankruptcy and they found it to be a rare type of skin cancer that happened to form not on the skin, but in her brain.  She was treated accordingly and has made a full recovery.  She should have died last year.   Sorry it's such a terrible thing for you, Lou. 
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you needed whatever empowered majority for anything back in 2010, then let the record show that we were gifted the ACA without any republican votes.   I don't want or need to get into discussions about how many votes constitute a super majority or what you need in terms of getting legislation to the POTUS' desk but that did happen with the constituency of the Congress at the time.  And they had the hammer-and used it.  
    Hammer has changed hands (large or small). The pendulum of government always swings.  FWIW-
    My friend is alive today because the ACA.  She got terminal brain cancer.  Through her coverage she did not have to declare bankruptcy and they found it to be a rare type of skin cancer that happened to form not on the skin, but in her brain.  She was treated accordingly and has made a full recovery.  She should have died last year.   Sorry it's such a terrible thing for you, Lou. 
    Is she low income I assume? Otherwise she could have purchased the coverage regardless. Btw I'm sure, like myself, everyone is 100% for people that have to go through such terrible circumstances.

If we put governors on cars to limit speeds to 20mph, we could save unmeasurable amounts of lives. My own father has been decimated by caring for my late mother in what he considered a dignified manor for years of dementia and Alzheimer's. I get it, let's not pretend that bankruptcy is equivalent to living though. I'll take the financial ruin. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm not here to discuss the pro's and con's of the legislation-just how we got to where we are with what we have.  
    And I am sure there are many more stories like the above.  I happen to be on record as having supported the ACA (even on this forum) as something needed to move the whole industry off bottom dead center. Mission accomplished.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

onedbguru said:
    I will be so glad when everyone actually realizes that if you are an American, we do have a new President - like him or not - voted for him or not - Time to get over ourselves and use that angst energy for something that will actually be productive - like start a business, help others, mend social relationships and flat out just get over ourselves.  

Let's Q something!!!! 
    Sort of like what the republican congressmen did the past 8 years. 
    Didn't the dems have super majorities in both houses for two years. Before the o bomb was detonated 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

Are you saying "you. Are correct sir"?
    You said "supermajority". Well, actually you said "super majorities". Supermajority is the correct term.

The 111th did not have a supermajority in either house.
    Are you sure? You know that's not an official term, right ?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/95th_United_States_Congress
    Pretty sure - 

https://ballotpedia.org/Supermajority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supermajority

But "super majority" might be acceptable in some circles, just like "ain't" or "irregardless" are also accepted by some. :)

Is this your way of arguing after you know you were embarrassed on the merits. 
    Well help me out.

The page you linked to says this:

It was the first time either party held a filibuster-proof 60% super majority in both the Senate and House chambers since the 89th United States Congress in 1965, and last time until the 111th United States Congress in 2009.

The 111th Congress did not have a 60% majority in either house of Congress.

• February 4, 2010: Republican Scott Brown's election to the Senate ended the Democratic supermajority.[15]
    I agree they had a supermajority for 10 months in that two year span.

In Sept 2009 the Dems had 58 seats

In Feb 2010 the Dems had 57 seats

I didn't see anywhere where they had 60 seats. Now 2 Independents did caucus with the Dems that could be argued I guess that the Dems did have a "supermajority".

The definition of "supermajority" I have always used is the two thirds necessary to override a presidential veto. 60% is not enough to achieve that (assuming all members of Congress actually voted). In the Senate 60% is enough for cloture (which the Senate reduced from the 2/3 needed in the 1970's) to end a filibuster but that has nothing to do with an actual vote on legislation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    She has a degree, I'm not sure if she found out she was sick between jobs or what, but she works and wasn't able to get it because it's a preexisting condition until the ACA.  She's been living with her BF for years who's an old friend of mine who's a mechanical engineer.  They live in Lafayette.
    Options
    That's right^^^^
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    So you'll take the financial ruin - and get treated through medicaid.  Wonder who pays for that. 
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm not here to discuss the pro's and con's of the legislation-just how we got to where we are with what we have.  
    And I am sure there are many more stories like the above.  I happen to be on record as having supported the ACA (even on this forum) as something needed to move the whole industry off bottom dead center. Mission accomplished.  FWIW-
    So you support it, but don't like that it passed because it was done by a democratic caucus?  I'm not sure I understand your beef.  The concept was originally republican, and you have to admit the 111 congress onward were almost blind obstructionists to anything dems wanted to do.
    Options
    So you'll take the financial ruin - and get treated through medicaid.  Wonder who pays for that. 
    Hey, again, it's all bad. We always pay. I will argue that no system is made less expensive or efficient by being administered by a huge govt bureaucracy. I get the desire for the ends, but the means, I don't agree. The thing was sold by intentionally lying about the key aspects. I say lie because it has been proven through foi that he knew he was lying at the time and they discussed the deception and need to do so.

If one one is going to go bankrupt, which is not the end of the world, I can think of no more useful reason than to save, improve, or extend your life or that of your most cherished loved ones. It's only money. There are plenty of really happy people with very little. They are wealthy in other ways though. It's a matter of priorities imo.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    She has a degree, I'm not sure if she found out she was sick between jobs or what, but she works and wasn't able to get it because it's a preexisting condition until the ACA.  She's been living with her BF for years who's an old friend of mine who's a mechanical engineer.  They live in Lafayette.
    I'm glad it worked out. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Missed most of this, but I think y'all have everthing worked out. I am voting for any of you that run for office.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

onedbguru said:
    I will be so glad when everyone actually realizes that if you are an American, we do have a new President - like him or not - voted for him or not - Time to get over ourselves and use that angst energy for something that will actually be productive - like start a business, help others, mend social relationships and flat out just get over ourselves.  

Let's Q something!!!! 
    Sort of like what the republican congressmen did the past 8 years. 
    Didn't the dems have super majorities in both houses for two years. Before the o bomb was detonated 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

Are you saying "you. Are correct sir"?
    You said "supermajority". Well, actually you said "super majorities". Supermajority is the correct term.

The 111th did not have a supermajority in either house.
    Are you sure? You know that's not an official term, right ?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/95th_United_States_Congress
    Pretty sure - 

https://ballotpedia.org/Supermajority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supermajority

But "super majority" might be acceptable in some circles, just like "ain't" or "irregardless" are also accepted by some. :)

Is this your way of arguing after you know you were embarrassed on the merits. 
    Well help me out.

The page you linked to says this:

It was the first time either party held a filibuster-proof 60% super majority in both the Senate and House chambers since the 89th United States Congress in 1965, and last time until the 111th United States Congress in 2009.

The 111th Congress did not have a 60% majority in either house of Congress.

• February 4, 2010: Republican Scott Brown's election to the Senate ended the Democratic supermajority.[15]
    HE replaced Mr. Chappaquiddick himself Teddy Kennedy and campaigned HEAVILY that he would be the 41st vote AGAINST Obummercare.  then Dirty Harry changes the rules and gets the biggest clusterFFFF of a change to the American People passed, signed, sealed, and delivered in a BS procedural move - reconciliation.  "We have to pass it, to see what's in it", she says!  "This is a big F-in deal", he says!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Who did Brown beat? In MA? That was a stunner in those parts. 
    Another worthless female candidate nominated by a cocky Dem party that knew there was no way she would lose to a stupid Republican Man.  Wow, that sounds very familiar.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Salted caramel pots de creme are in the SV now - something sweet with a bit of salt seems like a fitting end cap to this thread:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Salted caramel pots de creme are in the SV now - something sweet with a bit of salt seems like a fitting end cap to this thread:

Best part of this post. Looks like you got a party or seconds?
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    As of 9:55am this morning, most women are still in DC waiting in line for the restrooms.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Is this recipe on the autonova sight?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    As far as crowd size goes......not sure if comparing the two is apples to apples. First black President in history vs. just another white guy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i watched some of this march, if they were marching for free over the counter anti depression meds i think they made their case =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Is this recipe on the autonova sight?
    No. I'll post the whole thing later, probably in a separate thread.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I know way too many people where the ACA cost them more than $800-1000/mth premium with a deductible > $6K/yr - essentially paying someone else's care and being forced to be "self insured" as they never meet the deductible. Yeah, the ACA is really affordable.  It was only affordable to those that "qualified" as low income.  And most had far better insurance BEFORE the ACA.  Let's be very clear here.  It was illegal for a hospital to turned away someone because of inability to pay. No one died because they didn't get treated and most hospitals, after attempting to collect, would eventually write those loses off and increase fees for their paying patients.  With gov't dictating that everyone buy insurance, the fees for those services went up even higher because now, there were "deep pockets" from which to bill.   So, it was an absolute unmitigated disaster from the outset.  My employer paid 100% for my wife and I until the "ACA".  Now, in the last 6 years, my portion as gone from zero to >$300/mth. Luckily, I only have a $250/pp/yr deductible.   For me, that is a $3600/yr pay cut - and took $$$ out of my fun fund whereby I could have purchased another Egg or 2. Todate, it has cost me ~$21,600.00.  Yeah that was really "affordable". 

They like to tout some xM people now have insurance that didn't before.  What they don't say is that >xM people lost their insurance, hundreds of thousands lost their jobs because the ACA, most lost their Drs, and a lot of Drs just quit all because of the ACA. 

The most idiotic thing about the ACA is that "kids" can stay on their parents insurance until they are 26.  In generations past, by the time most were 26, they had moved out, got a job and were parents themselves.  We have raised 2 generations of spoiled rotten snowflakes. If there were an apocalypse, most would not survive as they would not be able to find a "safe space".   
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    lousubcap said:

I know way too many people where the ACA cost them more than $800-1000/mth premium with a deductible > $6K/yr - essentially paying someone else's care and being forced to be "self insured" as they never meet the deductible. Yeah, the ACA is really affordable.  It was only affordable to those that "qualified" as low income.  And most had far better insurance BEFORE the ACA.  Let's be very clear here.  It was illegal for a hospital to turned away someone because of inability to pay. No one died because they didn't get treated and most hospitals, after attempting to collect, would eventually write those loses off and increase fees for their paying patients.  With gov't dictating that everyone buy insurance, the fees for those services went up even higher because now, there were "deep pockets" from which to bill.   So, it was an absolute unmitigated disaster from the outset.  My employer paid 100% for my wife and I until the "ACA".  Now, in the last 6 years, my portion as gone from zero to >$300/mth. Luckily, I only have a $250/pp/yr deductible.   For me, that is a $3600/yr pay cut - and took $$$ out of my fun fund whereby I could have purchased another Egg or 2. Todate, it has cost me ~$21,600.00.  Yeah that was really "affordable". 

They like to tout some xM people now have insurance that didn't before.  What they don't say is that >xM people lost their insurance, hundreds of thousands lost their jobs because the ACA, most lost their Drs, and a lot of Drs just quit all because of the ACA. 

The most idiotic thing about the ACA is that "kids" can stay on their parents insurance until they are 26.  In generations past, by the time most were 26, they had moved out, got a job and were parents themselves.  We have raised 2 generations of spoiled rotten snowflakes. If there were an apocalypse, most would not survive as they would not be able to find a "safe space".   
    fake news